U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 02:53 PM

7,962 posts, read 4,507,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You and Germaine both questioned the ownership of the home without the land. I said it isn't that different than a Condo, where one may own the interior walls, but not the superstructure or land. A Condominium is an ownership structure. While we associate it with buying a single apartment, I've seen Condo's that were physically townhomes and free standing buildings.
Right, but I've never seen a condo association prohibit an owner from occupying his or her own (interior) space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 05:22 PM

9,194 posts, read 7,950,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Right, but I've never seen a condo association prohibit an owner from occupying his or her own (interior) space.
That is simply based on you not having enough experience. Such things exist.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:37 PM

21,451 posts, read 12,086,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
In my market, some homes near the lake are only seasonal due to not having water year round.
That's what I was thinking. But without being able to see the contract, it's hard to do anything more than guess.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:23 AM

8,453 posts, read 6,336,763 times
Quote:
I can think of a handful of places that do that to one degree or another. Golf, Beach and Ski getaways.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 AM

I checked the listing again and, sure enough, the place is classified as a "campground," even though these appear to be permanent structures (it would certainly be difficult to move them). I suppose that's the crux of the matter.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 AM

8,453 posts, read 6,336,763 times
Quote:
I checked the listing again and, sure enough, the place is classified as a "campground," even though these appear to be permanent structures (it would certainly be difficult to move them). I suppose that's the crux of the matter.
My neighbors have a beach house in what was once a former boy scout camp. Many of the houses are retrofitted sleeping quarters. They were built on permanent foundations with no intention of being moved, and no intention of being occupied year round. They were opened for the summer camp season and boarded in the winter. Now many of them have been retrofitted for permanent occupation since the camp closed and the lots sold.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My neighbors have a beach house in what was once a former boy scout camp. Many of the houses are retrofitted sleeping quarters. They were built on permanent foundations with no intention of being moved, and no intention of being occupied year round. They were opened for the summer camp season and boarded in the winter. Now many of them have been retrofitted for permanent occupation since the camp closed and the lots sold.
Where is this? I'd love one!

Old 08-29-2019, 07:49 AM

2,123 posts, read 907,206 times
It is probably on state forest land, maybe a heritage land lease, not sure of the correct wording. It's different for different states. I saw some story of ,I think New York State on such a set up. There a long time, passed down through family where land is leased for minimal amount. It's supposed to be open for public to bid on but it never happens. You may not actually own land but have a right to occupy it with restrictions set by state or maybe county. Also restrictions on what type of structure and how big can be built.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 AM

2,123 posts, read 907,206 times
As a side note. My parents are in a association that used to me a campground for fully equipped campers (needs to have bathroom) . There is hook up for water and sewer, place has a septic system. Water has to be shut down September, because pipes are not buried deep enough to keep from freezing. They don't really shut down sewer. There are a few weeks that campground is kept open to accommodate any hunters but you have to fetch water from lake to flush your toilet. And of course on you if your own pipes freeze in your camper. But no running water for a few weeks. Then campground is shut up til spring.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
As a side note. My parents are in a association that used to me a campground for fully equipped campers (needs to have bathroom) . There is hook up for water and sewer, place has a septic system. Water has to be shut down September, because pipes are not buried deep enough to keep from freezing. They don't really shut down sewer. There are a few weeks that campground is kept open to accommodate any hunters but you have to fetch water from lake to flush your toilet. And of course on you if your own pipes freeze in your camper. But no running water for a few weeks. Then campground is shut up til spring.
That may be the case here, although our winters are usually pretty mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or