U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 02:14 AM

7,221 posts, read 3,986,295 times

Advertisements

There is a market for such a thing if you can find that customer who is looking to pay finance charges on a used car for the next thirty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 06:47 AM

2,535 posts, read 1,288,613 times
Check out your state laws but normally you can't value your car at anything if you need a lender to roll it into your sale. We look at a LOT of places to invest in...recently a church which was being sold with all contents to include windows, pews, statuary, van, books, vestments, literally everything. The preferred buyer was another church or nonprofit who could just set up immediately. There was no value given to the items contained in the sale. But what ended up happening was that a young couple we knew bought the place with the intent to rezone and renovate into apartments. They only wanted a few of the furniture pieces in the sale and ended up donating or selling most of the interior contents and van.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:02 AM

5,533 posts, read 2,516,200 times
Linking the two is a spectacularly bad idea.

While selling the house, put the car in the driveway with a "for sale" sign on it. Then people who are interested in the house but not in the car won't be immediately put off. Who knows, you might even sell the car to someone who isn't interested in the house: "I really need one more bedroom than this, so I'm not interested in the house, but I'm looking for a car too; how much for the car?"

Old 08-26-2019, 08:40 AM

18,106 posts, read 11,448,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I have a home I'm getting ready to sell. Itself, its worth between 600 and 650k. It is completely energy self sufficient and I'm thinking about including my electric car in with the house to market it as a green home/deal. The car is worth about 50-60k and I'm hoping that as a result of the deal, i can perhaps get more than that when the package deal is marketted correctly.

The only major issue i see is that potential buyers may not qualify for their loan, because the house will not appraise for the 700k (for example) listed price because they won't take the car's value into consideration when doing the home appraisal.

Tell me why this is a good/bad idea! Thank you!
Sell the car separately. It would just confuse the deal, and you might not find that one person who wants both.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 AM

156 posts, read 76,172 times
The house/car combo just doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

I could see marketing that the garage is wired for a fast charger and that you are willing to leave the charging station if the client thinks they might want it but, the odds of finding someone who wants to take on that much of your stuff and also pay a premium for it seem very remote.

And then as said above the financial complications seem like another unnecessary hurdle. I can't see too many people wanting a car rolled into their house financing for 15-30 years.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:29 PM

21,435 posts, read 12,074,559 times
Even setting aside the issue of whether the house could appraise for the combined amount (very unlikely), how many suckers do you think are out there willing to pay on a 30 year note for a used car? Hopefully not too many, for their sakes!

Old 08-26-2019, 04:49 PM

18,762 posts, read 20,677,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I have a home I'm getting ready to sell. Itself, its worth between 600 and 650k. It is completely energy self sufficient and I'm thinking about including my electric car in with the house to market it as a green home/deal. The car is worth about 50-60k and I'm hoping that as a result of the deal, i can perhaps get more than that when the package deal is marketted correctly.

The only major issue i see is that potential buyers may not qualify for their loan, because the house will not appraise for the 700k (for example) listed price because they won't take the car's value into consideration when doing the home appraisal.

Tell me why this is a good/bad idea! Thank you!
Cars are personal property. Banks donít like to deal with stuff like that.

Sell the car yourself. If I was buying your house and you literally threw the car in AT NO ADDITIONAL cost to my offer Iíll take it. But if you think Iíll buy the car and roll that 50/60kin my loan youíre fooling yourself

Old 08-26-2019, 05:47 PM

12,789 posts, read 10,120,602 times
Most of your buyers for the house would not want that particular car, so you'd have to price the deal at significantly below the sum of the free market house and car values in order to attract buyers. Given this, you're leaving quite a substantial sum of money (maybe even over $10k) on the table by not selling the house and car separately.

Of course you can certainly offer to sell the car at market value to whoever buys the house, but don't be surprised if they decline.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:24 PM

18,106 posts, read 11,448,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Most of your buyers for the house would not want that particular car, so you'd have to price the deal at significantly below the sum of the free market house and car values in order to attract buyers. Given this, you're leaving quite a substantial sum of money (maybe even over $10k) on the table by not selling the house and car separately.

Of course you can certainly offer to sell the car at market value to whoever buys the house, but don't be surprised if they decline.

That really is the point. You might find someone who loves the house, but who would have no use for the car, or actually hate the car.

Now, my ex just bought a house in a gated , golf course community, and almost every house for sale there included a golf cart. Most of the residents there go to the pool or the community center via the golf carts, but that is a totally different deal.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:10 PM

71 posts, read 37,161 times
I'm echoing most of what's been said here... Prepare a print out of energy savings you can share or email by going electric.

Indicate if the charger is on 50A or lower. What plugs do you support? Did you have a Telsa charger installed or just a standard 240V plug? Do you have solar/powerwall? Indicate that they convey with the sale.

Detail and wax your car and keep it visible/parked during showings. Make buyers think about buying your house and lifestyle. I would resist mentioning your car is for sale. Others might disagree as I have met realtors that have mentioned if furniture or larger items in the garage convey or are negotiable.

Good luck, im sure it's a great house. I wish we had solar incentives where I am plus I am also looking at an electric car to take advantage of HOV lanes in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate