U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2019, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
3,800 posts, read 9,328,904 times
Reputation: 7380

Advertisements

My listing agent is not returning my call. I have a 90 day contract that ends Sept 30.

I listed my house in mid July for $365,000. This was totally listing agents idea (no pressure from me at all about the price bc I had no idea). He showed me comps and I agreed. 40 days on market and no offers. Last week = no showings. I emailed him about 2 weeks in and he states marketing activity was good so trust the process.

3 days ago, I text him to call me and allow for 15 minute conversation. He says he'll call me this week. This week? Really?

The only feedback I've had from him are auto-generated reports from realtor.com and feedback from earlier showings via an app.

I actually want to drop my price to sell my freakin house. I did my own research and I want to list at $349,900. Big drop, yeah, but I want to sell and I can afford to do this. I think the price should've been dropped sooner, but here I am. I haven't been able to communicate this to the realtor bc I'm waiting on his call. He has email, but his assistant handles it and I don't want to deal with her as she has to check with him anyway so it's just a waste of my time.

FWIW, I did research on my agent. 18 years experience. Sold houses in my neighborhood. Well-known in my community. Great references.

Now I realize he has great references because I never talked to people for whom he wasn't able to sell their houses.

This whole process has been crazy stressful. I'm thinking about 1) letting this sitaution go and simply letting the contract run out and relisting in the spring with another agent, 2) seeing if we can mutually agree to dissolve the contract early and get another agent now.

We're getting ready to move out of state, but we have flex dates so I can actually wait, but then again, I am so ready to move on.


What would you do?

Last edited by bande1102; 08-26-2019 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
6,104 posts, read 3,396,452 times
Reputation: 16578
He's not the president. I don't think a proposed 15 minute phone call should take this much pre-scheduling.

What would I do? I'd text him, if that's been your way, and tell him to call you today when he's free... because you want to drop the price asap. That will get his attention and give him some preparation for the call.

And then I would just be a lot more communicative with him. Text him frequently, and ask questions, ask for followup. Ask if there has been any new activity to report. See if he'll come back with more. If you guys didn't make clear how much communication you wanted, he may not be sure, and may not want to bother you if he has no news. Encourage more communication.

If he won't give it to you, then consider something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
3,800 posts, read 9,328,904 times
Reputation: 7380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
He's not the president. I don't think a proposed 15 minute phone call should take this much pre-scheduling.

What would I do? I'd text him, if that's been your way, and tell him to call you today when he's free... because you want to drop the price asap. That will get his attention and give him some preparation for the call.

And then I would just be a lot more communicative with him. Text him frequently, and ask questions, ask for followup. Ask if there has been any new activity to report. See if he'll come back with more. If you guys didn't make clear how much communication you wanted, he may not be sure, and may not want to bother you if he has no news. Encourage more communication.

If he won't give it to you, then consider something else.
Thanks. BTW, excellent tip about establishing communication to begin with. This did not occur to me. FWIW, I feel like he's going to want to discuss dropping the price and is gathering info to back that up. I've had friends who sold who really gave their agents a hard time about dropping the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:29 PM
 
8,059 posts, read 9,860,058 times
Reputation: 14329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My listing agent is not returning my call. I have a 90 day contract that ends Sept 30.

I listed my house in mid August for $365,000. This was totally listing agents idea (no pressure from me at all about the price bc I had no idea). He showed me comps and I agreed. 40 days on market and no offers. ?
Mid - August? Is that correct? It's only August 26th now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
3,800 posts, read 9,328,904 times
Reputation: 7380
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Mid - August? Is that correct? It's only August 26th now...
Oh wow, I meant to type mid July. I'll go back and edit, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
6,104 posts, read 3,396,452 times
Reputation: 16578
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Thanks. BTW, excellent tip about establishing communication to begin with. This did not occur to me. FWIW, I feel like he's going to want to discuss dropping the price and is gathering info to back that up. I've had friends who sold who really gave their agents a hard time about dropping the price.

You may be right, and if you're going to make it easier for him by suggesting the price reduction yourself, then you can save him a lot of time and angst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Danbury CT covering all of Fairfield County
2,267 posts, read 6,023,098 times
Reputation: 1084
Call the office and ask for the manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 04:46 PM
 
18,761 posts, read 20,677,565 times
Reputation: 27665
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My listing agent is not returning my call. I have a 90 day contract that ends Sept 30.

I listed my house in mid July for $365,000. This was totally listing agents idea (no pressure from me at all about the price bc I had no idea). He showed me comps and I agreed. 40 days on market and no offers. Last week = no showings. I emailed him about 2 weeks in and he states marketing activity was good so trust the process.

3 days ago, I text him to call me and allow for 15 minute conversation. He says he'll call me this week. This week? Really?

The only feedback I've had from him are auto-generated reports from realtor.com and feedback from earlier showings via an app.

I actually want to drop my price to sell my freakin house. I did my own research and I want to list at $349,900. Big drop, yeah, but I want to sell and I can afford to do this. I think the price should've been dropped sooner, but here I am. I haven't been able to communicate this to the realtor bc I'm waiting on his call. He has email, but his assistant handles it and I don't want to deal with her as she has to check with him anyway so it's just a waste of my time.

FWIW, I did research on my agent. 18 years experience. Sold houses in my neighborhood. Well-known in my community. Great references.

Now I realize he has great references because I never talked to people for whom he wasn't able to sell their houses.

This whole process has been crazy stressful. I'm thinking about 1) letting this sitaution go and simply letting the contract run out and relisting in the spring with another agent, 2) seeing if we can mutually agree to dissolve the contract early and get another agent now.

We're getting ready to move out of state, but we have flex dates so I can actually wait, but then again, I am so ready to move on.


What would you do?

I would call his broker. Then I would tell the broker I want to cancel the contract or give me another agent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 05:03 PM
 
676 posts, read 203,085 times
Reputation: 1682
Yes the broker is his boss. This guy is a loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Gainesville, FL
311 posts, read 71,204 times
Reputation: 421
Did you tell him you want to drop the price? Does he know it’s a time sensitive situation?

If yes and yes, call his broker. Don’t email or text, call. The broker is the one ultimately on the hook for what his agents do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top