Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:09 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
If I were your buyer and wanted your home, that wouldn't scare me off. Both of you have invested much time and energy and I'm certain they want this transaction to take place as much as you do. Sending positive thoughts your way. Good luck song.
Thanks Jeannie. The buyer wants it pretty bad and even sent us a letter this past week when the closing date was changed because of a variance/paperwork that was failed to be done. Now this thing with the septic. I am just hoping he doesn't throw his hands up at this other problem and say forget it. Thanks for the positive thoughts. Looks like we need em now. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I'm not sure what the issue is. You have a 2 bedroom house. In that 2 bedroomn house there is a room with a closet, that can be used for any number of things. What is the concern? Is the county saying that it's not a 2 bedroom house? Or are you saying it's not? I guess I don't understand the question.
We have a 3 br house but the 3rd bedroom was added on by the original owners but the septic tank remained the same (for a 2 br house)
Now we are being told that because of this 3rd br that was added on 12 years ago, is not allowed to be there because we only have space for a septic tank for a 2 br house. What we were told this morning was that because all 3 br have a closet, regardless of if they're being used for bedrooms or not is not coinciding with what county law says. There is no solution yet as of what to do but taking out a door and using the closet for shelving or whatever is what another poster had mentioned and we're going to ask if we can do that.
My realtor is out of town now due to her brothers death and won't be back until Monday. We didn't want to call her today and burden her with more problems.
I don't really have a concern other than the fact a couple of people involved are making an issue of this and it's never been brought up before.
I just wanted to see if you good realtors had ever heard of anything like this or had to deal with it.
Hope this makes sense to you now. I'm confused about it too and probably am not making too much sense.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:52 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
This is an important issue for resaleability of the home. While it might not be a big deal to the current buyers, they need to know it may be a big deal to future buyers, and THEY will have to take care of getting it either permitted properly or replacing the septic.

Out here you can't just "add on" to a drain field. You have to do an entirely new one. This is a significant cost. Out here you could just remove the closet and call it a den, but that doesn't change the issues with the property for the future.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:02 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
We have a 3 br house but the 3rd bedroom was added on by the original owners but the septic tank remained the same (for a 2 br house)
Now we are being told that because of this 3rd br that was added on 12 years ago, is not allowed to be there because we only have space for a septic tank for a 2 br house. What we were told this morning was that because all 3 br have a closet, regardless of if they're being used for bedrooms or not is not coinciding with what county law says. There is no solution yet as of what to do but taking out a door and using the closet for shelving or whatever is what another poster had mentioned and we're going to ask if we can do that.
My realtor is out of town now due to her brothers death and won't be back until Monday. We didn't want to call her today and burden her with more problems.
I don't really have a concern other than the fact a couple of people involved are making an issue of this and it's never been brought up before.
I just wanted to see if you good realtors had ever heard of anything like this or had to deal with it.
Hope this makes sense to you now. I'm confused about it too and probably am not making too much sense.
Someone needs to ask for some clarification. Is the county really taking theposition that ALL rooms with a closet & a door are bedrooms? Am I not allowed to have a study or a library or a sewing room with a closet? A computer room, with the ability to keep my kids from it? How very odd.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:17 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Someone needs to ask for some clarification. Is the county really taking theposition that ALL rooms with a closet & a door are bedrooms? Am I not allowed to have a study or a library or a sewing room with a closet? A computer room, with the ability to keep my kids from it? How very odd.
In Oregon it is a legal bedroom if it has a closet, door, and escapable window. So if your den has a closet, and the other two, it is bedroom.

Most people don't care, except when it comes to septics. Then it really matters...

Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 PM

I wonder who makes up all these stupid rules. I need to go on the Oprah show and whine about it. LOL
All our bedrooms have closets and windows but we only use one for a bedroom, and one for a computer room. Nothing really for the 3rd room.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:30 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
This is an important issue for resaleability of the home. While it might not be a big deal to the current buyers, they need to know it may be a big deal to future buyers, and THEY will have to take care of getting it either permitted properly or replacing the septic.

Out here you can't just "add on" to a drain field. You have to do an entirely new one. This is a significant cost. Out here you could just remove the closet and call it a den, but that doesn't change the issues with the property for the future.
When I moved larger mobile home 28 by 60 onto property which added bathroom,tank was o'k but had to have more drainfield added.They use bags,pipe filled with styrafoam,so many square feet to comply.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 AM

I don't think they can add anything to ours. We're on 1 acre of land and to have a septic tank of the size we have, it is supposed to be on 3 acres of land. That was something the original owners did and it was okay then but not okay now. No paperwork on any of this can be found.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Song, you're best bet is to probably take out the closet and sell it as a 2 bedroom with den

Old 04-12-2008, 01:11 PM

We heard today it was going to be discussed in commissioners court Monday night. I just personally think too much of an issue is being made of this. Since it's not been a problem in the past, it shouldn't be a problem now but since it is, we are printing off this from the forum and giving it to the attourney to see if any of these options will be of help to us.
Again, thanks to all of you for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate