Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 12:59 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times

Advertisements

Please make sure there is a really good range hood above the range. That's not the place to put a microwave oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 02:43 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
1erformance-longevity
2:color
3: efficiency.

those seem to be the primary.

Never quite understood how the color of an oven made my turkey cook better or my cookies burn quicker.

Same with my dishwasher.

For safety reasons there are some brands a consumer may not want in their home.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:29 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Do even builders care about this?! My new luxury home has all GE appliances except for the 72" massive fridge / freezer, which is Electrolux. That's not part of GE, is it? I just searched, didn't seem like it anyway.

I would think if everything is matching stainless steel, that's mainly what matters. To me what looks bad is you have a bunch of white appliances, maybe a black one thrown in there, and a single stainless steel one. That looks like someone was just randomly replacing stuff with whatever their budget was at the time. If everything is stainless steel, it's going to look nice regardless of brand. If it's all white garbage, it's going to look like white garbage, regardless of brand.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:58 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Plumbing fixtures? Not really, unless it's just some sort of gross mismatch.

Matching appliance brands/styles makes me think the replacement was done at one time, rather than piecemealed in as things failed.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:36 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Do even builders care about this?! My new luxury home has all GE appliances except for the 72" massive fridge / freezer, which is Electrolux. That's not part of GE, is it? I just searched, didn't seem like it anyway.
Actually, Electrolux tried to buy GE but the DOJ stopped the deal as being too anticompetitive. GE was then bought by a Chinese company, Haier.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

I would think if everything is matching stainless steel, that's mainly what matters. To me what looks bad is you have a bunch of white appliances, maybe a black one thrown in there, and a single stainless steel one. That looks like someone was just randomly replacing stuff with whatever their budget was at the time. If everything is stainless steel, it's going to look nice regardless of brand. If it's all white garbage, it's going to look like white garbage, regardless of brand.
I rented a place that had stainless steel appliances. The Fridge was a Landlord Special, CHEAP. It looked like it too. That was largely because it was a size small for the space.

Garbage looks like Garbage. Some Mazda's may look like Maserati's but not if you look at it for more than a few seconds. It's the least noticeable on a Microwave and most noticeable on a dishwasher. My Range, dishwasher, and Microwave are all Amana brand. The dishwasher control panel looks plasticky, but the range and microwave look neither cheap nor expensive. Amana has become Whirpool's budget brand, and the budget brand is appropriate for the house. If I bought a semi-custom luxury home I'd be a bit turned off by it.

Nicer stuff should look nicer. It should also feel nicer. I enjoy gadgets and doo-dads as much as anyone but I walked past more feature laden fridges to buy my basic side-by-side w/ water and ice Kitchenaid because it didn't look or feel like a used smart phone, and didn't get as much stuff-for-my buck.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:23 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Well none of my appliances match brand or color. The dishwasher is a white Maytag, the Wall Oven and cooktop are white GE profiles, and the fridge/over the range micro are black stainless. Meaning - why get rid of expensive, nice appliances so that colors match??? Really? When they get long in the tooth, I will retire the white appliances for black stainless steel. I guess this will be accomplished by the time we sell the house. If not, it's just going to be mismatched appliances. *shrug*

Old 08-20-2019, 02:52 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Sometimes. Depends on the market and price point.

If you are trying to appeal to high end buyers who want a full renovation of old house stock, they sometimes want brand new matching appliances. We sold a house in downtown Annapolis a few years ago. It was old and had a nice high end renovation at an upper end price point. Lots of retiring navy officers who looked/instructors at the academy. They wanted a new build but the city housing stock is historic. So everything had to have the feel of "brand new" in an old house to satisfy that demographic. Matching, high end appliances were very desirable.

Most other times? No. No one cares much.aa long as the finishes match. But it really depends on what's expected for the price you want to get.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Please make sure there is a really good range hood above the range. That's not the place to put a microwave oven.
YES.

This. Drives me CRAZY to see this. Especially in a "high.end" kitchen where lots has been spent on a remodel. Ugh.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Also, do buyers care about the color of the displays on appliances? All our appliances have lime-green VFD or LED displays. I know the newest GE appliances now use white LED displays.
This is one argument for matchy matchy brands. Also things like handles and knobs looking consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate