Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 05:38 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,884,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think there may be code against permanently living in one place in a trailer or RV with wheels, most anywhere, not just where there is specific zoning restrictions. I've had clients run into it on their own land. I do wonder if that may change in time with the popularity of tiny homes.
I'll be one of those people if I ever move to my lot.

If you have land, though, why have a tiny house built on wheels when you could have something a little larger attached permanently to the lot?

I know people want to travel, but in that case, it might be easier to just put the tiny house on a lot and then buy a trailer to travel in. It's certainly cheaper. When it comes down to that, though, even a manufactured home is cheaper in some cases than a tiny home and you get a lot more for your money.

The code is just weird. You have people in Gold Bar who own their land and have their trailers permanently attached to the land with septic, electric, and water, and they're only allowed to live there 6 months of the year.

In places like Hoodsport and Brinnon, I've seen trailer parks where the trailers are obviously not permanently attached to the land and the people living in them are renting the space and they stay there year round.

In Bremerton, I know someone who lived in a trailer for years until Kitsap County decided everyone needed to live in a house. They had to build one on their lot. Yet there are many trailer parks where people rent the space and trailer (attached to utilities) and live in those permanently. So maybe it depends on whether you own your land or not. The county obviously makes much more money taxing houses than trailers. But then, why do they even allow trailer parks in the first place? In Poulsbo, there's a trailer park that's been there forever and for years now, the city has tried to get rid of it. It's a nice trailer park with large yards and definitely not an eyesore, but if the land could be sold and divided up into housing, the city stands to gain a lot more money.

Plus, of course, there's still the image of people living in trailers as being "trailer trash". It's a stigma. I think that would remain even if people were living in tiny homes on wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 05:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,124,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm glad it's not just me. I'm still not sure how that's legal, but apparently it is. What if you just want to go check on your place to make sure vandals or bears haven't broken in or the water pipes aren't leaking? What if you have an emergency at your main house and need a place to spend the night (or a week, while repairs are made); do you have to pay for a hotel room because you aren't allowed in your second property? What if they decide to sell the land; what happens to your vacation home, permanently placed on it?

So many questions...
I'm a little confused. So, people actually own the cabins, the cabins are permanent structures (not travel trailers or tents or mobile homes) but the people who own the cabins, do not own the land that they are built on?

And, how do the people who own the land make sure that the cabins are only used part time? Are the roads closed off in winter, or something like that? Do they owners need to check in with an office when they arrive and leave their cabins or keep a calendar of the nights that they sleep in the cabin? Or what?

Old 08-23-2019, 05:56 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,899,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm a little confused. So, people actually own the cabins, the cabins are permanent structures (not travel trailers or tents or mobile homes) but the people who own the cabins, do not own the land that they are built on?

And, how do the people who own the land make sure that the cabins are only used part time? Are the roads closed off in winter, or something like that? Do they owners need to check in with an office when they arrive and leave their cabins or keep a calendar of the nights that they sleep in the cabin? Or what?
They are called land leases. Typically, buyers either pay cash for the property, take out a signature LOC, or the financing cannot exceed the remaining term of the lease. So if the lease is for 50 years, they can get a 30 year loan. If only 10 years are on the lease, maximum mortgage term = 10 years. Leases are more common than most think. Much of the Delaware beaches are on 100 year leases.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:58 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,070,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'll be one of those people if I ever move to my lot.

If you have land, though, why have a tiny house built on wheels when you could have something a little larger attached permanently to the lot?

I know people want to travel, but in that case, it might be easier to just put the tiny house on a lot and then buy a trailer to travel in. It's certainly cheaper. When it comes down to that, though, even a manufactured home is cheaper in some cases than a tiny home and you get a lot more for your money.

In many cases the issues causing the most trouble with the county is the existence, or not, of permitted, professionally installed wells and septic systems.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:13 AM

21,875 posts, read 12,922,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
In many cases the issues causing the most trouble with the county is the existence, or not, of permitted, professionally installed wells and septic systems.
Composting or incinerating toilets would take care of THAT problem (and are so much better in so many ways).

Old 08-26-2019, 10:55 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,406,789 times
Quote:
I'm glad it's not just me. I'm still not sure how that's legal, but apparently it is. What if you just want to go check on your place to make sure vandals or bears haven't broken in or the water pipes aren't leaking? What if you have an emergency at your main house and need a place to spend the night (or a week, while repairs are made); do you have to pay for a hotel room because you aren't allowed in your second property? What if they decide to sell the land; what happens to your vacation home, permanently placed on it?

So many questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

I have to imagine there's something of a resort type setup, gated community thing (even if there's no gate) that allows more active monitoring. Otherwise the places aren't weatherized to the point to accomodate winter living. Those are the only two ways I can think of.

Regarding ownership, that isn't all that different from a condominium or townhouse situation is it? I know around here I've seen "condo's" that are basically small SFH's roughly 600 sf.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:19 AM

21,875 posts, read 12,922,974 times
"Regarding ownership, that isn't all that different from a condominium or townhouse situation is it?"

I don't understand the question.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:05 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,713,230 times
Quote:
Okay, but... Again, I don't see how one can stipulate -- even in a contract -- that someone not occupy his own property.
One can stipulate most anything they want in a contract. The question is are you going to agree with and sign the contract? If not, move on down the road.

Often these type restrictions are so the municipality does not have to provide schooling. They especially love over 55 developments for the same reason.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:38 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,406,789 times
Quote:
"Regarding ownership, that isn't all that different from a condominium or townhouse situation is it?"

I don't understand the question.
You and Germaine both questioned the ownership of the home without the land. I said it isn't that different than a Condo, where one may own the interior walls, but not the superstructure or land. A Condominium is an ownership structure. While we associate it with buying a single apartment, I've seen Condo's that were physically townhomes and free standing buildings.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:55 PM

2,635 posts, read 7,425,058 times
In my market, some homes near the lake are only seasonal due to not having water year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate