Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 10:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times

Advertisements

Our house is under the active option period (Texas). Outmatches potential buyers keep coming back asking for another inspection. They did the whole house, the roof, the pool, the HVAC and a pest inspection. So far 5 inspectors, and now they want another one.

Their realtor seems really frustrated, my realtor’s trying to have a positive attitude. I am at my wits end because our house is technically off market until the option period is over. It’s been three weeks and I am done. Start negotiating or pull your offer.

Needless to say I had the conversation with my realtor. He wasn’t inclined to push, because it is an offer and the market is slowing. I truly hate the active option period in Texas, it screws the sellers.

Anywho, has anyone experienced having so many inspections?? This is crazy IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 08:23 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Our house is under the active option period (Texas). Outmatches potential buyers keep coming back asking for another inspection. They did the whole house, the roof, the pool, the HVAC and a pest inspection. So far 5 inspectors, and now they want another one.

Their realtor seems really frustrated, my realtor’s trying to have a positive attitude. I am at my wits end because our house is technically off market until the option period is over. It’s been three weeks and I am done. Start negotiating or pull your offer.

Needless to say I had the conversation with my realtor. He wasn’t inclined to push, because it is an offer and the market is slowing. I truly hate the active option period in Texas, it screws the sellers.

When I buy my investment properties, I generally do between 3-6 inspections. Why would you spend that much money on something and not inspect it completely?

That said, a three week inspection period is too long. Ours are generally 10-12 business days here.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:15 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:

What is the "another one" inspection for? Two of the inspections (roof and HVAC) may have been recommended by the Inspector after finding issues requiring full checks. The other three inspections are standard inspections that ALL buyers should have performed.

The option period here is Texas actually not only helps buyer but also protects the seller. If the seller's disclosure is complete and accurate once the option period is completed and the buyer moves forward they have had their opportunity to decide whether or not they can live with what was found. If they do it is now on them and the seller is covered.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:20 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
What is the "another one" inspection for? Two of the inspections (roof and HVAC) may have been recommended by the Inspector after finding issues requiring full checks. The other three inspections are standard inspections that ALL buyers should have performed.

The option period here is Texas actually not only helps buyer but also protects the seller. If the seller's disclosure is complete and accurate once the option period is completed and the buyer moves forward they have had their opportunity to decide whether or not they can live with what was found. If they do it is now on them and the seller is covered.

And, the buyer is conservatively laddering inspections, so as not to blow all their money in one go before proceeding.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:30 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
In AZ you put in one repair request and that is all you get. We do all the inspections we need before that repair request comes through. Nothing you mentioned seems out of the ordinary other than pest, whole home, and pool should have been scheduled together; when I buy I normally do 4-6 individual inspections.

Do note that you thinking their realtor seems frustrated is likely very far from the truth.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
If only the inspectors knew a little more than the basics you might not have so many requests. But if buyers want them it is best to allow them. And don’t think you have to do any silly repairs. Every dollar the buyer spends increases their psychological investment in your home.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

And, the buyer is conservatively laddering inspections, so as not to blow all their money in one go before proceeding.

I advise my clients to do that if I can not get to their inspection quickly. I also tell them if they find something in the lesser cost inspections that would make them walk then call me ASAP to cancel the whole home inspection. I've saved some clients big bucks on my fee that way. It's their option period they paid for and laddering the inspections can help them save time, money, and aggravation.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If only the inspectors knew a little more than the basics you might not have so many requests. But if buyers want them it is best to allow them. And don’t think you have to do any silly repairs. Every dollar the buyer spends increases their psychological investment in your home.

Did the OP send you a copy of the report? What was in it that resulted in the additional inspections, if they were recommendations from the Inspector?

Old 05-30-2019, 10:49 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Thanks all, it is good to know others have had multiple inspections. I have never experienced this before so just find it completely odd. We just had our roof replaced due to hail damage a month ago. So the inspector and the roofer were frustrated they were even here. When I hear from the inspectors and both agents they think the buyers are going overboard, that is what sets me over the edge.

The next inspection they want to do is a leak inspection for the pool. We had one done before we put it on the market so sent that over to them.

I should clarify (easier to type on my computer). We had one buyer pull out, got an offer the next day. They have 10 days for this option period, so it has been back to back option periods.

Appreciate everyone's insight!

Old 05-30-2019, 01:46 PM

724 posts, read 529,952 times
Quote:

I actually did something like that when I bought up here in Dallas. I had a Whole Home, Plumbing, Foundation and Pool inspection (so only 4, because it was a new roof) - but I only had 10 days to do this in... how'd you get to 3 weeks? What's the inspection they want now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate