U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

5,160 posts, read 3,306,843 times

Advertisements

Have a company co-worker who was commenting about selling his place. He was told (by the realtor) he needed to replace the roof. He found out it would be about $12,900. 16 years ago it was $4,800.

I asked him why replace the roof when it still had 14 good years or better left? He said he'd talk to the realtor as to why this was wanted, since I was right about the roof not needing replacement.

Have any here had that issue and results were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

2,172 posts, read 634,802 times
Maybe it has hail or wind damage? insurance should cover it assuming they had coverage when the damage occured. Some cheap "30 year" shingles can lose their granules prematurely as well. Needing a new roof at 16 years isn't that hard to believe.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,312 posts, read 55,239,559 times
A 30 year roof rarely lasts 30 years, and I would consider $12,900 to be an amazingly good price. We replaced our "25 year" roof last fall (after 18 years) and it cost us just over $20,000. Metal roofs will normally last as long as the manufacturer claims, but for shakes or composition the climate and how it's maintained make a huge difference.

Their 30 year roof probably has a warranty that only covers manufacturing defects, not wearing out, and even the best warranties cover the replacement shingles, not the labor. Most jurisdictions now require passing a roof inspection for any sale so best to just go ahead and do it.

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

28,890 posts, read 62,976,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I asked him why replace the roof when it still had 14 good years or better left?
Probably because it doesn't actually have 14 more good years left...
or has some appearance issue (staining?) that will have buyers asking questions
and doing so before they have even parked their car.

Tire mileage claims are another example... I can get a lot of miles out of a tire.
But my ex would never get more than half out of the same tire because of how she drives.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

12,279 posts, read 6,823,103 times
Is he actually going to believe the realtor? Unless realtor did a certified home inspection including walking on the roof.

But... some insurance companies have been rejecting or increasing prices on policies if roofs are over 10 yrs or so. Sure, let's all put on 20K roofs every ten years. Scam. Just another way to squeeze homeowners on a major expense. Realtors try to get sellers to update and spend all kinds of money to make it easier for them to sell and get paid sooner, even if the homeowner loses money.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,371,750 times
The RE agent is expressing an opinion that the state of the roof will be a problem.

Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. If I were living in the house, if it wasn't leaking as far as I could tell, and I knew the roof was well within expected lifespan, I might be inclined to put it on the market as is.

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

10,854 posts, read 10,338,559 times
Not sure what motivated the realtor to make that suggestion since it is such a big ticket item. Personally I wouldn't do it unless the roof was showing obvious signs of compromise. Our roof is 30 years old, original to the house. The previous owners sold the house to us with a 25 year old roof and we purchased it despite that. The roof is still standing strong and has had no leaks, though hail damage has allowed us to replace it via insurance.

OUr entire neighborhood is full of homes either pushing 30 or are over 30. If you want a newer roof, then a buyer should look at a newer neighborhood. They'd probably surrender character and lot size as a result.

In any case I don't think a realtor should suggest that a client take on such a big expense UNLESS the roof (as shown by inspection) is clearly shown as nearing the end of its lifespan.

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

7,651 posts, read 3,201,215 times
If I was weighing this decision and I was not the one who personally installed that roof, I'd have it inspected in detail by someone with a known good reputation. Having a "30 year roof" implies the materials. It does not prevent any specific part of that roof from failing after 15 years if someone somewhere did a less-than-great job installing or maintaining those materials. Ask me why I know.

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

22,738 posts, read 9,691,361 times
Quote:
Have a company co-worker who was commenting about selling his place. He was told (by the realtor) he needed to replace the roof. He found out it would be about $12,900. 16 years ago it was $4,800.

I asked him why replace the roof when it still had 14 good years or better left? He said he'd talk to the realtor as to why this was wanted, since I was right about the roof not needing replacement.

Have any here had that issue and results were?
I don't think I would replace the roof it were me. We bought a house about 20 years ago, and it needed a new within a year. Passed inspection fine.

I would wait and see if a buyer balks at the roof, but they may not care or notice that it needs a roof. Is it leaking? Are roof tiles missing? If not--I'd wait and offer a credit towards the roof if it came up as a problem. Also--a new owner may want to pick out their own roof type and color. I would never take one realtor's word for anything. Get it inspected. Why buy a brand new roof they will never use?

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

3,636 posts, read 2,004,908 times
Quote:
Have a company co-worker who was commenting about selling his place. He was told (by the realtor) he needed to replace the roof. ..
Since when are realtors qualified to assess the integrity of a roof?

Yes, he needs to talk with realtor to find out the basis for this comment.
The roof may be unsightly from moss or mildew/dirt, in which case perhaps a power washing is in order.
If no rust, rot or leaks present, I certainly wouldn't go to the trouble and cost of doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate