Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:36 AM

4,014 posts, read 1,869,510 times

Advertisements

My point is that some young people I see struggling with student debt are not "struggling" at all to pay for their new Silverado. Used cars, just a few years old, are highly reliable and a great bargain. Buy one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 07:51 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,970,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
Young people generally can come up with $250/month, reliably demanded. They do NOT have $5000 upfront AND up to $2000/year in repairs.
There's a middle ground in there. You can finance a $5,000 car for $100/month and still have plenty of cash flow for any repairs. And those repairs are not going to be $2,000 a year.

Even $5,000 is more than is really necessary for a simple "A to B" car for a single person.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,738,934 times
I don't get why people are mad that these millennials are being honest and some have said they have gotten help. People have been getting help for centuries to buy properties.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 7,946,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't get why people are mad that these millennials are being honest and some have said they have gotten help. People have been getting help for centuries to buy properties.
They’d hate me!

Old 06-12-2019, 06:50 PM

801 posts, read 614,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
My point is that some young people I see struggling with student debt are not "struggling" at all to pay for their new Silverado. Used cars, just a few years old, are highly reliable and a great bargain. Buy one of those.
Those "a few years old" cars are not a great bargain. They are often without warranty and only marginally less expensive than new, which often offer 0% financing or $99/mo. leases with nothing or next to nothing down, if they time it right.

And the newer cars just don't last like the old ones did. They are not highly reliable.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
There's a middle ground in there. You can finance a $5,000 car for $100/month and still have plenty of cash flow for any repairs. And those repairs are not going to be $2,000 a year.

Even $5,000 is more than is really necessary for a simple "A to B" car for a single person.
That's "years ago" talking... a $5K auto loan will be for a car that's about 10 years old. A standard, not-great-credit (because HOLY EFFING DEBT-TO-INCOME RATIO for those student loans, at the very least) "kid" might get about 13% interest. The term will be maybe 2 years... credit isn't easy like it used to be. That's just shy of $250/mo.

For a car that will need repairs, keep you from your low-paying job, get you fired when you're floundering for transportation to work AGAIN...

A cheaper new car, with a full warranty, is slightly more in payments if you buy... and a lease is often far less.

I became an adult in 2001. I had no problems getting long-term, low-interest loans to buy reliable vehicles. My car payment was $87/mo. It was a pittance.

That doesn't happen for most young adults now. Older people tend to have better options available to them. Older friends of mine with similar incomes (and many with a worse credit history) have long-standing credit lines of $25K+ on incomes similar to mine... I'm younger... they got those deals and were grandfathered in... I wasn't. I'm stuck at a third of that. My younger siblings are stuck at a third of mine for their age and similar incomes. That's just how it is now, unless you've had co-signers to prop you up with them from that previous period or have a wildly-higher income.

Do you want a 2007 Camry for $215/month (let's say they got 3 years instead of 2 OR a slightly-better interest rate), coming up on a litany of costs to keep it passing inspection and maybe lose your garbage-paying job for unreliability, or a 2019 sedan for $257 with a 10 yr/bumper-to-bumper warranty?

Old 06-13-2019, 07:35 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,970,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
Do you want a 2007 Camry for $215/month (let's say they got 3 years instead of 2 OR a slightly-better interest rate), coming up on a litany of costs to keep it passing inspection and maybe lose your garbage-paying job for unreliability, or a 2019 sedan for $257 with a 10 yr/bumper-to-bumper warranty?
That's not a realistic comparison, and you're really exaggerating the numbers.

The 2019 Camry's starting price is $24K. Unless you think they are offering 8 year 0% loans, you're not getting a $257 payment.

$5,000 at 10% interest on a 3 year loan is $161. Compared to $775 for the base price Camry on the same loan terms.

Okay maybe you get a good interest deal: $24K at 2% for 3 years: $687 per month

Maybe they give you a nice 6 year term too, on top of the 2% interest ...it's still $354 a month!

The $5,000 car gets you paid off 3 years sooner and saves you literally thousands of extra dollars per year, which you can easily use to pay for any maintenance.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:57 AM

213 posts, read 157,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Terrible example. UPenn is one of the most selective colleges in the world. It will absolutely make a difference going there vs Penn State. That's not to say you don't make a very good point. But, UPenn is one of the schools that is worth it.

UPenn is definitely a good school (being Ivy League and all), but that whole concept of average pay by college is obviously a classic correlation/causation fallacy. Keeping everything else constant, of course the average UPenn grad is probably going to be more successful than the average StateU grad: getting accepted into the Ivy required a higher level of drive and intelligence. It has far less to do with the caliber of school than the caliber of the average student.
In any case, my point was that major choice is far more important. I'll bet money on a much higher career success ($$$ earnings) of a Computer Science graduate from Penn State than a History/Art/fill-in-the-blank Studies grad from UPenn.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:38 PM

4,014 posts, read 1,869,510 times
This is probably a weakness of my own, but when I review resumes, I don't care much about the University at all - just that there was one.

If you're wondering if a "better education" leads to a better employee...eh, hard to say.

If you do your job well, you'll be paid accordingly. If doing your job well correlates to "finer" universities, then I guess that's that...but I'm pretty sure there's not much of a connection.

So it really is about getting your foot in the door, and from that perspective, it's heavily weighted on the student's end. That is, the student feels pressure to get in a better University (>$$$$) for contacts and a "foot in the door," while, in the long run, the employER cares very little about your pedigree. (On average, I mean - there are certainly exceptions.)

This is way - way -far from the OPs topic. Fun conversation though!

I'm not mad, by the way, that anyone got help pursuing their goals - I'm just annoyed the author feels it's such an impossible road without this help. It's not. Difficult, yes. Impossible? Hardly.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
That's not a realistic comparison, and you're really exaggerating the numbers.

The 2019 Camry's starting price is $24K. Unless you think they are offering 8 year 0% loans, you're not getting a $257 payment.

$5,000 at 10% interest on a 3 year loan is $161. Compared to $775 for the base price Camry on the same loan terms.

Okay maybe you get a good interest deal: $24K at 2% for 3 years: $687 per month

Maybe they give you a nice 6 year term too, on top of the 2% interest ...it's still $354 a month!

The $5,000 car gets you paid off 3 years sooner and saves you literally thousands of extra dollars per year, which you can easily use to pay for any maintenance.
Small, new Kia sedans are 0% for 66 months. $257/mo. Fresh credit - along with a relative willing to co-sign for a new, heavily-warrantied vehicle - makes that possible. A lender is more willing to go along with that than finance an old car.

With a small difference, many find it more worthwhile to go new.

Because really, how likely are they to save the difference they're not spending on the payment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate