Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 05:30 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,764 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to a different state. I visited the area in early August and met with a real estate agent who showed me several properties. She put in several hours for a couple days driving me around the area. And since Ive been back home, she has been sending emails with new properties. She did not ask me to sign any realtor-client contract. While we do get along fine,we aren't a good fit for various reasons which i won't detail here. But I feel uncomfortable with regard to telling her that I want to find a new realtor ....since she has put considerable time into helping me find a house. Has anyone here experienced anything like this? How did you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 06:11 PM

357 posts, read 247,872 times
Buyer-broker agreements aren’t that common in some areas. It’s sort of an implied relationship. It is kind of hard to give advice when we don’t really know why you’re wanting to separate from her. Being direct is probably the best option. I would add that it would be unethical for you to ask another agent to show you properties this agent has already sent you.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:22 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,764 times
Thank you. No I would never engage the service of a second realtor before terminating this relationship. I just feel bad that she has given me some time and I do wish I felt more comfortable with her. It's an important huge investment for us and Im going to be spending a lot more time with whomever we decide to use and I don't want it to be this realtor.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:51 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
It is hard to know without knowing the reason.

The agent is going to want to know the reason. Because we're curious!

There is no fun way to be broken up with if we've done what we feel is a good job and you just don't like us. It hurts. A couple of them still hurt even years later... But we know it does happen.

Is the reason something the Realtor should know or needs to improve? And if yes then is there a constructive way to tell her?

Alternately, if the reason would be hurtful without teaching the Realtor something important she should know, then I would just make it a white lie. Say you've decided to put off the move or move elsewhere and you want to cancel the emails.. and then contact someone else. It happens in this business. We don't dwell on it if it's not made personal.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:14 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Aa a realtor i would prefer a buyer tell me "x" I really appreciate the time you took sending me listings and showing me homes, but i just don't feel like we click, and am going to take a break from looking, and probably try out another realtor. I feel like i need "x" to be comfortable with making a purchase of my next home. Obviously, if i choose a home you found and showed us, i would use you to complete the sale. (Surely you would...i hope). I don't want there to be hard feelings, and i wanted to let you know rather than just disappearing."

Old 08-31-2019, 05:31 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
When we moved to Tennessee we found a realtor that I didn't click with. I thought she was a bit snarky and not very patient.
I thought about finding a different realtor but didn't because she had shown us a house we were still considering.
I eventually decided to just ignore her sharp tongue and keep everything businesslike. We did buy a house with her as our agent and, in retrospect, I feel like she did us a very good job and we probably could not have found anyone better as a realtor.
Good luck with your move and I hope everything works out well for you.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:22 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Thank you. No I would never engage the service of a second realtor before terminating this relationship. I just feel bad that she has given me some time and I do wish I felt more comfortable with her. It's an important huge investment for us and Im going to be spending a lot more time with whomever we decide to use and I don't want it to be this realtor.
You have no obligation, implied or otherwise, to only deal with one realtor (unless you have an exclusive contract). OTOH, as another poster pointed-out, it would be unethical for you to ask a second realtor to re-show you a property that you already viewed with Realtor #1.

If you still feel uncomfortable about working with another realtor, send Realtor #1 a gift card/gas card and thank her for her service ... and perhaps tell her you've decided to "go another direction"

Old 08-31-2019, 10:28 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
It is totally okay to move on to another real estate agent. Don't feel guilty about it. None of us is the best agent for everyone out there. I personally think that one of the reasons we have a professional image problem is that consumers stick with agents they don't think are good because they hate conflict and don't want to terminate the relationship.

Just be matter-of-fact. Say that you appreciate the time she gave you, but you are hiring a different agent that is better fit for you. Keep it simple and to the point.

You owe the agent nothing. It is part of the business that we lose hours to potential clients.

Next time interview three buyer agents before committing to one. Let them know you are interviewing and don't be pressured into signing anything.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:02 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
I don't think you have to tell her anything (because it would hurt her feelings). Just ghost her and move on.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:26 AM

6,475 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I don't think you have to tell her anything (because it would hurt her feelings). Just ghost her and move on.
I could get "dicey" if the OP made an offer on a home that the fired Realtor showed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate