U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 06:57 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,319,025 times

Advertisements

I like the before picture better. The bay window doesn’t even look to me like a bay in the after version. And those chairs are SO distracting. I’ve become like Mike. Empty is best. Although framed art sometimes adds some subtle drama that’s needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 06:59 AM

359 posts, read 100,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It is possible the angle of the first photo actually shows the size of the bay window area better than the staged one.

The angle on the second photo is pleasing, and it shows off the table better, but I might argue it actually makes the table look bigger and the room look smaller. I can see far more wood floor in the first photo, than the second.

And since we're being critical, I object to white upholstery for the same reason I object to white carpet. Particularly in a dining room.
Haha, tell me about it!! My parents have white in the living room and dining room...which is baffling to me since they have grandkids.

The dark rug throws me off a lot in both photos and probably makes the room look smaller than it is.

I absolutely agree that lighting, professional photography and editing, and ďless is moreĒ are preferable.

The second (staged) photo would be a turnoff to me bc thatís not real life for me. My kids would knock the stuff off the table. My kids would be fighting over the bench. Itís cringeworthy when adding in the white. Lol

How it looks IN PERSON tells more than the photos. Fresh flowers donít stay fresh, for one. Some people remove the staging after photos or after the first month. Just give me an empty space and let me envision my family in it.

The same mistake is made here as in many listing photos. It shows off the furniture, not the space.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Talking about pictures, I have seen pictures that were so elongated to make the hallways longer, rooms enlarged, that when you actually get to the house, you are very disappointed to see that it is way smaller. I don't think they should do things like that because people would be expecting a lot more when they actually view the property in person.
100%. This is a big pet peeve of mine and it usually happens when someone inexperienced is doing the photography. Wide angle lenses can cause distortion, starting at what you mentioned and ending in a fisheye look. Neither represent the actual home.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think anything you can do to enhance the appearance of your house/condo is worth the effort. You want a prospective buyer to walk in and be wowed at how clean and well decorated the place is, and imagine how it would look with their belongings in there.

I have even heard where some sellers put something on the stove cooking that puts out a good aroma to make the place seem even homier.
Except when your belongings include an old couch and a dining table with scratches in it, it doesnít help anything. While certain price points are more likely to have owners/buyers who can fill the space with beautiful furniture, thatís not always the case for some of the mid-priced homes. Those are homes bought by people moving up, who likely donít have perfect furniture and possibly wonít have the funds for such until later.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:10 AM

1,258 posts, read 709,876 times
I don’t like the dark rug in the dining room. Besides being really impractical (shows every crumb, etc.), it makes the room look smaller.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:18 AM

569 posts, read 215,545 times
We're listing soon and have an open mind about staging, will listen to what top-selling agents say.
My guess is they will say "don't stage" because inventory is so low here it's a sellers market. Our own furniture is not interesting enough to use and my personal opinion is that "empty" looks nicer and bigger. Plus we are moving our furniture to new home cuz we NEED it haha.

When we bought the house we're selling 11 years ago owners furniture was unstaged and it was the only house we saw in 3 months that fit our requirements so furniture did not matter.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:02 AM

14,983 posts, read 8,789,017 times
The first thing I thought of was the fact that normal human beings don't buy white chairs.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:00 AM

6,382 posts, read 3,566,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Talking about pictures, I have seen pictures that were so elongated to make the hallways longer, rooms enlarged, that when you actually get to the house, you are very disappointed to see that it is way smaller. I don't think they should do things like that because people would be expecting a lot more when they actually view the property in person.
Iíve seen 1964 single wide mobile homes made to look like a posh hunting lodge with overly HDRíd pictures.

Itís important to take good pictures! But people should not be disappointed when they actually get there.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 AM

6,382 posts, read 3,566,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The first thing I thought of was the fact that normal human beings don't buy white chairs.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:48 AM

7,947 posts, read 3,231,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Here's a piece about how staging supposedly dramatically transforms a room. and perhaps could make or break a sale?

In this particular example, the owners were worried potential buyers would forget to look at bay window and fireplace.

So they hired decorators to put a bench by the bay window, and change the frame hanging above the fireplace.

The only reason the "after" photo looks better is that it is professionally photographed and color corrected, giving potential buyers a view of what it could look like with abundant lighting of the right color temperature.

It's not that the bench by the window or watercolor artwork add any value.

There was nothing wrong with the old setup, and I don't see how anyone could miss such a large bay window and fireplace. When you look at a house, don't you look everywhere anyway?

The added bench just gets in the way of me standing by the window and looking outside, and makes the place feel smaller.

You don't need extra furniture. You just need to declutter and take professional, well-lit photos.

https://magazine.realtor/slideshow#!...howCNid:144179
Article is a generalization. We will be gone when the house is listed. The floors will be sanded and refinished, and a professionally selected paint scheme will be applied. Staging where I live can add $50-grand. No brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate