Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 03:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Yes, but typically mortgages are front loaded with interest so very little of your payment is applied to the principal.

What one hopes for is that $330K house you bought appreciates to say $375K. If it has not appreciated (meaning a higher selling price), you could end up losing money on the deal.
No they’re not. You’re paying a higher amount in interest because you have a bigger loan balance. You pay additional to principal you’re paying less interest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 03:50 PM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I think the reason you pay more interest at first is because as the balance goes down on what you owe you pay less interest amount on it.
that is correct , but mortgages are not front end loaded ... front end loaded are like some auto loans where the rate varies with a higher rate early on and a lower rate later averaging out to the agreed rate .

mortgages are not front end loaded . it is the same interest all the way through on the balance

Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I think people are talking a bit at cross purposes about what front-loaded means.

This is a helpful explanation IMO - it's factual to say that you pay more in interest each month at the beginning of a mortgage than you do at the end even on a fixed rate mortgage where your interest and your monthly payment amount stay the same for the life of the loan.

https://www.thetruthaboutmortgage.co...stly-interest/

Old 06-13-2019, 04:49 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
I can't believe this is a post by someone who actually already has a mortgage. Not trying to be cruel but you would think that someone who was making the biggest purchase of their lives would take a half hour to get some idea of how it all works The level of ignorance is shocking. I can only hope this person had a home inspection or did other due diligence during their purchase.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:48 AM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i am not surprised ...the public spends more time researching a car , a refrigerator or a restaurant then any of the most important financial issues of their lives ...

Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I can't believe this is a post by someone who actually already has a mortgage. Not trying to be cruel but you would think that someone who was making the biggest purchase of their lives would take a half hour to get some idea of how it all works The level of ignorance is shocking. I can only hope this person had a home inspection or did other due diligence during their purchase.
The OP said "sorry if this sounds like a stupid question" so now that makes you look bad for taunting him. Would you have rather he not ask? Some may say your level or arrogance is shocking too.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:04 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Hey they had to put signs on lawnmowers warning people to keep hands away from the moving blade...welcome to the real world.

Look how many people are led by the leash by a real estate agent because they are too lazy to actually take some time to understand the home buying process and what it entails. How many people do you hear say there is a lot to buying a house. Yeah there are some steps but it’s not insurmountable. People today just want the EASY button and to have it done for them.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:35 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaproblem39 View Post
Thanks. So basically the longer I own the house and the longer I continue to make payments, if I do sell in the future I can expect a larger return because I’ll owe less to the bank.
Yup! And hopefully the house will appreciate in value, although that doesn't always happen.

House prices do go up and down in a cyclical manner so when you're thinking of selling and if you have time, watch the house sales in your area and notice if they are high or low at the time. Obviously, you want to buy when the prices are low and sell when they are high.

Real estate is frequently used as a way to generate wealth, which is why numbers people get all excited about it.

When making loan repayments, such as to a credit card company, they will add interest to what you owe and then ask for a minimum payment, although unless you pay more than that, you'll be paying them forever. That's an example of a simple type of loan.

A mortgage usually isn't a straight loan where you pay the principal and interest back each month in the same amount. Generally, if you got your mortgage from a bank or traditional lending institution, it will be 'amortized'. It's a sneaky bank thing. 'Amortized' means at the beginning of the loan, more of your monthly payment goes towards the interest and less goes towards the principal. That keeps the amount you owe higher longer so the banks make more interest. Frequently, folks will sell a house before it's paid for so the banks want to get the interest quickly. With an amortized loan, the bank has collected more interest if the house is sold before it's paid for than if it were a non-amortized loan (same ratio of interest to principal each month).

Early on in the loan period, if you have any extra little bit of money to put towards the principal of the loan each month - and be sure to specify in writing that it is to be applied against the principal in the loan and not the interest, otherwise they will just apply it towards the next month's interest which doesn't help you as much at all - anyway, if you have a little extra now to apply towards the principal, it will really reduce what you owe on the house a lot faster. Or, if you get a windfall of some sort, apply that to the principal of your mortgage to decrease the number of payments you'll have to make.

Another strategy is to get a thirty year mortgage (which has lower levels of interest at the beginning payments than a fifteen year note), but make payments as if it was a fifteen year mortgage and apply the additional payment amount each month towards the principal. I forget the exact numbers, but that can pay off a thirty year mortgage in something like ten or twelve years. Of course, you're paying a much higher monthly amount, but it's for a much shorter amount of time. And overall, you'll end up paying a significant amount less for the house. If you ask the numbers folks, they'd probably figure it out for you. I have a banker fishing buddy and this is what he was explaining to me one day when the fishing was slow.

He was also telling me that paying the mortgage in two monthly payments instead of one reduced the amount paid at the end of the loan by quite a bit, too, but I forget the details on that. If the payment is due on the 1st, he recommended paying half of it two weeks early and then paying the remainder on the first or when ever the due date is.

He also recommended having a paycheck deposited into a savings account and then having about 80% of it ported over (the bank automatically does this) to the checking account or whatever account is used to pay bills. We had been paying bills and hoping to put the remainder into savings but it never seemed to get there. By putting it into savings first, somehow we managed to pay the bills on what was in the checking account and the savings started piling up. Later on it was enough for a down payment on some property, it was amazing.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:38 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I think the reason you pay more interest at first is because as the balance goes down on what you owe you pay less interest amount on it.
by jove, I think he's got it.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:50 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i am not surprised ...the public spends more time researching a car , a refrigerator or a restaurant then any of the most important financial issues of their lives ...
Right you are. Maybe someone needs to explain how mortgages work on Yelp....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate