U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM

14,822 posts, read 8,678,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It cracks me up when the real estate TV shows call a 1400 sf house "small."
That's a 3/2, big enough for a family of six! Well, that might be a bit tight, but it's more than ample for two.

A woman I know was boasting about downsizing to a 4000 sf house. There are just two of them, what do they need all that space for?
Depends on the area. Everything is bigger in Texas and 1400 square is small. On the East Coast, that's a decent size house. Desirable traits are dependent on geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM

12,472 posts, read 7,098,893 times
I agree with the original poster. Most new houses being built ARE ugly: a mish-mash of many different exterior materials (shingles, brick, stone, and plank siding) on one house, no discernible or cohesive architectural style, cheek by jowl with neighboring lots, etc.

However, a house is bought with the homeowner's money. I support an owner's right to build whatever they like as long as it complies with codes and laws.

Last edited by texan2yankee; Yesterday at 07:34 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

366 posts, read 85,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
There's a particularly ugly new build (white faux farmhouse) on the corner of Lake Dr where it turns into Silver Spring in WFB. And it's set weird on the lot making it worse.
We moved away last spring but I think I remember that one. Thatís an odd corner there anyway.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

1,894 posts, read 653,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
...and when did it become "fashionable" to face the garage toward the street?

Or is it just less costly to build in that manner?
The garage usually faces the street due to property width constraints. Most new homes are on smaller lots in cluster type housing developments and if the garages were on the side, the driveway area would have to extend a minimum of 28 feet, from that end of the house to be able to comfortably turn the car around.

So basically you have a better side lot and less of a driveway if the garage faces the street.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

7,254 posts, read 5,518,746 times
It does depend on the area. We left the Midwest where we lived in a traditional style neighborhood with Craftsman and bungalow-style homes. They are newer but look traditional. We live in new construction on the east coast where our house is a French Country style, it's a mix of new and older style. Across the street, they are building a modern Craftsman house which looks very unique and original.

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

3,901 posts, read 1,009,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Disposable architecture is inherent in suburban sprawl.
I agree with this.

Any housing built in response to a surge in demand will be compromised in quality and taste.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

2,658 posts, read 700,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
But, when they demolish a Seattle Victorian, they replace it with a big ugly box that just doesn't go at all with the neighborhood, and in many cases the developer buys and demolishes two or 3 homes and replaces them like this:

I much prefer the beautiful, graceful modern house that you dislike. I dislike the ugly, uninteresting, unimaginative Victorians that you seem to prefer.

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmium View Post
It seems ridiculous to me to be living in a 2500-3000 sq ft house if you're just a four-member family or less
It's tough to put that indoor basketball court inside a tiny 2500-3000 sq ft home.

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,387,785 times
Default Don't get me started

Once upon a time, a long time ago, the rich were into a display of their wealth through their possessions. So there's a manor home in England with glass windows. First the walls were partition walls, not used to hold up the rooms/roof (an innovation) and the walls were filled with glass windows (also an innovation).

So today that's what we want in a house.

Back a few hundred years, the rich had tooled leather ceilings coverings in the grand buffet. In the 1930s', stamped tin ceilings replaced the leather, and today indented cellulose tiles hung below the floor above are the "rigorisme." One a poor copy of the other.

Or maybe its better said, "It's what you get used to."

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
The Charleston style neo plantation house is pretty if you have the ego to go along with it and don't mind evoking an earlier time when slavery was acceptable.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate