Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 11:48 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times

Advertisements

I bought my Craftsman home back in May 2018 and now wonder if I should have waited for an old character home in a neighborhood without unsightly high rises/condos. My home is 4 houses from a major street. Across the street is an ugly 6-story high rise and a monstrous size modern house next to that. The only older homes are two neighbors and I. IMO, the homes with majority of older homes are more attractive and have less auto traffic than my home. Do buyers mention things like this when shopping for older homes? If I had the time, I suppose that a designated Historic neighborhood would have been my preference, but alas I was in a hurry to buy and had a crappy millennial realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 12:59 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I bought my Craftsman home back in May 2018...but alas I was in a hurry to buy ...
1. If you move now, you will probably lose money.
2. Haste makes waste.
3. Take a deep breath and wait a year.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:24 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Will buyers pay more for a quiet neighborhood?
Most will. But it still has to come with 3 or 4 other positive features.

Quote:
I bought my Craftsman home back in May 2018... 4 houses from a major street.
Across the street is an ugly 6-story high rise and a monstrous size modern house next to that.
Do buyers mention things like this when shopping for older homes?
People will ask for Craftsman's and "close to ......." all the time.

btw. I'm ignoring the whine.
Hunker down for five years or so and THEN look around at things.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:48 PM

738 posts, read 765,532 times
Maybe a few percentage points more on the quiet parts of a neighborhood. Cul de Sac houses are the prime example of this.

Lots of the other factors that determine a loud or quiet neighborhood are baked into other price points and may wash out. For instance larger lots will lessen traffic but their more expensive to begin with. Loudness due to high density uses may actually be a sign of higher values because large buildings only get built in areas with expensive real estate(urban cores, transit, a nice park, water views). Even Cul de Sacs have been found to increase congestion so quietness in front of the house gets replaced with more traffic congestion right after that.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:00 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
OP, why didn't you check out where you lived at prior to signing? Did you go explore the area without your realtor to get a feel for the house and surrounding areas? It's one of the first things that I do.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Does the busy road have places people want to walk to, like restaurants or a coffee shop?

That can be worth enough to cancel out the high-rise.

Did your "crappy millennial realtor" force you to sign or something??

Old 03-30-2019, 06:41 PM

243 posts, read 268,431 times
Yeah go ahead blame realtors and millennials for YOUR mistake

Old 03-30-2019, 11:22 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
Yeah go ahead blame realtors and millennials for YOUR mistake
Lol. The crappy millennial realtor didn’t warn me about the faulty foundation in part of the house. He kept telling me that he was going to buy me a bathroom mirror, wine for the opening and a dinner to wherever I wanted and followed through on NONE of them!! I shouldn’t have to remind him. It was a “lay-down” sale that he really didn’t work that hard for. Can’t stand the idiot- I only picked him because of a referral from a Facebook “friend” who recommended him. I’m not totally unhappy with the home. I only wish that I would have picked a better realtor that knew what he was talking about. The home is situated near a street with walkable bars and restaurants that would appeal to some people.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:58 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Lol. The crappy millennial realtor didn’t warn me about the faulty foundation in part of the house. He kept telling me that he was going to buy me a bathroom mirror, wine for the opening and a dinner to wherever I wanted and followed through on NONE of them!! I shouldn’t have to remind him. It was a “lay-down” sale that he really didn’t work that hard for. Can’t stand the idiot- I only picked him because of a referral from a Facebook “friend” who recommended him. I’m not totally unhappy with the home. I only wish that I would have picked a better realtor that knew what he was talking about. The home is situated near a street with walkable bars and restaurants that would appeal to some people.
A real estate agent is not an engineer - what makes you think he or she should be more responsible for the condition of anything in the house than you? And why in the world would a person hire anyone for anything based on what a remote Facebook "friend" had to say? With your attitude I'm surprised you're not living in a house of straw.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:07 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Did you buy this house sight unseen? Did you visit the neighborhood at different times of the day? Did you have a home inspection done by an inspector who you hired independently of your realtor? Did you interview at least three different realtors before signing on with the one who you seem to loathe? Was this your first house buying experience?

Realtors, at least to me, are "gate keepers" and nothing more, i.e., I see a house(s) that I would potentially like to buy, they get me in. If I like it, I hire the necessary inspectors to make sure that everything is solid and/or to be made aware of potential expenses associated with the house's maintenance. The realtor handles the paperwork. Done. Realtors are neither home inspectors, nor home selectors, nor interior decorators.

Your realtor's age has nothing to do with your experience. There are realtors who are a good fit with their clients and in tune with their needs and those who are not.

Take a look in the bathroom mirror that your "crappy millennial realtor" failed to buy for you and you might just have the answer to your woes with this house and its location. Take it as a lesson learned the next time you purchase a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate