Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
I am just starting grad school and I will make about $20,000 in the form of a Graduate Assistantship stipend (this also covers my tuition costs). I'm looking to rent in my town, which is pretty affordable -- the rental prices are about $600-$800 for a decent apartment. However I see several small homes for purchase in which the monthly cost would be even lower -- in the neighborhood of $500 per month. I'm in my late 20s and I've rented for about a decade. The idea of owning a home and building equity is really appealing. I also have a large dog, so owning my own place with a yard would be much easier. However I realize I make really low income. Is this a bad idea? My grad program will last three years. After that, working in my field, I should be making about $70,000 per year starting out.
When I was in my senior year of college (90s) I listened to a speaker who bought an old house just off campus and then rented rooms to classmates. They paid the property off for him before he graduated. With the continued rents and the equity on that house, he bought another. After completing his degree, he became a real estate broker and started buying up properties. He now sits in his multi-million dollar waterfront property in an exclusive Seattle neighborhood and can pursue any interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:44 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Assuming a 3.4% interest rate on a 3-year loan, after three years, you'll have about 6% equity in the house. If you sell it at that point, you'll pay a about a 6% commission to a real estate agent. Figure on spending 1% per year of the value of the house in maintenance and repairs (assuming you don't need a big repair like a new furnace or foundation work). In addition, you'll have paid property taxes, homeowners insurance, and probably PMI.

When I graduated from college, I was supposed to have been making good money. In reality, hardly anyone was hiring in my field. After I was laid off from a job it took me a year to get, I managed to scrape together mortgage payments and keep the utilities on through more layoffs and crappy jobs. I was making more than your stipend--and that was 20 years ago.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
It is my understanding that lenders want to see three main things: two years of verifiable income in the same field, solid credit and a low DTI (like around 36% would be good). Some cash reserves are a must for closing costs and unexpected repairs. Full-time schooling can count as "employment", but you will probably need a job offer before qualifying.

My sister got approved for a home right after grad school, but she had a solid job offer.

IMO, if you have those things mentioned (especially strong credit and a low DTI), I hope you can buy something. It is always better than renting. You don't have to stay there forever, but at least when you sell, you will have something to show for it (barring another recession, God forbid I hope not)....

Old 06-17-2019, 08:04 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Oh, and look into first time low-income homebuyer programs. They can sometimes provide you with a little grant money, and some funds that are interest free for up to 10 years. In my area, you can get around 10K if you qualify. There is usually a class you have to attend, and your DTI must be in an acceptable range. If you have a DTI of say, 55%, forget about it.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
When I was in my senior year of college (90s) I listened to a speaker who bought an old house just off campus and then rented rooms to classmates. They paid the property off for him before he graduated. With the continued rents and the equity on that house, he bought another. After completing his degree, he became a real estate broker and started buying up properties. He now sits in his multi-million dollar waterfront property in an exclusive Seattle neighborhood and can pursue any interests.
If he'd tried that in Cleveland, his rents might pay for a waterfront cottage.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Oh, and look into first time low-income homebuyer programs. They can sometimes provide you with a little grant money, and some funds that are interest free for up to 10 years. In my area, you can get around 10K if you qualify. There is usually a class you have to attend, and your DTI must be in an acceptable range. If you have a DTI of say, 55%, forget about it.
Some of that down payment and closing assistance are not zero percent loans they are grants that do not have to be paid back as long as you own the home for 10 years as your primary residence.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:34 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
It can be done. Like mentioned, the first step is to talk to a lender. I have 2 family members on SSI and they make around $12K a year. They qualified for a $60K mortgage. Definitely check out the programs in your area for assistance too.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:13 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You don’t have time for a house right now. Find a roommate and a rental that allows dogs.

This.

Probably the best advice here. Wait until after you graduate.

Unless you have lots of money in reserve, you should rent. If you could qualify for a house, it would be older and things would need to be replaced.

Are you in a position to pay out 1K or more to get things fixed? If not, I would wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate