U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 08:41 AM

6,158 posts, read 3,416,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post
Thank you Diana Holbrook for your insightful input !

In regards to the lot, any negatives I should look out for on my selection ? Such as facing a certain way to attain more light, sitting water that may appear to have drainage issues... etc. ?
Noticing that you are in WA, (though our search is more in the Clark County area) would you have any input on builders that should be avoided and those who are good ?
We appreciate whatever you can share of your "Insider" knowledge ! Thanks again !
Clark county is just a little out of my normal range, and no I don’t know of any builders down there that I would or wouldn’t recommend unfortunately!

As for other considerations about the lot there are a million possible considerations and none that are universal. It just depends on the local terrain and choices.

If you’re talking about buying sight-unseen it seems pretty daunting to choose a builder and then separately choose a lot where you are starting from scratch. There’s just too many variables. The situation that I would imagine is much easier to wrap your head around from a distance might be a new planned development where you can look at the parts of the neighborhood that are already in and easily imagine the parts yet to be built. Same builder, three or four or five floorplans to choose from in the development, All the site work and utilities and drainage and landscaping are all planned. You’re not gonna find great award-winning unique architecture here, this is the definition of cookie-cutter neighborhood. But that’s the advantage from a distance. You know exactly what you’re going to get. And we have them to fit all budgets.... starter homes and townhomes up to mcmansions.

I mean, it’s either that or buy 5 acres and clear it and develop it exactly how you want where you can control every variable yourself :-)

Really just depends on your budget and what you’re looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM

53 posts, read 13,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Clark county is just a little out of my normal range, and no I donít know of any builders down there that I would or wouldnít recommend unfortunately!

As for other considerations about the lot there are a million possible considerations and none that are universal. It just depends on the local terrain and choices.

If youíre talking about buying sight-unseen it seems pretty daunting to choose a builder and then separately choose a lot where you are starting from scratch. Thereís just too many variables. The situation that I would imagine is much easier to wrap your head around from a distance might be a new planned development where you can look at the parts of the neighborhood that are already in and easily imagine the parts yet to be built. Same builder, three or four or five floorplans to choose from in the development, All the site work and utilities and drainage and landscaping are all planned. Youíre not gonna find great award-winning unique architecture here, this is the definition of cookie-cutter neighborhood. But thatís the advantage from a distance. You know exactly what youíre going to get. And we have them to fit all budgets.... starter homes and townhomes up to mcmansions.

I mean, itís either that or buy 5 acres and clear it and develop it exactly how you want where you can control every variable yourself :-)

Really just depends on your budget and what youíre looking for.

And that's okay for us.... we're not "well to do" and those type of new homes fit our budget and lifestyle.
My BH came from a very poor upbringing in a poor country where when it rained, mud would come through their "shack" of a house. All she wants is something new where she can call ..."home."
Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and expertise with us.... it is much appreciated !
And to the original poster, my apologies for hijacking your thread. My initial question was similar to yours and then....

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM

12,030 posts, read 20,572,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post
I disagree. When we were stationed in Hawaii and got orders back to the mainland there was no way we could make a house hunting trip and base housing was being renovated so it wasnít an option. There was nothing in decent shape on the rental market. That meant buying a house. We found a great realtor and had her send us pictures and video of the exterior and interior of prospective homes and used google earth to get a feel for the area. Once we narrowed it down our sponsor in my husbandís new unit did the drive to and from base and sent us video and took a look at the houses to make sure the realtor hadnít overlooked anything. We decided on one, made an offer, had all the inspections done and didnít see it in person until we arrived CONUS two months later.

It was a great house and we were happy there for four years until it was time to move again!

Buying sight unseen means you need to have people you trust on the ground acting for you and itís more important than ever that you do your research and due diligence (and ask the right questions) during the process but Iím not the only one I know who has had a successful outcome.

We arenít ďlow intelligence,Ē we are military families. We know how to be flexible, adapt and thrive when faced with all kinds of challenges. Buying a home sight unseen was a minor one in the grand scheme of things.
As someone who is considering doing just this ó what are the right questions?

Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
As someone who is considering doing just this — what are the right questions?

Couple things, not exhaustive, just came to mind thinking:

Are there smells? Smells don't show up in pictures!

Are there sounds?

Is there wear and tear that doesn't show up in pictures, but shows up when close up? Close up pictures of the kind of wear and tear you see on cabinets, floors, walls, corners, carpets.

Outward looking pictures from the house. Most pictures online show the house, but not what you see when you are at the house, on the deck, across the street, out the windows, anything surprising there?

Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Couple things, not exhaustive, just came to mind thinking:

Are there smells? Smells don't show up in pictures!

Are there sounds?

Is there wear and tear that doesn't show up in pictures, but shows up when close up? Close up pictures of the kind of wear and tear you see on cabinets, floors, walls, corners, carpets.

Outward looking pictures from the house. Most pictures online show the house, but not what you see when you are at the house, on the deck, across the street, out the windows, anything surprising there?
Thank you!

Old Today, 10:11 AM

2,544 posts, read 1,293,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
As someone who is considering doing just this ó what are the right questions?
Additionally a few a realtor might not be able to answer but a trusted person the ground could....

Do the neighbors seem ok? Loud parties? Disrepair of their house? Dogs in the yard that don't seem to go inside and bark a lot? Pool with noisy kids all summer? Grass cut on the regular?

What's the drive up to the property like? Street view and Google Earth are great to help with that but it's not always 100%

Ask for MEASUREMENTS and floor plans. Lots of fancy angles and lenses online can be distorting.

Old Today, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Additionally a few a realtor might not be able to answer but a trusted person the ground could....

Do the neighbors seem ok? Loud parties? Disrepair of their house? Dogs in the yard that don't seem to go inside and bark a lot? Pool with noisy kids all summer? Grass cut on the regular?

What's the drive up to the property like? Street view and Google Earth are great to help with that but it's not always 100%

Ask for MEASUREMENTS and floor plans. Lots of fancy angles and lenses online can be distorting.
Thank you!

Old Today, 11:01 AM

There are questions Realtors shouldn't be asked to answer about a neighborhood... but how it looks and whether there are noisy kids/dogs parties or run-down places is not off limits. We can do that.

Google Earth and street view may work OK for in town and suburbia, but can be quite out of date. I have driven down a road taking video of the homes on both sides. Not quite as high quality as Google, but at least current as of that day.

Old Today, 11:47 AM

2,544 posts, read 1,293,585 times
Quote:
There are questions Realtors shouldn't be asked to answer about a neighborhood... but how it looks and whether there are noisy kids/dogs parties or run-down places is not off limits. We can do that.

Google Earth and street view may work OK for in town and suburbia, but can be quite out of date. I have driven down a road taking video of the homes on both sides. Not quite as high quality as Google, but at least current as of that day.
Realtors are usually more diplomatic than a trusted friend or business partner. We ask about the age demographics sometimes if we are trying to flip a property as it can make a difference in terms of how we might finish/style/market a place. But realtors often hesitate to answer such questions. I understand.

Old Today, 08:37 PM

8,237 posts, read 15,069,062 times
We bought our retirement house sight unseen by us. We had a realtor I trusted who took incredible pictures/videos. While I hated the house, the property and well below the price we were looking for. We got 4 very private ag acres and the house - well, I don't completely hate it but it is slowly getting to where I'm ok with it. We downsized from 4000 sq ft to under 1,000. The house isn't bigger, but we did add 2 storage buildings, a workshop for hubby, and an RV for guests. The pool, outdoor shower, and 1000 sq ft of deck we added have compensated a lot for having a washing machine in the kitchen and only 1 bathroom. We are comfortable; the location is more than what we expected and the house is........just a house. It's paid for and taxes are low.

We got what we expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or