U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

2,522 posts, read 1,275,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
THIS ^^^. If one is high end, then they all should be. That's it.

I just do not understand kitchens with a stainless fridge, a white stove and a black dishwasher. If you are selling, please make it match.
Or expect that your buyer is going to figure the cost or replacing the mismatched pieces into the offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

336 posts, read 334,986 times
And they shouldn’t be “junk” brands, matching or not. No Haier appliances (GE is ok because they are still separate) and no Glacier Bay fixtures.

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM

5,250 posts, read 7,984,800 times
Note that if I ever move, I will probably buy another Moen Magnetix Engage unless there is something much fancier installed. It is an excellent showerhead that isn't too expensive.

Consensus is that showerheads and other plumbing fixtures are not important for matching brands, unlike appliances. Also, based on a previous thread, probably not worth upgrading the showerhead in the guest shower unless it gets damaged.

I do know a case when the brand DOES have to match though is when replacing the valve trim on a shower, the valve itself must be the same brand and compatible. Everything else (shower arm, showerhead, and spout) are interchangeable.

Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

14,126 posts, read 20,589,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
And they shouldnít be ďjunkĒ brands, matching or not...and no Glacier Bay fixtures.
Our builder installed $400 Moen faucet sets and $98 Glacier Bay (Home Depot) toilets.
Consumer Reports rated the toilets very highly and we still have them.

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 352,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
This is one argument for matchy matchy brands. Also things like handles and knobs looking consistent.
Matching handles are important to me. My stove and dishwasher match and my refrig is similar but not the same.

Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Our builder installed $400 Moen faucet sets and $98 Glacier Bay (Home Depot) toilets.
Consumer Reports rated the toilets very highly and we still have them.
Our toilets are Gerber toilets, and our previous house had Crane toilets. Both are generally considered low-cost builder's grade brands; so I don't think Glacier Bay is really a downgrade.

As for appliances, GE seems to be the market leader when it comes to homebuilders, although a few use Whirlpool or Frigidaire (I think the latter mostly by lower-end builders).

Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
Status: "Goodbye Portland, Hello Las Vegas!" (set 1 day ago)

5,860 posts, read 6,056,431 times
It is a good point that price point matters. Iím very picky, enough so that unless a house was custom built to my specs Iíll have issues with something guaranteed lol Iím more concerned about what I canít control though so as long as the structure is at least 2x6 if not insulated concrete form (ideal) and insulation is great, design is modern, I can fix the interiors. I just bought a new construction house and I like their appliances a lot, theyíre fantastic... except the AC units. Itís not a ďworking or not workingĒ thing to me, the builder put in cheap single-stage units when a luxury house at that price point should have variable stage top of the line AC in one of the nationís hottest cities. Iíll replace it though, new or not, Iíve done it before and Iíll do it every time I see crap in a house. It has taken 2 weeks of straight work every single day by 7 different contractors at different times to redo the house as I want it before move in.

Message of the story, if the buyer is picky like me theyíll redo whatever they donít like anyway and upgrade it all. Just part of the budget.

Old Today, 06:06 AM

414 posts, read 117,801 times
I spent a decade building new spec. homes. I would do a full appliance package, and typically went to Lowe's and found whatever was on sale at the moment. I would stick with stainless finishes, a mid-range dishwasher, a smooth top electric range and a whatever double door fridge with ice and water on the door, and range hood microwave, was the cheapest.With the exception that I stopped buying low end LG stuff, since it proved to be junk. I almost never had a matched brand set, and NEVER heard a peep about from any buyer. When it comes to bathroom fixture and faucet brands, I never had a buyer who cared in the least.

Old Today, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It is a good point that price point matters. Iím very picky, enough so that unless a house was custom built to my specs Iíll have issues with something guaranteed lol Iím more concerned about what I canít control though so as long as the structure is at least 2x6 if not insulated concrete form (ideal) and insulation is great, design is modern, I can fix the interiors. I just bought a new construction house and I like their appliances a lot, theyíre fantastic... except the AC units. Itís not a ďworking or not workingĒ thing to me, the builder put in cheap single-stage units when a luxury house at that price point should have variable stage top of the line AC in one of the nationís hottest cities. Iíll replace it though, new or not, Iíve done it before and Iíll do it every time I see crap in a house. It has taken 2 weeks of straight work every single day by 7 different contractors at different times to redo the house as I want it before move in.

Message of the story, if the buyer is picky like me theyíll redo whatever they donít like anyway and upgrade it all. Just part of the budget.
As far as our air conditioner, we have the 16 SEER system, which was an upgrade over the base 14 SEER system. I think the difference is that the 16 SEER has an ECM blower in the furnace.

Old Today, 09:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 2,812,298 times
No, I don't care about matching brands. I like basic, simple, white and working. Nothing fancy or extra features. I don't know why I dislike the stainless steel, too industrial and not homey to me, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or