Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 3,783 times

Advertisements

I moved into a beautiful retirement community and bought a home on the golf course. It is beautiful. When it rains it floods to the point it looks like a lake. Well they have decided to do something about it. They are cutting our trees down and they just sprayed the 16th fairway to kill the grass and replacing the grass with dirt and rocks. What is this going to do to the value of my home in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 04:27 PM

33 posts, read 36,007 times
Without a lot more details, I would assume this issue would hurt the home values on the golf course. This is unfortunately happening a lot in my area as well. Golf courses are costly to maintain and with water issues being a big talking point right now (floods and water scarcity) I only see this becoming more and more common. If your golf course has a smart approach and makes the land look decent, then your value may be ok... but from my experience these dying golf courses end up looking very ugly if they are simply left unkept. This can make homes that should sell for a premium because of a golf course end up selling for a discount because of an odd-looking backyard with yellow grass and sand. Attending meetings and getting a group of homeowners together to make sure the situation is handled with care will give you the best chance at maintaining your home's value.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
We need you to clarify your description of what is actually happening.

Are they killing off the plants and removing trees and leaving the landscape barren bare with just soil and rock?
OR,
Are they converting the water utilizing green course to a water saving xerascape course?

Additionally, is this part of some construction/development project or is it permanent?

Last edited by Rabrrita; 06-20-2019 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 12:07 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,185,409 times
Why would they cut down trees. Unless they won't survive without constant care and watering. You didn't say where you are. Florida, Arizona. Are they going to let in go wild? I would rather have a wild area rather than a golf course, but thats my preference. Are they sell for development? If it's going wild maybe your states DNR can give advice on planting native plants.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:33 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
I agree we need more details; depending on what they do with the land this could be a good thing. From what I've read, younger people are less interested in golf and many courses are having a hard time keeping members. Does your property come with mandatory golf club membership and all the attendant fees? That could be a big drawback when you want to sell, so replacing the golf course with a more natural space could be a good move.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:59 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Very unusual approach. The trees and grass absorb a LOT of water, so leaving a barren landscape is quite odd. Now you will have a muddy mess littered with weeds and flotsam. I don't get it, quite frankly.

There must be more to it than what you have posted. Why didn't they just put in drains?> Happens all the time when people are trying to move water from one place to another. Golf courses, home lawns, and farm fields all use drains in the middle to get rid of excess water. Why not in your location?

Old 06-21-2019, 09:18 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
I guess the OP didn't read the community newsletter, the notices in the mail, the notices posted at the development community center, the golf course or onthe developments own website:

"#14, #15, #16 Championship Course Channel/Turf Reduction/Irrigation Enhancement

Dear Sun Lakes Homeowners:

You are receiving this letter because you live near holes 14-16 on the Championship golf course. The “channel project” has been slated for some time now and based on Master Board approval construction will start soon. Effective in June you will see work being done to include channel work (to retain the flow of water), turf reduction (to drought tolerant plantings) and some trees removed (where they impact the channel). Work will continue for roughly 90-110 working days pending weather. Drought tolerant plantings are almost completed on championship hole #9, feel free to go over and see the plantings but only from the street. This is the type of work that is scheduled for holes #14-16.

Why is this needed? When we get runoff rain within Sun Lakes as well as city streets flow is terrible for these holes and this will put this issue to bed. Turf reduction is in the plans going forward throughout the course as our water bill exceeds 1 million dollars yearly and going up. The irrigation system is original and we have deferred replacing the system over 2+ years now from the original reserve study. It is planned to do all 18 holes over the next 5 years.

Will there be dust? Yes could be some, however, we will be utilizing water trucks to minimize this during construction. Please keep in mind that we are in an area that can get blowing winds periodically and at times this is unavoidable.

Where will this take place? Work will start on the west side of these (3) holes. It is possible the east side portion could be next based on funds, weather and time of the year for plantings.

Will access streets be affected? Not planned, however, there could be a need to divert traffic for your safety.

During construction entering any roped off areas or coming onto the golf course is strictly prohibited. This is for your safety as well as to not slow up the construction process.

Staff as well as the contractor will do our best to keep these holes open but there may be times when we will need to close the hole to play. Should this occur, we will update the website daily under “golf” then “golf course conditions” on the Sun Lakes website. www.sunlakescc.com

We truly appreciate your patience during this improvement project and it is our intent you will be very happy with the end results.

Al Vallecorsa, PGA Director of Golf"

Old 06-22-2019, 12:52 AM

23,249 posts, read 18,751,797 times
So, OP, now that someone took the time to do your research for you, your question may have an answer: sounds like the management is being proactive and responsible. A good thing for your property value after all!

Old 06-22-2019, 01:00 PM

586 posts, read 554,057 times
As always, I remain amazed that people are able to find this forum, create a profile and post their concern—but they have no idea whatsoever how to use Google or contact their agent or management company.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:53 AM

8,267 posts, read 8,641,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I guess the OP didn't read the community newsletter, the notices in the mail, the notices posted at the development community center, the golf course or onthe developments own website:

"#14, #15, #16 Championship Course Channel/Turf Reduction/Irrigation Enhancement

Dear Sun Lakes Homeowners:

You are receiving this letter because you live near holes 14-16 on the Championship golf course. The “channel project” has been slated for some time now and based on Master Board approval construction will start soon. Effective in June you will see work being done to include channel work (to retain the flow of water), turf reduction (to drought tolerant plantings) and some trees removed (where they impact the channel). Work will continue for roughly 90-110 working days pending weather. Drought tolerant plantings are almost completed on championship hole #9, feel free to go over and see the plantings but only from the street. This is the type of work that is scheduled for holes #14-16.

Why is this needed? When we get runoff rain within Sun Lakes as well as city streets flow is terrible for these holes and this will put this issue to bed. Turf reduction is in the plans going forward throughout the course as our water bill exceeds 1 million dollars yearly and going up. The irrigation system is original and we have deferred replacing the system over 2+ years now from the original reserve study. It is planned to do all 18 holes over the next 5 years.

Will there be dust? Yes could be some, however, we will be utilizing water trucks to minimize this during construction. Please keep in mind that we are in an area that can get blowing winds periodically and at times this is unavoidable.

Where will this take place? Work will start on the west side of these (3) holes. It is possible the east side portion could be next based on funds, weather and time of the year for plantings.

Will access streets be affected? Not planned, however, there could be a need to divert traffic for your safety.

During construction entering any roped off areas or coming onto the golf course is strictly prohibited. This is for your safety as well as to not slow up the construction process.

Staff as well as the contractor will do our best to keep these holes open but there may be times when we will need to close the hole to play. Should this occur, we will update the website daily under “golf” then “golf course conditions” on the Sun Lakes website. www.sunlakescc.com

We truly appreciate your patience during this improvement project and it is our intent you will be very happy with the end results.

Al Vallecorsa, PGA Director of Golf"
We have been doing this for years in my community. Turf reduction is a big maintenance savings. I am surprised they are not using reclaimed water. We only use "new" water in the snack bars and restrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate