Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
"I do not finance (mortgage) so it would be easier to do this at a lower price"????????

You are buying a valuable asset from vulnerable elderly people at below market value. You don't want to give them market value because "I do not finance".

Honestly, this does NOT sound like you doing them a good deed. This sounds like you conning them out of the equity in their home. DON'T DO IT!

There are many other ways of them staying in their own home, that are legal, ethical, and don't involve you getting the equity in their home by means of a supposed "good deed".

And just so you know, if either of them needs to go into a nursing home in the next 5 years after you 'buy' the house from them for just what's owed on the mortgage, the government will come after you for the equity in the house, that you took from them, and they'll take it from you to pay for their nursing home care.

So, really, stop yourself from taking the equity in an elderly couple's home, by means of a 'good deed'.
No they wouldn't. The people would be penalized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 03:35 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,812 times
You need to consider the consequence of owning two homes.

If YOU end up needing government assistance for whatever reason (food stamps, medicaid), you'll be toast owning two homes.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
You need to consider the consequence of owning two homes.

If YOU end up needing government assistance for whatever reason (food stamps, medicaid), you'll be toast owning two homes.
Are people with multiple homes considering mooching off of society?

Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,777,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
No they wouldn't. The people would be penalized.
Yes, they would. The government does a look back of five years, to see if people had assets that they transferred so as to be able to qualify for Medicaid. If the elderly couple had been foolish or demented enough to have transferred the house to him for only what was owed on it, and the house had equity in it that the man received as a "gift", since obviously he didn't pay them market rate, the government will go after HIM for that asset that he received from the elderly couple.

This was instituted because so many people were transferring their elderly parents' assets to themselves, so that Medicaid would pay for the parents' nursing home care.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:39 AM

823 posts, read 1,055,733 times
I imagine there might also be income tax implications if it’s considered a gift?

Old 03-25-2019, 09:54 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
MrsM and I ate 73 and we are far from elderly
Nothing personal, but you are not middle aged, so that leaves.....

I'm 52 and don't consider that middle aged either as I doubt I'll live to 104.

As to the original question: doesn't seem like it would be in the best interest of your friend's to do this.

I do think there are IRS issues if there is a lot of equity involved, it may be considered a gift in part.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-25-2019, 02:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nothing personal, but you are not middle aged, so that leaves.....

I'm 52 and don't consider that middle aged either as I doubt I'll live to 104.

As to the original question: doesn't seem like it would be in the best interest of your friend's to do this.

I do think there are IRS issues if there is a lot of equity involved, it may be considered a gift in part.
LOL I reject the middle aged label and then do math.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:17 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,722,163 times
I want to see some numbers. How much is left on the mortgage and what is the house worth today?

Old 03-25-2019, 04:45 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I want to see some numbers. How much is left on the mortgage and what is the house worth today?
Yeah, there is all kinds of stuff the OP didn't share. At this point, to me, the owner's absolutely shouldn't do this.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate