Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 08:52 AM

66 posts, read 64,055 times

Advertisements

Have had 2 BR/2BA condo on market in slightly above normal sales market in Chicago for over a week. Another condo in the building went under contract in a week and sold for $20K more than what we are listing at. The only difference is that they have parking. We had a very sparse open house last Saturday and have had ZERO individual showings. ZERO! We are getting decent attention online with many views and above average saves/favorites. The place would show well and is well staged. To make matters worse, the condo unit above ours went on the market on Thursday and they are both holding open houses today. I know that parking has to be part of the problem, but the condo is actually in an odd pocket of the neighborhood where it's at the corner of a really quiet street lined with single family homes. There is almost always easy street parking. The only other variable is the price, but there are other 2 BR/2BA and even 2 BR/1BA that have sold for the same or more. Is it possible we chose a very bad time in the season to list? After the open house today I know we're going to have to have a conversation with our realtor, and I'm not sure what to do. What happens if we lower the price and we still get no showings??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 08:58 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Give us a link and we will tell what is wrong

Old 06-23-2019, 09:15 AM

492 posts, read 638,170 times
If someone wanted to buy parking in that building, how much would it be?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:19 AM

Parking is deeded to only five of the thirteen units in the building. You can find monthly parking nearby for about $150/month.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
If someone wanted to buy parking in that building, how much would it be?
I'm concerned that if I give out the listing here, my realtor will find out and I don't want him to know that I'm asking these questions online. I'm not sure I would get the most honest answers from him though.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:25 AM

We were thinking of listing that it has parking, but specifically stating in the listing that we are offering a $2,500 or so closing credit toward parking. Would that be ethical or legal?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:34 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Try to relax a bit. There's no need to panic if you've only been on the market for a week. Talk with your agent and ask if there's been any feedback from the showings. Review your options with your agent and take it from there. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:35 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
you can't claim it has parking if it doesn't. that is misrepresentation, and your Realtor isn't allowed to do that.

Parking that doesn't cost $150/mo is worth about $20K in price.

Your Realtor can tell you what the expected DOM are for condos like yours.

What has the weather been like for the last week?

Your Realtor should not have any concerns about you asking them these questions, especially since they'll know the answers much better than anonymous folks from all across the country.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:52 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Your unit without parking is worth less than one with parking. So to claim that it should be getting the same price as the one with parking that just sold is incorrect.

And it would be fraud to list that it has parking and then explain, oh, no, wait, it doesn't but we'll give you a credit that would cover it for a little over a year (never mind that it might not actually be that close to the building)

Plus the reality is that some people do simply rule your unit out completely, if there is no parking. If I were buying a condo, I wouldn't even bother to look at units that didn't have deeded parking, no matter what they looked like in the photos. I'm just not willing to take a chance of arriving home late at night or with a car filled with packages, and not be able to park in front of my own building.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:04 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
1. With or without a deeded parking spot makes a very significant difference to the value.

2. Forget the closing credit. Drop the price enough to attract buyers, given the fact that there is no parking space.

3. Consider playing up the availability of public transportation (if it is very convenient). If so, you might be able to attract buyers who don't want a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate