U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 01:24 PM

9,060 posts, read 8,268,575 times

Advertisements

The thing that is killing the small house in higher income parts of the country, with limited lot availability, is the cost of the lot.

Example; I had a relative die in Silicon Valley. They bought their home in 1980 for $17,000.

Her kids were able to sell it to a friend of a neighbor, and they bought it to tear down the house and build a large house. They sold it for $2,300,000 and her 3 kids ended up with $700,000 each after taxes, with no Realtor involved.

It was one of the last original homes in the subdivision, with every home sold, being a tear down, and is now a very upscale neighborhood.

They offered it for $1,400,000 as a FSBO, and the bidding war drove it up to the $2,300,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 PM

11,383 posts, read 8,628,355 times
What I dislike are the garages being the prominent feature of the front view.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:34 AM

15,301 posts, read 31,843,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Here's my neighbor's new house. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, of course, but it is truly beautiful if you like modern architecture and is stunning in its use of home automation technology.

https://www.eaglesentry.com/spaces-home
That looks like a school.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 AM

14,824 posts, read 8,699,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
What I dislike are the garages being the prominent feature of the front view.
Amen. Garages are so ugly. Why make it part of your front yard? It's like making the bathroom your front entrance.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:39 AM

1,018 posts, read 904,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That looks like a school.
Ha! It sure does.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:44 AM

1,018 posts, read 904,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Amen. Garages are so ugly. Why make it part of your front yard? It's like making the bathroom your front entrance.
Actually garages are nice to have. After years of street parking and parking in a lot, I am so glad to have a garage. It is nice to have a place to put my car in the winter and not worry about scraping off snow and ice. It is nice to have a work area.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:51 AM

10,891 posts, read 10,381,441 times
Quote:
Here's my neighbor's new house. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, of course, but it is truly beautiful if you like modern architecture and is stunning in its use of home automation technology.

https://www.eaglesentry.com/spaces-home

He did go a bit overboard -- for example, he has a car lift in one of the garages that lifts his Rolls Royce or Lamborghini directly into the master bedroom (actually, separated by floor-to-ceiling glass for safety reasons), which in turn has two king size beds smushed together. Another over-the-top example: every drawer in the kitchen & butler's pantry & dining room is motorized, and opens with a touch of a button on his cell phone.

It's a great house to host a charity fund-raiser or large party.

Here's a new house for sale near me in my vacation house neighborhood. Again, brand new construction, modern contemporary design. It also is stunning.:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...zpid/?mmlb=g,1

Not far is another new mountain contemporary: https://cityhomecollective.com/listi...canyon-gate-rd

Despite the OP's distaste for contemporary & modern construction, it is clear beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
"Stunning"? Far from it. Looks like the interior of an office building. Definitely not interested.

And LOL at the "show off" posts from you, hahaha.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:12 PM

1,605 posts, read 1,394,655 times
Default Or as often said, if at first you don't like it ...

Quote:
Absolutely.

There's an old saying about quality: If you want quality oats, expect to pay a premium price for them. If, however, you're willing to settle for oats that have already been processed by a horse, well, that's less expensive.

... run it through the horse again.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:20 PM

867 posts, read 232,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Actually garages are nice to have. After years of street parking and parking in a lot, I am so glad to have a garage. It is nice to have a place to put my car in the winter and not worry about scraping off snow and ice. It is nice to have a work area.
Yes, but not when it's the first thing you notice. Garages should be connected with a breezeway or be unnoticeable on the side of the house.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:28 PM

21,534 posts, read 12,155,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Not wanting the garage to be the first thing you notice about a house isn't the same as not wanting to have a garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate