U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 07:13 PM

15,282 posts, read 31,775,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The house I had built in 1976 had the old single ply three tab shingles on it. The current owner had it replaced in 2018.

42 years! No problems until the end.
I replaced a three tab roof on a house I flipped last year that was put on in 1988. There were numerous leaks and the granules were completely gone in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM

7,238 posts, read 3,997,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I replaced a three tab roof on a house I flipped last year that was put on in 1988. There were numerous leaks and the granules were completely gone in some areas.
Yup. Anecdotes that don't prove anything except that those who deal in absolutes are always wrong sometimes. Fifteen or twenty year rooves can last over forty and forty year rooves can be shot in fifteen.

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

3,895 posts, read 1,003,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Sounds like my roof. We got ours done right at the 30y mark when we experienced a leak. Roofer replaced 7 sheets of plywood and replaced old 3 tab with a GAF 50y product. 1000 SF Cape Cod, SE US, $4100 installed.

Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

4,287 posts, read 20,976,026 times
Waiting for a roof to leak to replace it is a very poor strategy. I don't know anyone that drives their car until the tires wear thru and blow out, yet when it comes to homes, they decide to wait until something fails until they replace it.

My guess is the roof in question probably looks worn (if its 30 years old, it probably does), and the house would likely sell faster, and for t a higher amount with a new roof. Someone buying a house with a worn out roof is likely going to try to negotiate a lower price.

I constantly hear from sellers that are not going to do anything more to the house, yet when they are buying, they want everything new and perfect condition. As a home inspector, I saw both sides of this issue almost daily.

I had many clients that bitched about the inspection that was done on the house they were selling, yet turned around and were complete jerks on the house they were buying. I guess its human nature.

Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

3,895 posts, read 1,003,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Waiting for a roof to leak to replace it is a very poor strategy. I don't know anyone that drives their car until the tires wear thru and blow out, yet when it comes to homes, they decide to wait until something fails until they replace it.

My guess is the roof in question probably looks worn (if its 30 years old, it probably does), and the house would likely sell faster, and for t a higher amount with a new roof. Someone buying a house with a worn out roof is likely going to try to negotiate a lower price.

I constantly hear from sellers that are not going to do anything more to the house, yet when they are buying, they want everything new and perfect condition. As a home inspector, I saw both sides of this issue almost daily.

I had many clients that bitched about the inspection that was done on the house they were selling, yet turned around and were complete jerks on the house they were buying. I guess its human nature.
Yes. It is human nature to play to what suits us best in the short term, irrespective of which side of the fence we currently stand, or how recently we once stood on the other side. We can be jerks as sellers and play the jerk buyer we hated so much just days ago. If you donít fight for your own interests, no one else will.

Planning ahead and thinking proactively are learned behaviors. We (I) make judgment calls (gambles) on how proactive replacement affects our budget this pay period / month / year vs. what extra weíd stand to lose if we rolled the dice and experienced total failure. In the case of a roof, it may mean a wet ceiling and a section of drywall. In the case of a tire, it may mean your life. Youíve got to weigh the risk and cost:

- Roof: $4100 true to our estimate despite plywood replacement. Life endangerment for keeping a roof until it leaks... near zero.
- Tires: $600-800 for a set of four, easy to check tread wear, pressure, damage. Life endangerment for keeping until failure... high.

Each person has their own pace, their own budget. In my situation, this was an as-is purchase, house was being discharged from service as a rental. We saw it as an opportunity to live within city limits and close to... well, everywhere we went on a weekly basis, for $120k. Turnkey inventory available was close to $200k and up.

Thus far we have only done the roof and the HVAC (with blower and ductwork at $3500). Mortgage and utilities are just plain dirt cheap and we are loving it. Original windows and siding, no rush to replace. Making you nervous?

Old Today, 11:59 AM

10,858 posts, read 10,348,709 times
Our roof actually is a 25 year roof (mandates be hoa). Itís thirty years old, still kicking. Sure thereís been erosion but itís hanging in there. Replacing it this year courtesy of hail atorm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate