U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 03:00 PM

3,299 posts, read 2,011,727 times

Advertisements

I actually think the "after" picture *does* look nicer and looks more "homey." The before picture is colder, and doesn't look like anyone actually lives there. While yes, on a practical level, I'm not keeping flowers on my dining room table every day and having it set like I'm having a dinner party, that's not really the point. The point is to get buyers to buy into the fantasy of living there -- for example, in my fantasy life, I entertain all the time. Have people in the back yard, have dinner parties, holiday parties, etc. But in reality, I almost never entertain. But imagining that I could do so would be a factor in going through houses. Part of selling is creating the fantasy -- which is why I often hear that rooms should look like they're in a fancy high end hotel, rather than making the room seem like a typical bedroom. The rooms should be inviting to spend time in. And that's what staging does.

For me, I can imagine quite fine what my stuff would look like in the house. But apparently there are huge numbers of people who can't. The bigger issue I found when shopping for homes was half-assed staging. Like, they'd put just a bed in a bedroom but no other furniture. Apparently the potential buyers needed to see a bed in the room to understand that the room could function as a bedroom. Sometimes the bed was even a fake bed, and the bedspread on it looked like it was somebody's mother's old bedspread they'd been storing in their garage. If you're going to stage, then stage it right. Make it look like a bedroom you'd actually want to live in. I can't tell you the number of homes we saw where the staging looked worse than if the homes had been completely empty. I don't know why they bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 05:22 AM

8 posts, read 1,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Hi Andre, I’m not against staging, but if a house is lower priced, then it’s cheaper to read how to articles and DIY. I’ve watched a utube video to learn how to properly roll washcloths and hang towels, so they would look nice in the bathroom. I agree, a clean house, with pretty touches will sell faster.

If you’re a stager, there are plenty of people out there who would benefit from hiring you. I’ve seen some awful houses on the market.
I am not saying that you are against staging, but major advantages of virtual staging is that it allows potential buyers to fully visualize what each room of a home looks like with furniture and décor. Yeah I am also see a couple of awful houses in the market, but staging may change your way of visualiztion of that house.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:53 AM

6,800 posts, read 3,752,167 times
I had a 3 year old, pristine condition home (and I do mean pristine - no scratches, nail holes, etc.) on the market for 6 months with little traffic and 2 very lowball offers from investor-types who never even saw the home.

It was empty.

I staged it and got an acceptable offer within 3 weeks. In my case one negative (floor style) was fixed by throw rugs and furniture to break up the look.

I do question what I'd call "incremental" staging for anything other than the highest-end homes, and I'm not talking decluttering as staging.

But many buyers can't visualize a room without seeing decor and furniture in it. If you virtually stage you might get people to the open house but they'll get confused when they arrive.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:35 PM

1,626 posts, read 608,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Russel View Post
I am not saying that you are against staging, but major advantages of virtual staging is that it allows potential buyers to fully visualize what each room of a home looks like with furniture and décor. Yeah I am also see a couple of awful houses in the market, but staging may change your way of visualiztion of that house.
Virtual staging is great if you also have virtual buyers. The problem, as many people have mentioned, is that most buyers have no imagination. They will expect to see the beautiful house they saw online, and will get confused and even angry, when they see a vacant house. Or a house with only a few pieces of furniture, which looks worse than a vacant house.

You’re right that it’s helpful to visualize where furniture goes, but seeing a vacant house after a pretty online presentation, might not help as much as you want it to. Buyers can be notoriously fussy. Of course what do I know, the Property Brothers get away with virtual presentations.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:36 PM

12,335 posts, read 18,265,374 times
Staging is good for people who can't see potential.

Old Today, 01:09 PM

3,788 posts, read 1,973,161 times
We had pics taken of our home today. They turned out really well.

We got rid of clutter...put away photos, etc.

I hate seeing listings that show a clean, tidy home. Our offer on a home in WA was accepted today. Vacant, I could actually SEE the space.

I remember seeing one high-dollar condo in downtown with the toilet seat up with a very, very dirty toilet...ewww!!

Old Today, 08:36 PM

12,335 posts, read 18,265,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
We had pics taken of our home today. They turned out really well.

We got rid of clutter...put away photos, etc.

I hate seeing listings that show a clean, tidy home. Our offer on a home in WA was accepted today. Vacant, I could actually SEE the space.

I remember seeing one high-dollar condo in downtown with the toilet seat up with a very, very dirty toilet...ewww!!
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate