U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2008, 10:38 AM

7,088 posts, read 11,730,360 times
I appreciate the advice and answers you all have given me. You all are such a big help and have such a tough job.
Peace to you all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
In our area, if you have a septic system allocated for a 2 bedroom home, then it needs to be sold as a 2 br home. Not a 3 bedroom. You can call the other room anything you want except 3 bedrooms, OR.. you can increase the septic system to a 3 bedroom. That ususally consists of adding more lines to the system. The agent and/or homeowner could be fined/sued in this instance if they do not market the home properly.
Geez, what a mess. Getting sued. Apparently the original homeowners were told that having the same septic for the 3 br was okay and this was about 12 years ago.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:30 AM

74,405 posts, read 34,585,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Geez, what a mess. Getting sued. Apparently the original homeowners were told that having the same septic for the 3 br was okay and this was about 12 years ago.
So maybe you can pull the original permit that allowed them to do it (add a room with no septic improvements) and get yourself grandfathered in ?

Unless it was verbal..then you're SOL.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:51 AM

10,156 posts, read 16,361,719 times
When we had to replace our entire septic system in our last house on one acre, we technically had 2 BR and 1 bath. However, there was a large "bonus" room which we used as a Florida room. The county told us based on the square footage, we would need a larger drainfield than we previously had, but the tank was a 900 gal, for 2 BR. Maybe you can get by with the larger field?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
In our county you just need to take the doors and closet rod/shelf out to render it into an office. Take the bedroom door off as well. It sounds stupid, but it passes around here.

Good Luck
Maybe Texas will be like California and let us do this. Don't know yet.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So maybe you can pull the original permit that allowed them to do it (add a room with no septic improvements) and get yourself grandfathered in ?

Unless it was verbal..then you're SOL.
It was done verbally I think. They cannot find any kind of paperwork on it.
Lots of close family ties in the Fredericksburg area and if the attourney at the time was a family member, he may have said go ahead. Apparently that's what happened but it seems like the person that sold us the house would be in trouble for not getting any paperwork done. Buying the house 3 years ago was a breeze and we didn't have to go through any of the paperwork we're going through now. Somethings fishy. I just hope our buyer doesn't give up on this and withdraw his contract.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:39 PM

7,574 posts, read 7,036,456 times
Quote:
I just hope our buyer doesn't give up on this and withdraw his contract.
If I were your buyer and wanted your home, that wouldn't scare me off. Both of you have invested much time and energy and I'm certain they want this transaction to take place as much as you do. Sending positive thoughts your way. Good luck song.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:43 PM

856 posts, read 2,924,509 times
You should try to explain to the buyers that it's more about frequency of pumping than the specifics of what the original septic plan was. There are charts available online that will tell you how often the tank should be pumped based on the size of the tank and the number of people in the household. This might give your buyer more peace of mind knowing that there's nothing wrong with the system - they just need to make sure they pump it out based on how many people are using it.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:50 PM

7,574 posts, read 7,036,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
You should try to explain to the buyers that it's more about frequency of pumping than the specifics of what the original septic plan was. There are charts available online that will tell you how often the tank should be pumped based on the size of the tank and the number of people in the household. This might give your buyer more peace of mind knowing that there's nothing wrong with the system - they just need to make sure they pump it out based on how many people are using it.
Wendy is right. Our septic failed a few months back and a reliable source told us for the size of the septic system and the amount of people living in the home, our septic should be pumped every 2 years. Someone else told us 3 -5 years. Big difference.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:52 PM

5,887 posts, read 6,709,761 times
Quote:
I'm confused and would appreciate your advice in this situation. We're getting caught in county regulations (Texas) concerning the septic system and we need to redesignate the structure as a 2 br vs. a 3 br. Supposedly the county thinks that as long as the br has a closet, it's designated as a bedroom. The septic is large enough for a 2 br and that's it unless we can get rid of a closet in the 3rd br and call it a den or whatever. Anyone ever hear of anything so stupid? We were supposed to close on our house last week and now they're bringing up this crap.
I'm not sure what the issue is. You have a 2 bedroom house. In that 2 bedroomn house there is a room with a closet, that can be used for any number of things. What is the concern? Is the county saying that it's not a 2 bedroom house? Or are you saying it's not? I guess I don't understand the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate