U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

3,891 posts, read 998,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are no alleys in our city, behind our homes are the backyards of other homes. I fail to understand the reason for some people to dislike garages in the front of the house, which are normal. I have lived in
7 cities in 2 states and have never seen a garage behind the house in an alley except when visiting Vancouver, B.C. and in a fairly new development that's considered an "urban village" in a nearby city.
Personally, I would prefer a detached 4 car garage with 12' roll-up doors.
On new construction homes on the verge of exurbia, there are planned communities, having all the space in the world at their disposal, who choose to have "alleys" out back. Effectively naming only every other street in the grid.

Example: Briar Chapel in Chapel Hill, NC: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...!4d-79.1013533
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

348 posts, read 75,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
While aesthetically the swing in side entry garage that we have is nice, it isn't functional. You have to back out and immediately turn vs. our old front facing garage where we simply backed up. I think if the garage is proportional (especially if it is within the house, vs. sticking out) front facing garages aren't that bad to me.
This all day. The garages that stick out are terrible looking. The ones flush with the house or on the side of a corner lot are fine.

Iím not a huge fan of alley entry bc itís somewhere dark for people to hide, and larger vehicles like mine canít fit down them so well and still maneuver into/out of the driveway with fences that go up to a few feet from the street. My parentsí house is like this so now I have to park in front ever since I got my passenger van. Itís fine, but if it was MY house, I would not be happy to no longer be able to park in my own driveway.

And up north, alleys are plowed last which means good luck getting out to go to work or wherever. At least you can shovel your own driveway to get out once the main roads are done if you arenít alley entry.

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaTownsley View Post
This all day. The garages that stick out are terrible looking. The ones flush with the house or on the side of a corner lot are fine.

Iím not a huge fan of alley entry bc itís somewhere dark for people to hide, and larger vehicles like mine canít fit down them so well and still maneuver into/out of the driveway with fences that go up to a few feet from the street. My parentsí house is like this so now I have to park in front ever since I got my passenger van. Itís fine, but if it was MY house, I would not be happy to no longer be able to park in my own driveway.

And up north, alleys are plowed last which means good luck getting out to go to work or wherever. At least you can shovel your own driveway to get out once the main roads are done if you arenít alley entry.
There is much less city alley entry down south, as in "city blocks with dark, creepy alleys". In the development referenced in my last post, you have streets lit just the same, only it's a row of 2-car garages instead of home fronts.

You pull your car into your garage, close the door behind you. The detached garage has a door which opens up to a walkway in your 6-ft-privacy-fenced-in back yard. You proceed to your back or side door, secured.

Look at this small neighborhood of concentric streets. Conifer Cir being home fronts, Conifer Park Ln serving the garages of those homes and the home fronts of the next ring of homes!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-84.3630771

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
There is much less city alley entry down south, as in "city blocks with dark, creepy alleys". In the development referenced in my last post, you have streets lit just the same, only it's a row of 2-car garages instead of home fronts.

You pull your car into your garage, close the door behind you. The detached garage has a door which opens up to a walkway in your 6-ft-privacy-fenced-in back yard. You proceed to your back or side door, secured.

Look at this small neighborhood of concentric streets. Conifer Cir being home fronts, Conifer Park Ln serving the garages of those homes and the home fronts of the next ring of homes!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-84.3630771
I do not like to go in my parentsí alley at night, thatís what I was referencing bc we never lived in a house with an alley when we were up north (or at all, so my parentsí house is my only direct experience). They live in a new community with upper middle class houses. Also with a passenger van, I donít fit in a garage bc I stand at 7í. My parentsí garage is attached but that wouldnít matter much to me considering I canít fit in there anyway.

My point is that itís not for everyone.

Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I do not like to go in my parentsí alley at night, thatís what I was referencing bc we never lived in a house with an alley when we were up north (or at all, so my parentsí house is my only direct experience). They live in a new community with upper middle class houses. Also with a passenger van, I donít fit in a garage bc I stand at 7í. My parentsí garage is attached but that wouldnít matter much to me considering I canít fit in there anyway.

My point is that itís not for everyone.
You're right these are probably also communities which prohibit any commercial vehicles being visible

Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

5,758 posts, read 8,867,213 times
I really like the exterior look of the inconspicuous consumption house. But it looks like they turned the basement garage into an apartment and that's probably the reason it's not selling. No garage.

No love for the next two Raleigh houses. The Charleston style neo plantation house is pretty if you have the ego to go along with it and don't mind evoking an earlier time when slavery was acceptable. Then again the castle house harks to a time when beheadings were acceptable...

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
You're right these are probably also communities which prohibit any commercial vehicles being visible
Itís not a commercial vehicle. Itís a passenger van bc we are about to add our fifth child and most minivans are not conducive to fitting more than four in car seats.

Sounds like a hoity toity place that i would want nothing to do with.

Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Itís not a commercial vehicle. Itís a passenger van bc we are about to add our fifth child and most minivans are not conducive to fitting more than four in car seats.

Sounds like a hoity toity place that i would want nothing to do with.
I'm not 100% on if that's actually true. But if it was, you'd know they'd be all over something like that.

There are a lot of transplants who have no concerns larger than their grass and who's walking on it.

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I really like the exterior look of the inconspicuous consumption house. But it looks like they turned the basement garage into an apartment and that's probably the reason it's not selling. No garage.

No love for the next two Raleigh houses. The Charleston style neo plantation house is pretty if you have the ego to go along with it and don't mind evoking an earlier time when slavery was acceptable. Then again the castle house harks to a time when beheadings were acceptable...
Watching a beheading through my triple-pane low-E glass castle window, can't even hear them scream!

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

5,648 posts, read 9,033,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
But, when they demolish a Seattle Victorian, they replace it with a big ugly box that just doesn't go at all with the neighborhood, and in many cases the developer buys and demolishes two or 3 homes and replaces them like this:
I kind of like the "Box" types homes. They have NO curb appeal BUT I contend that ALL homes are "Box" homes" with additional maintenance items tacked on to the exterior. You just end up in a box that has "bling" on the exterior. Since most people spend their time INSIDE a home should they spend additional maintenance money in order to maintain "curb appeal"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate