U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

5,634 posts, read 2,966,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Micro apartments and dormitory living are not the same. Micro apartment living is compact living in a small space that includes a WC and kitchen, and can have a separate sleeping space.
Micro apartments and housemate living also are not the same.

Never mind the square footage variable. The big, big difference is that with an apartment of your own, you alone are responsible for managing utility consumption and bill payments. With housemates, one or more people might leave one person holding the bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

8,430 posts, read 6,313,317 times
Quote:
Micro apartments and dormitory living are not the same. Micro apartment living is compact living in a small space that includes a WC and kitchen, and can have a separate sleeping space.
No, that pretty much describes the dorms that upper class men got if they didn’t want to live off campus when I was in college.
Quote:
Micro apartments are such a new idea that it is easy to assume that it is no different than dorm living, but the 200-400 square foot spaces are a self contained living space and usually include modular and moveable furniture that permits transforming and adapting one space for multiple purposes.
"Micro apartments usually include space for sleeping, sitting, a kitchenette, a limited number of shelves or cubbyholes and a bathroom. Many "tiny living" apartments are designed with space-saving furniture such as beds built into walls, futons that convert into other furniture, built-in storage space, folding desks and tables, and extremely small or hidden appliances."
https://whatis.techtarget.com/defini...icro-apartment
It isn’t new at all. Just like tiny houses aren’t new. Naming a small kitchenette room a “micro-apartment” is no different than someone calling their camper a “tiny house.”

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

5,171 posts, read 2,531,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No, that pretty much describes the dorms that upper class men got if they didn’t want to live off campus when I was in college.

It isn’t new at all. Just like tiny houses aren’t new. Naming a small kitchenette room a “micro-apartment” is no different than someone calling their camper a “tiny house.”
Sure. It's a small kitchen, a full bathroom, and a combination sleep/eat/entertain/desk space.

Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM

28,816 posts, read 62,875,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It isn’t new at all.
I suspect that they believe it sounds more appealing to investors and regulators
than the SRO hotel rooms filled with bums and prostitutes that the last wave of them became.

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

7,767 posts, read 18,783,058 times
https://www.dezeen.com/2018/01/16/op...ousing-crisis/

Hong Kong has been dealing with a housing crisis and came up with this solution

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/artic...cosy-noisy-and

Don't know why these fascinate me - I could never live like this now. Maybe younger and single. Just happy it is not my lifestyle.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
https://www.dezeen.com/2018/01/16/op...ousing-crisis/

Hong Kong has been dealing with a housing crisis and came up with this solution

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/artic...cosy-noisy-and

Don't know why these fascinate me - I could never live like this now. Maybe younger and single. Just happy it is not my lifestyle.
The tube micro apartment is a bit less than an apartment. I really like the idea of modular moveable furniture for micro apartments, and how that can be used in larger apartments to give the illusion of more space. I wouldn't live in such a small place, but I like how small space forces people to rethink how space is used.

Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM

6,836 posts, read 8,182,476 times
Quote:
The tube micro apartment is a bit less than an apartment. I really like the idea of modular moveable furniture for micro apartments, and how that can be used in larger apartments to give the illusion of more space. I wouldn't live in such a small place, but I like how small space forces people to rethink how space is used.
What these tube micro apartments should really force people to think about is the serious problem of world overpopulation. We are literally destroying this planet with too many people. As the Amazon burns...it's only going to get worse.

Old Today, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
What these tube micro apartments should really force people to think about is the serious problem of world overpopulation. We are literally destroying this planet with too many people. As the Amazon burns...it's only going to get worse.
Ah yes, the population explosion of the 1960s that was addressed by China with the one child rule, but not India or any other place on earth. Too many people is the problem, yet families want lots of children for old age care and domination. Children today are learning in school that if nothing changes, in 35 years it will be irreversible. They are growing up with no sense of a future, so no reason to plan for one.

As the amazon burns, oxygen will decrease, ozone layer holes will increase, and perhaps living things that require less oxygen will thrive. Does that mean bugs, birds and lizards will be bigger?

Back to the point, micro apartments seem ideal for students and seniors who are aging in place.

Old Today, 03:49 AM

362 posts, read 123,653 times
All the forest is being burned for farm land. Eventually the farmland is destroyed by roundup and other chemicals that will make bees and butterflies extinct. After that the farmland is turned into subdivisions for housing. Sad cycle.

Old Today, 04:57 AM

4,199 posts, read 1,802,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
All the forest is being burned for farm land. Eventually the farmland is destroyed by roundup and other chemicals that will make bees and butterflies extinct. After that the farmland is turned into subdivisions for housing. Sad cycle.
Micro apartments could theoretically change some of this. Instead of having single people in expensive areas have to commute to increasingly farther out exurbs for affordability, particularly in places like SF, the option would be to live in a micro apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate