Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:22 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,916,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I usually do showings in my pajamas, you guys don't?

Kudos to you for being gracious, and no it's not appropriate for an agent to behave that way.

Me...I would have told them to look around outside and to come back in 31 minutes.
I don't like to wear shoes much. That's just how we do it SC though. It's more comfortable than flip flops though the ratty shorts are a must. Gotta be comfortable.

Disclaimer...I'm joking...there's good and bad in everything. Maybe she'll bring you an offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 05:39 PM

739 posts, read 2,945,394 times
oh Carolina, I feel for you. Sometimes I do wonder about people that are coming in, those are typically the same ones who don't leave feedback, I honestly wonder how many of the neighbors who aren't selling have been in my house. Really wish I had a hidden camera, then maybe I"d get some true feedback.

We had an agent who came by to preview, so we were here, he showed up an hour early, we had just gotten back from vacation and I had stuff everywhere so I told him to come back. He comes back, says he's going to bring some clients... he brings them the next day at the scheduled time. Then teh next day, I leave to go pick up my kid from school and he's out front w/ a guy. HE says, "can I show your house now"... I said, um, ok just give me a sec. luckily it was still very clean and I just grabbed the dog and went. I was a little wierded out by that but he seemed pretty normal and I was excited thinking this was a serious buyer. Our realtor followed up and he said he loved it, they loved it, priced right (everyone has said this) but they aren't ready to buy. Well, I'm sure this is yet another person who listed their home!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,255,955 times
Quote:
I usually do showings in my pajamas, you guys don't?

Kudos to you for being gracious, and no it's not appropriate for an agent to behave that way.

Me...I would have told them to look around outside and to come back in 31 minutes.
SILVERFALL! THAT WAS YOU! I knew it! I had a feeling when you showed up in your pink sponge curlers that you were making a grand appearance. hahah! And a big HA to the 31 minutes. Yeah I should've said that. Mental note for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I don't like to wear shoes much. That's just how we do it SC though. It's more comfortable than flip flops though the ratty shorts are a must. Gotta be comfortable.

Disclaimer...I'm joking...there's good and bad in everything. Maybe she'll bring you an offer.

Brandon - well ratty shorts is how we roll in NC/SC. I wish I were mean enough (read: brave enough) to post a picture of homeslice. I went to her website and had myself a ripe laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
oh Carolina, I feel for you. Sometimes I do wonder about people that are coming in, those are typically the same ones who don't leave feedback, I honestly wonder how many of the neighbors who aren't selling have been in my house.
DJ: Well the process is what it is. This incident amused me a bit after all was said and done. I'm sure others can share bigger and better "war stories". I just thought it was interesting that most Realtors I see are dressed to the 9's and have that whole "Glamour Shot" thing going on (read: heavy make-up and big hair like Brandon ). So to have some rude random come to the door looking like she just rolled out of a ditch was kooky. Oh well. We'll see what comes of it.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:08 PM

31 posts, read 164,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
It's one reason why I chose a listing agent who accompanies all showings. Some of the buyer's agents who arrived early for appointments when I didn't have accompanied showings were definitely odd. This was uncomfortable enough, but it also didn't give me a lot of confidence in the kind of people they'd be bringing into my home.....
That's one solution to preventing some of the crazies from coming out, but then you're limiting the number of people who get to see your property.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:14 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,248,389 times
Wow...sounds like the buyers were embarrassed to be with her. Sounds like a true professional. LOL

I know it's hard to turn people away if the market is bad there but I'd sure do it to anyone who behaved like that. 9 minutes.....heck it takes 9 minutes to get all my kids' shoes on and them and the dog in the car. Nothing could actually be tidied up in that time.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,754,363 times
I thought shorts, t-shirts, ball caps and dirty sneakers was only Arizona formal!!!

Looks like it's formal attire in other states also.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

Well, as long as you wash your feet before you enter the door. Instead of the blue booties we can have a bowl for washing your feet...I serve tall blades o grass fer chewin' at my open houses, and y'all can't ferget yer straw hat.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:08 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I thought shorts, t-shirts, ball caps and dirty sneakers was only Arizona formal!!!

Looks like it's formal attire in other states also.
Hey throw on a rumpled blazer that has been sitting in your car for about three years and you are good to go!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:14 AM

252 posts, read 877,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
The showing service called me to schedule a viewing. Told me the agent wanted to come over in 9 minutes. Not ten. Not five. But 9 minutes. heh... I advised them that the notice was too short and could they give me a half hour. Ten minutes later, there is a knock at my door. A lady with ratty shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops announced "I have an appointment here!". I explained that I rescheduled the showing due to short notice. She said "Can we come in anyway?". This gal didn't identify herself, didn't offer a card, nothing. So I asked "Is your agent coming also?". She got extremely huffy and said "I AM THE AGENT".

Well eeexcuuuuuuuse me! Oy! The couple that were with her was clearly embarrassed and very apologetic.

Is it common to have agents just show up at your door and approach you in a rude, defensive manner? Even after a showing has been rescheduled?? This was quite an experience...
That is not the norm but I have seen it. That is one of the reasons my company only has 4 agents. Most do not like my standards (they call them Rays Rules). All appointments should be made the night before if at all possible. I am sure you know if you are having a showing a day in advance so give the seller the same notice...Women...No sneakers, no shorts, decent hair and make-up anytime you are in the office or with a client (buyer or seller).. No smoking while with clients (I don't care if it is your car) You must allow 2 hours between clients in order to have time to get assistance if there is a delay with client #1.. No more than 2 clients for showing in a day. (more than that you have to either rush the first one or be late for the second one,) and being late is totally unacceptable. Keep your car clean..Its your office away from the office.. Name tag whenever working

Gentlemen- No Shorts, must wear a tie if in the office or with clients (yeah, even when its hot and humid, this is a professional business, look the part) Must wear your badge whenever working, Leave a card at all showings, Shine on your shoes, Same rules for showings, no smoking

Must become a Realtor (held to a code of ethics by NAR)
Rule 1. Client is the most important person.
Rule 2. Second most important person..see rule no.1 My company will probably never have more than 5 or 6 agents, but our referral business is growing by leaps and bounds.
Hopefully you will not experience that again. Have your realtor put in CSS that 1 hour notice is required. Good luck and I hope you do not hold that against agents. I am sure that she will not be in the business for long (or if she does get some training)

Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 AM

414 posts, read 1,255,955 times
Quote:
Well, as long as you wash your feet before you enter the door. Instead of the blue booties we can have a bowl for washing your feet...I serve tall blades o grass fer chewin' at my open houses, and y'all can't ferget yer straw hat.
HAHAHA...... I'll put on my "good robe" for this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate