Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 04:59 AM

2 posts, read 958 times

Advertisements

I’m currently in the process of buying my first home. After a year of searching, I found what I thought would be a great home. The owner accepted my offer and agreed to pay part of the closing cost. I had a home inspection done and the inspection report came back with some major issues. One of the issues is the home needing a new roof. There are shingles missing in several areas, significant water damage in certain spots due to prior leaks and improper repairs, and wood rot in several areas. Also the siding in the front and right side of the home needs to be replaced due to poor maintenance, water damage and wood rot (that had been covered up with paint) The inspector also stated that the there are cracks in the chimney and the chimney is showing signs of separating from the house.. My realtor asked for a new roof and to replace the rotten wood areas, but the seller refused. He said the roof wasn’t currently leaking, so he’s not replacing it. He said he would replace some of the soffit and fascia and give $1000 toward other repairs. Also, the appraisal finally came back and was $4000 less than my offer. The inside of the home was updated within the last 10 years or so, but the owner has been using it as rental property for the past several years. The owner lives out of state and obviously hasn’t seen the property in a while. I have a few days left for negotiations, but I’m wondering if I should ask for a new price ( lower than the appraisal price) and take a chance on paying for repairs myself or just walk away all together. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 05:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaughnH View Post
I’m currently in the process of buying my first home.
Any advice?
How many tens of thousands in CASH do you have in reserve?
Few first time buyers can handle properties with work to be done on them
Quote:
...the home needing a new roof.
...Also the siding in the front and right side of the home needs to be replaced
...the owner has been using it as rental property for the past several years.
If you have the cash to do these and the ten others you haven't identified...
these sorts of tasks are just that; tasks.
Quote:
The owner accepted my offer and agreed to pay part of the closing cost.
the appraisal finally came back and was $4000 less than my offer.
Your offer is still $10-20,000 too high.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:12 AM

357 posts, read 247,705 times
The biggest issue here is that you most likely won’t be able to get insurance on this, and possibly not even a loan depending what kind you’re going for (FHA, VA are more stringent).

Old 07-31-2019, 05:58 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaughnH View Post
I’m currently in the process of buying my first home. After a year of searching, I found what I thought would be a great home. The owner accepted my offer and agreed to pay part of the closing cost. I had a home inspection done and the inspection report came back with some major issues. One of the issues is the home needing a new roof. There are shingles missing in several areas, significant water damage in certain spots due to prior leaks and improper repairs, and wood rot in several areas. Also the siding in the front and right side of the home needs to be replaced due to poor maintenance, water damage and wood rot (that had been covered up with paint) The inspector also stated that the there are cracks in the chimney and the chimney is showing signs of separating from the house.. My realtor asked for a new roof and to replace the rotten wood areas, but the seller refused. He said the roof wasn’t currently leaking, so he’s not replacing it. He said he would replace some of the soffit and fascia and give $1000 toward other repairs. Also, the appraisal finally came back and was $4000 less than my offer. The inside of the home was updated within the last 10 years or so, but the owner has been using it as rental property for the past several years. The owner lives out of state and obviously hasn’t seen the property in a while. I have a few days left for negotiations, but I’m wondering if I should ask for a new price ( lower than the appraisal price) and take a chance on paying for repairs myself or just walk away all together. Any advice?

Key points above in bold with probably the most important that this is your first home and the appraisal value. The problems you are describing are only what can visibly be seen. What is beneath the visible damage and apparent lack of maintenance is yet to be seen. It's when you start repairing what you can see that you begin finding the latent (hidden) damage that can easily escalate to much greater costs.

Unless you are very handy with home repairs and know homes and/or have lots of money on the side for repairs and you have no other choices then it is most likely time to start looking again. You will never find a perfect home but you can find ones with much less issues and latent issues than what you are describing.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:24 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Since you're asking these questions, and since you're a first time home buyer, my sense is that you should walk away from this one. Buying a house in need of repairs can be a good strategy, but you should be looking at homes that just need cosmetic repairs. Once you delve into structural or other major repairs, you're really dealing with issues that can be quite expensive and should be best left to those with more experience.

Of course, none of us have seen the house, but those sound like some serious issues which could also underlie other significant problems with the house.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:55 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
You should walk away.

You are a first-timer and don't have a good sense of how much things cost. The fact that the seller was trying to hide things means you could have more surprises when you start getting into repair work. Inspectors can't see everything.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:04 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
A house needing work is OK, and may be attractive to a buyer short on cash.

BUT a house with an urgent need for expensive repairs is another story. Some issues only get worse- maybe quickly- and will cost much more to repair later.

You need to make a judgement about which it is.

Usually offers have contingencies concerning mortgage and insurance. It is possible that the issues you note will make it impossible to get one or both. Make sure if you still think you want to go ahead.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:11 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
I wouldn't buy it unless you have estimates on how much the repairs will cost and get the purchase price adjusted accordingly. However, no matter what the estimates are, 99.9% of the time you will run into additional problems once you start fixing things. If there are water damage problems, there also may be foundation issues and you may need gutters if there aren't any. If the house has maintenance issues for one thing, you can be sure there are other maintenance issues waiting to be discovered.

Since you're a first time home buyer, I wouldn't do it. If you were an experienced home owner, I still wouldn't do it without a significant cut in the price way above what they're offering.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Yeah... poorly maintained, plus renting in out for several years, plus a seller who thinks it's worth more than it is? Walk.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:25 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, it depends on what knowledge and skills you have.

When I went to buy my first house, I had years of experience in living in old houses and repairing them (under the guidance of my step father). Nothing I was going to see was likely to scare me, as people in my neighborhood growing up, and especially in my family, would have pulled their fingernails out with rusty pliers before they would default to "calling a professional". No one around me had that kind of money. We fixed it ourselves, and we called someone in if it started to look like requiring heavy equipment we couldn't figure out a way to rent or borrow. My stepfather and I and a guy from his work put the roof on our house, for example. It didn't look so good, but it never leaked.

On the other hand, if you grew up in a family where they thought a "complete tool kit" consisted of an old Phillips screwdriver with a buggered-up tip, a pair of pliers, and a tack hammer, and where they called a "professional" every time the toilet got clogged or a faucet started dripping, then you had better not make your first experience of house ownership one that involves any kind of heavy repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate