U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

4,472 posts, read 2,636,407 times

Advertisements

Check this out, OP. This is currently happening in my little hamlet.

Billionaire local politician bought a 9,700 sq ft, 100 year old mansion for $2.6M and tore it down 5 months later.

https://fox6now.com/2019/05/30/chris...front-mansion/

The new hosue, a 17,000 sq ft monstrosity. I'm more upset about what it's going to look like from the lake.

https://patch.com/wisconsin/shorewoo...sion-shorewood

The lot is currently empty. The house was torn down a month or so ago and construction has not begun on the new house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

1,199 posts, read 644,575 times
No child needs his/her own bathroom. House builders today are not architects but merely construction workers.

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,493,990 times
I never really understand why people get weird by new construction feeling "cookie cutter", yet the houses from the 30s-50s literally were cookie cutter, mass produced as well and they all look alike as well.

Unless you're building your own house using your own architect and custom builder, you most likely are buying a mass produced house, either from 1935 until 2019.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

13,881 posts, read 9,968,005 times
A site for all who suffer from "McMansion" malaise.

https://mcmansionhell.com/

Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

1,683 posts, read 846,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
No child needs his/her own bathroom. House builders today are not architects but merely construction workers.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,975,511 times
I don't necessarily think new houses are ugly, but they are definitely poorly build, cutting corners and I don't like that, but hey, I bought and renovated a 100 year old house, so i love old houses.

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

9,220 posts, read 7,968,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I don't necessarily think new houses are ugly, but they are definitely poorly build, cutting corners and I don't like that, but hey, I bought and renovated a 100 year old house, so i love old houses.
I know two couples whose marriage issues were magnified when they undertook some serious home renovations on older homes. They fought like animals. Soon after the houses were finished, they split up and divorced.

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 2,636,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I know two couples whose marriage issues were magnified when they undertook some serious home renovations on older homes. They fought like animals. Soon after the houses were finished, they split up and divorced.
That's a marriage issue, not a house issue.

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

365 posts, read 84,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Check this out, OP. This is currently happening in my little hamlet.

Billionaire local politician bought a 9,700 sq ft, 100 year old mansion for $2.6M and tore it down 5 months later.

https://fox6now.com/2019/05/30/chris...front-mansion/

The new hosue, a 17,000 sq ft monstrosity. I'm more upset about what it's going to look like from the lake.

https://patch.com/wisconsin/shorewoo...sion-shorewood

The lot is currently empty. The house was torn down a month or so ago and construction has not begun on the new house.
I used to live on Newton. This is horrible. I absolutely love all the houses in that area with the exception of the newer construction behemoths on Lake Dr. This in particular will look terrible from the lake.

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
A site for all who suffer from "McMansion" malaise.

https://mcmansionhell.com/
Hah! This made my day. Cant agree more with that blogger. Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate