U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM

21,451 posts, read 12,080,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
...and when did it become "fashionable" to face the garage toward the street?

Or is it just less costly to build in that manner?
About a century ago when people started driving cars instead of carriages.

Although I personally prefer my alley facing garage in a planned urban community neighborhood where almost none of the houses have front facing garages or driveways, and it's far more pleasant to take a stroll around the neighborhood.

We have side yards instead of backyards, but they are small to encourage people to utilize public parks and green space and interact with their neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

10,856 posts, read 10,338,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
Sorry, just a big, grassy backyard with back-porch, swing-set, fire pit, shed, and garden back there, and woods behind that. I like looking out my back kitchen window and seeing my private slice of nature, not trash cans and alley cats.
Same. I don't want to have a structure (garage) cutting into my lot space. I'd rather have my gardens and pool. I don't want any communal drive behind my house either. rear facing alley garages are a turn off to me, probably more than having the garage at the front.

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

2,536 posts, read 1,289,969 times
I would never own new construction. Not only are most hideous and cookie cutter, they are flimsily built. Unless you hire an architect and custom design build firm to bring your vision to life, new construction in the US is an eyesore.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

10,856 posts, read 10,338,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are no alleys in our city, behind our homes are the backyards of other homes. I fail to understand the reason for some people to dislike garages in the front of the house, which are normal. I have lived in
7 cities in 2 states and have never seen a garage behind the house in an alley except when visiting Vancouver, B.C. and in a fairly new development that's considered an "urban village" in a nearby city.
Personally, I would prefer a detached 4 car garage with 12' roll-up doors.
While aesthetically the swing in side entry garage that we have is nice, it isn't functional. You have to back out and immediately turn vs. our old front facing garage where we simply backed up. I think if the garage is proportional (especially if it is within the house, vs. sticking out) front facing garages aren't that bad to me.

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

15,941 posts, read 13,783,098 times
There is this area in Miami called Coconut Grove, nice little area with lots of old growth plants and trees, very green. Developers have been coming and buying up the old homes, tearing them down along with all plants and trees, and building these stupid looking white cubes that are homes, that take up basically the entire lot, some found to be even illegally taking up too much lot space. It totally does not go with the style of the area, and I have no idea who in the hell would be interested in such garbage though they said it is some fad with the wealthier South Americans.

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

15,941 posts, read 13,783,098 times
Quote:

Where else would it face to get a car into it?

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

7,657 posts, read 3,201,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
Why do people have such a problem with this? Who wants to try to maneuver their car around every time they leave/arrive? The average number of times a garage door is opened is 3-4x a day, so you can figure having to pull in/back out at least that many times.

It's one thing if you don't park in your garage or if you have enough land to have a sweeping curve to the driveway, but that house clearly has no choice but to have a straight driveway.
Not to mention that if you live in a snowy region those convoluted driveways and garage entrances make it more likely that someone will hit something every so often...and it won't be cheap or located inside the garage.

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

795 posts, read 565,493 times
Sometimes the older home is in such disrepair that it would take too much time and money to rehab. I don’t see beautiful older homes being bought up and torn down. In my area, houses that are attractive and have been maintained are too expensive for builders, even on large properties. The crap houses are the ones that are raised.

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

457 posts, read 173,780 times
Quote:

1. Yes it is less costly (smaller lot costs less to build "in that manner")

2. Not so much fashionable as that is what builders offered when buyers wanted a garage along with their house that fit the lot. Many, many homes did not include a garage for many years but once you've had a garage you always want one.

We built first home without a garage, didn't even think about it because many in neighborhood didn't have one even though we were in Delaware where it snowed and rained and also got hot lol. After selling that home every home thereafter had a garage (2 states-condos, single family homes). We got soft, so nice to bring groceries in while raining or snowing, car didn't heat up to 120 degrees in August. They all faced the street.

Nowadays expensive home garages MUST face sideways and be disguised as living space. Lawsy we can't have a garage show it's petticoat. A relative built a really beautiful home in gated community of equally beautiful homes, not cookie cutter, but all garages faced 90 degrees from house (possibly in HOA arch. rules). Wife requires relative to back the car out every single time due to her fear of hitting something.

My garage peeve is garages that stick waaaay out front of the house and require visitors to make a long trip to the front door. They are garages with house attached and ugly to me.

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

6,655 posts, read 8,176,014 times
Long ago people built homes they expected would survive "forever" or at least a hundred years. Today intact new builds would be lucky to outlast the 30 yr mortgage. By that time everything replaceable seems to need replacing. Roof, plumbing, kitchens and baths, sometimes flooring, often clading, exterior trimwork, windows, lighting, etc. It's the ikea style of building. So maybe the ugly houses will be somewhat improved, except their shape and rooflines will haunt us for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate