U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 07:26 PM

9,797 posts, read 7,411,250 times

Advertisements

the OP is understandably freaking out, because clearly for some listing their home for sale is very stressful.

On Friday, you said he was going to look into comps/activity and get back to you. DId you call him today, and by 3:50 pm he had not returned your call?

2-3 previous threads you started in the last 10 days, you were happy with him.

Do your best to take a deep breath and calm down - though a simple text "I want to drop the price NOW" will certainly tell the truth about his worth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:30 AM

1,436 posts, read 654,295 times
Non-responsive agents are a problem. When I sold my house last year, my own agent was great. However, the buyers' agent was slow to respond to everything. I was so frustrated that I was about to just drop negotiations with them, but my agent convinced me she thought the buyers were sincere, but their agent was the one causing the delays. My agent was always quick to respond to me, but the buyers' agent had excuses like "oh, sorry, I was away for the weekend." It was annoying and it could have killed the deal.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:01 AM

3,800 posts, read 9,328,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the OP is understandably freaking out, because clearly for some listing their home for sale is very stressful.

On Friday, you said he was going to look into comps/activity and get back to you. DId you call him today, and by 3:50 pm he had not returned your call?

2-3 previous threads you started in the last 10 days, you were happy with him.

Do your best to take a deep breath and calm down - though a simple text "I want to drop the price NOW" will certainly tell the truth about his worth.
First of all, I appreciate the responses. Thank you.

Yes, I called and texted him yesterday. He hasn't called back yet. In my text yesterday, I did mention a price drop and he text back a simple "I don't think that's necessary". ?! When he didn't call back, I then asked for another CMA via text. Nothing. Is he doing one? I dunno. Does he not think I need another? I dunno.

I was happy with him until I realized he has no follow thru and doesn't return calls and isn't there when I actually need him. For example, regarding the redfin negative comment I posted about earlier: it's still there. Sure, my agent said he'd try to have it removed, but its still there. Is it possible that he tried, but couldn't? No idea. Did he just not try? No idea. I then realized his responses have actually been alot of "let me get back to you" and then he never does.

I'm not contacting his broker, but appreciate the suggestion.I give up trying to talk to him. I certainly can't make him talk to me so that's just my current situation. I have another month until this contract is over and then I plan to take the house off the market and relist in the spring with another agent.

Selling a house isn't actually stressful to me. Dealing with a non communicative agent is incredibly annoying to me, though. Then again, if I'm mainly going thru text and email, at this point. I don't even know if I'm actually dealing with him.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:48 AM

5,270 posts, read 2,012,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

Yes, I called and texted him yesterday. He hasn't called back yet. In my text yesterday, I did mention a price drop and he text back a simple "I don't think that's necessary". ?! When he didn't call back, I then asked for another CMA via text. Nothing. Is he doing one? I dunno. Does he not think I need another? I dunno.

I was happy with him until I realized he has no follow thru and doesn't return calls and isn't there when I actually need him. For example, regarding the redfin negative comment I posted about earlier: it's still there. Sure, my agent said he'd try to have it removed, but its still there. Is it possible that he tried, but couldn't? No idea. Did he just not try? No idea. I then realized his responses have actually been alot of "let me get back to you" and then he never does.

I'm not contacting his broker, but appreciate the suggestion.I give up trying to talk to him. I certainly can't make him talk to me so that's just my current situation. I have another month until this contract is over and then I plan to take the house off the market and relist in the spring with another agent.

Selling a house isn't actually stressful to me. Dealing with a non communicative agent is incredibly annoying to me, though. Then again, if I'm mainly going thru text and email, at this point. I don't even know if I'm actually dealing with him.
Call his broker. This is unacceptable. Ask the broker to dissolve the contract and then find another listing agent.

I would report him to the board, as well.

There is no excuse for not returning phone calls and being unresponsive.

He is supposed to be working for you, in your best interests, and he's not.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:43 AM

5,147 posts, read 5,492,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

Why not?

If you have the attitude of "I give up" and "I can't make him talk to me..." then you're wasting a whole month....and for what reason? Selling a house is too big of a transaction to sit idly by waiting for the clock to run out. Time is of the essence.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:53 AM

4,066 posts, read 3,287,327 times
I most certainly would contact his broker. Your agent wont communicate with you; find someone in his office who will.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:41 PM

313 posts, read 71,204 times
I, too have to disagree with not being willing to call his broker. The longer a house sits, the worse it will be. You’d be better off simply withdrawing and waiting till spring, which I think you mentioned earlier.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:11 PM

38,981 posts, read 15,302,757 times
Who's to say what the market will be like in the spring?

IMO, calling the broker and explaining the problem and see if there isn't some solution here.

You want to lower the price and can afford to do so, why wait? Many markets slow down during the fall as folks settle in for the winter.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:22 PM

10,535 posts, read 12,480,385 times
Forget calls...................show up to the brokers office. Text/call the agent with the broker standing there and show them the poor response. I'd show up and blow up right there in the office.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:41 PM

6,104 posts, read 3,396,452 times
FWIW, different opinion, I'm not sure I'm on board with calling the Broker unless you're sure you want to fire the guy RIGHT NOW and the agent is avoiding you. The Designated Broker can do that.

I'm not sure about showing up at the office either. Lots of agents hardly go to the office any more, and I'd bet the Designated Broker answers the phone less often than the agent.

We're not employees. We're independent contractors. The boss isn't going to call in the agent and reprimand him or write him up or make him do his job... though they do sometimes serve in a job coach/mentor type role as well. Rather, the Designated Broker is there to keep oversight over agents to keep them legal. It's up to agents themselves to run their business and keep their clients happy or risk losing them. More than likely a call to the broker will result in a friendly call between the two with suggestions on how to fix this angry client situation.

I would just call the guy. Email, text, keep calling, blow up his phone until he answers. If it's always this hard, then yeah... I'd fire him too. Was this agent by chance someone with a lot of impressive statistics about how many listings they have? Sometimes this is what that looks like. Sometimes the rock star agent isn't really the best at actual customer service. You can find one who is.... There's plenty of agents out there who are responsive and who actually answer the phone.

My two cents

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 08-27-2019 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or