Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM

184 posts, read 1,544,481 times

Advertisements

I'm debating whether to keep or remove the termite bait system that surrounds my house before putting it up for sale, and would like some input from a buyers's point of view.

If you're not familiar with how these systems work, the link to the product I have at my house is here: Whitmire - ADVANCE Termite Bait System

These systems are expensive (mine was $1200 almost three years ago) and require an annual pro contract to monitor (I pay $325/yr currently). However I am very disappointed in its performance. If the termites don't 'take the bait' it doesn't work, and apparantly my termites aren't interested! So every spring I get several big swarms in the house, and the termite company can't find where they are coming from, but they spot-treat anyway, and next spring there are several big swarms again, yadda yadda. Meanwhile the expensive bait system might as well not be there. Frustrating!

I live in an area where termites are very common BUT these bait systems are not commonly seen because they are so expensive to have installed. So my question is, from a buyer's point of view what would be your reaction to seeing a house that has one of these systems (can't miss them, they are set all around a house at 10-foot intervals)? Would you think:

(a) Hey, this is great, the seller already has these high-tech termite bait things installed!

or

(b) Uh-oh... they have one of those termite bait systems, guess this house is having an ongoing problem with termites, better not risk it.

What would you as a potential buyer think: An asset, or a red flag? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
First I'd check to see what the termite history was for the house. If it was just for preventive measures, that would be one thing, a positive, but if it were for controlling/ridding of existing termite problems, a negative, and then I'd think another way.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
First I'd check to see what the termite history was for the house. If it was just for preventive measures, that would be one thing, a positive, but if it were for controlling/ridding of existing termite problems, a negative, and then I'd think another way.
There's no way to get a "termite history" for a house. It's not one of the things required to be disclosed here. Also it's not uncommon for a house to have been treated by many different termite companies over its lifetime; even if each successive owner just used one company, there's no paper trail to indicate anything. All that usually happens is that when a buyer makes an offer and it's accepted, then the buyer hires someone to do a termite inspection. The inspection may find evidence of past termite damage but there's no way to tell how long ago it occurred: could have been a year ago or five, ten or twenty years ago. Of course if they find active termites that's another thing and in that case the seller has to have it treated at their own expense, but these bait systems aren't designed for a quick knockdown anyway -- chemicals must be used for that.

What I'm concerned about is whether the presence of a bait system might be regarded by many buyers as enough of a red flag to prevent them from making a serious offer on the house at all. People don't expect homes here to have them, so the lack of one isn't regarded as a detriment. They know that if an inspection finds anything, they'll just require some kind of immediate knockdown treatment and it'll be done, end of story. The reason people get the bait systems is for either prevention or longterm control but there is no guarantee that they will work (the termites can't read the ads!).

Old 04-16-2008, 04:49 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
I would think neither, HOWEVER, if you're going to get your house retreated, I'd suggest having your pest control company use Termidor. For Termite Control | Termidor Termite Defense, America's #1 Termite Defense Product

If I saw a baiting system installed around a home, I'd think, "not effective." And if I were buying the home, I'd probably have a pest control company remove the baiting system, and retreat the house with the Termidor product.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
From what I understand, the baiting system actually works very well. The hitch is that there are two common types of termites and it only works well for the one type (that was how it was explained to me). Apparently, dry wood termites just ignore it.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
From what I understand, the baiting system actually works very well. The hitch is that there are two common types of termites and it only works well for the one type (that was how it was explained to me). Apparently, dry wood termites just ignore it.
Luckily (?) what we have here in CT are just the subterranean termites (on which the bait system supposedly works). Not the drywood termites which are more common down south, and from what I hear, endemic in Florida! It's too cold up here for drywood termites.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
A lot of termite companies are going to the bait systems for enviromental reasons. Some states and/or municipalities have either banned, or discouraged the use of termiticide.
I personally dislike bait systems because you're only drawing the termites toward your home. What kind of prevention is that?
Needless to say- I don't use a bait system at my own home.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
I would think neither, HOWEVER, if you're going to get your house retreated, I'd suggest having your pest control company use Termidor. For Termite Control | Termidor Termite Defense, America's #1 Termite Defense Product

If I saw a baiting system installed around a home, I'd think, "not effective." And if I were buying the home, I'd probably have a pest control company remove the baiting system, and retreat the house with the Termidor product.
Not all states permit the use of Termidor. By law, it cannot be sold or applied in Alaska, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. I'm in a no-Termidor state.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:05 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
I'm debating whether to keep or remove the termite bait system that surrounds my house before putting it up for sale, and would like some input from a buyers's point of view.

If you're not familiar with how these systems work, the link to the product I have at my house is here: Whitmire - ADVANCE Termite Bait System

These systems are expensive (mine was $1200 almost three years ago) and require an annual pro contract to monitor (I pay $325/yr currently). However I am very disappointed in its performance. If the termites don't 'take the bait' it doesn't work, and apparantly my termites aren't interested! So every spring I get several big swarms in the house, and the termite company can't find where they are coming from, but they spot-treat anyway, and next spring there are several big swarms again, yadda yadda. Meanwhile the expensive bait system might as well not be there. Frustrating!

I live in an area where termites are very common BUT these bait systems are not commonly seen because they are so expensive to have installed. So my question is, from a buyer's point of view what would be your reaction to seeing a house that has one of these systems (can't miss them, they are set all around a house at 10-foot intervals)? Would you think:

(a) Hey, this is great, the seller already has these high-tech termite bait things installed!

or

(b) Uh-oh... they have one of those termite bait systems, guess this house is having an ongoing problem with termites, better not risk it.

What would you as a potential buyer think: An asset, or a red flag? Thanks!
We put in the system several years ago and they are monitored every so often. We have had one time where the bait was taken but never again. I really like the system and think it has worked for our house. Could it be the service agent you have is not doing their job correctly? Maybe you should check out some of the other services available in your area to see if your present system is being monitored correctly. I really don't know the answer but wish you luck with your research.

Also, you have to disclose any termite activity on your home when you sale your home so it appears to me to be better to show you have a monitoring system than not to have one.

dunroven

Last edited by dunroven55; 04-17-2008 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: left out the main subject

Old 04-17-2008, 07:44 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
There are two components to a bait system:

1. Proper installation, which is rare.

2. Proper monitoring, which is even more rare. Particularly for companies who run a revolving door for termite techs.

I really like the bait system concept, but I never saw one installed and monitored like they were supposed to be.

Low levels of chemical. Miniscule, even.
Kill the queen and colony.
Great concept, but too expensive to be ineptly executed.
Those issues knock it out of consideration.

"Attracting termites" is not an issue or consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate