Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 11:41 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Think Tokyo type micro apartments. Should some properties consider a form of micro-apartments? I’m not talking about chopping up existing apartments to become multiple apartments. I’m talking about a new property development (new building or complete remodel of existing property. If planned properly it would be very efficient in living space and still be legal within local metro codes and housing regulations.
If there were a market for it, cities would revise the codes and allow the high-density utility demand.
It would suit the low-income, low self-esteem college grads with social justice degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 11:49 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
My thought is that most residents won't desire a "Micro apartment". Of course there is a niche of residents who would like to have one, but I believe the majority would prefer more "traditional" housing.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Why not both?
My thinking is that the demand is situational, based on the current social anomaly
of having too many special snowflakes who can't earn enough to do better.
I don't think it serves anyone, especially them, to 'normalize' the phenomenon.

A generation (or two) later... when the population levels and the employment/income economy normalize again
we're left sitting on an oversupply of what amount to dorm rooms.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:06 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
If there were a market for it, cities would revise the codes and allow the high-density utility demand.
It would suit the low-income, low self-esteem college grads with social justice degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
My thinking is that the demand is situational, based on the current social anomaly

A generation (or two) later... when the population levels and the employment/income economy normalize again
While what you guys are saying is true for some folks, there are those of us who can afford more space but simply don't want it or need it.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:11 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:

Well said. This is why developers would tip-toe into such a market. Can't imagine why someone wouldn't want enough space for a workshop, or garden, or anything that is a normal human aspiration.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Well said. This is why developers would tip-toe into such a market. Can't imagine why someone wouldn't want enough space for a workshop, or garden, or anything that is a normal human aspiration.
LOL because not everyone has the same "human aspirations". Plenty of hobbies out there that don't require the extra home space

Old 08-21-2019, 12:27 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Can't imagine why someone wouldn't want enough space...
The extra space someone might have isn't the point.
Normalizing adult relationships to at least be able to tolerate pairing up with others to defray costs is.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:02 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think the question suggests that there are a substantial amount of people who would consider moving into a large city if the financial part worked out for their budget.

We may not be able to double our income in our industry by moving somewhere else, but we'd love to experience the city, and for that, we'd offer up a sacrifice of space (1/2 or more) for comparable rents.

Those considering such arrangements have conceded (perhaps implicitly) that they understand that a certain price per square foot needs to be met in these cities, and they're willing to sacrifice the space, since they can't give much more in income.

I think ANY amount of this type of housing would be appreciated by many. Even if there has to be a wait list.
I could live with my wife in a 750 sf place again. I could live alone in 450. Less get's difficult, especially if you have hobbies that require even a little bit of equipment (Camping, Fishing, Cycling, Golf...) In a 450 SF apartment three fishing rods get in the way. So does a golf bag. Enough camping gear for a single weekend trip would too. If you hike, or run, or content to read/watch TV, or your hobbies involve going somewhere (like the theater or concerts) then it works a little better.
Quote:

It's a local demand too. Some places are in high demand because people want to live there because its neat (Portland.) Some places are expensive because it is both a land of opportunity and a vibrant place (New York) that attracts all sorts of people.

The worst places have a combination of factors that make them really expensive. San Fancisco/Bay Area has Rent Control, AND a lot of highly paid people, AND it's on a peninsula with most of it being parkland of some sort, AND San Fran doesn't allow much over three stories, AND its an international city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
While what you guys are saying is true for some folks, there are those of us who can afford more space but simply don't want it or need it.
It's hard or impossible without a goalpost to define micro or minimum. In the last eight years, I've lived in a 1300, 1100, 750, 450, and 650 SF place, respectively. If talking about a 400 square foot place, I agree with you. When talking about a 150 sf place, I agree with MrRational

Old 08-21-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It's hard or impossible without a goalpost to define micro or minimum. In the last eight years, I've lived in a 1300, 1100, 750, 450, and 650 SF place, respectively. If talking about a 400 square foot place, I agree with you. When talking about a 150 sf place, I agree with MrRational
Fair enough; it's hard to say the exact cut-off. Plus the live-ability also really depends on how the floor plan is laid out.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:44 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:

I would have totally lived in a micro-unit in college or right after I graduated as a single person. I think there will always be demand for that minimalist type of living for the younger crowd with their first jobs. I don't think there will be enough demand for it to be a dominant housing source. It has nothing to do with being a snowflake, but I would have preferred that living situation to having roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate