U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

650 posts, read 279,114 times

Advertisements

Seems like some of the newer designs are returning to mid-century modern styles. The thing is they appear to have far less individuality than their inspiration. I’ve seen some in the newer 55+ developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

3,890 posts, read 998,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I kind of like the "Box" types homes. They have NO curb appeal BUT I contend that ALL homes are "Box" homes" with additional maintenance items tacked on to the exterior. You just end up in a box that has "bling" on the exterior. Since most people spend their time INSIDE a home should they spend additional maintenance money in order to maintain "curb appeal"?
If they ever plan to sell it, yes.

I once was running some new fiber optic lines along a street in Raleigh with a lot of new construction. $850k's and up, off Dixie Trail. The plats I had for the dwellings made it look like it was a street of duplexes. Well, not anymore!

Each duplex was razed and those address numbers were no longer in existence. Each lot stood a brand new home, presumably bigger than the combined SF of the old structure. This is not the only example in Raleigh I've seen this happen. (Sasser St. and Virginia Ave., 27604)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/80...!4d-78.6264748

Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

351 posts, read 75,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'm not 100% on if that's actually true. But if it was, you'd know they'd be all over something like that.

There are a lot of transplants who have no concerns larger than their grass and who's walking on it.
Itís sad that they would disallow a person from parking their family vehicle in their driveway bc they canít fit in their garage. We would literally have to move. Another great reason to not deal with an HOA neighborhood. My kidsí safety comes first.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

7,246 posts, read 6,557,536 times
You get used to the space. My house had 1400 square foot upstairs and 1400 square foot basement. My apartment is 750 square feet and I can't imagine raising a family in that size.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

137 posts, read 51,165 times
We live in an area where most new homes being built are one story. Property is expensive, so the amount of property needed for a garage anywhere but in the front of the house is not economically feasible. We tried to find a resale when we started to look into moving here, but had some home features in mind and only new construction offered them. As for size, we are fairly moderate and prefer a home in the range of 2000-2200 square feet. Big enough to offer a little space and for most all the space to be used regularly - other than the guest bedroom (which I personally don't want to have in use constantly).

Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

3,400 posts, read 1,646,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Its is funny that the new developments are 4,000 sf but still being built as traditional styles, such as this one near us.

But, when they demolish a Seattle Victorian, they replace it with a big ugly box that just doesn't go at all with the neighborhood, and in many cases the developer buys and demolishes two or 3 homes and replaces them like this:
I certainly would not want a nice Victorian or couple replaced by your sample home picture ...... but I don't dislike it at all.

I think this dislike is overblown. Though less urban in general. It is nice to me.

I lived in Chicago in my past. Loved the housing stock there for a major city. Some think theses 1920s boom period areas are less urban. But were pre-suburban sprawl and became 1/3 of that city with 80,000 built in the city limits and 20,000 more in border suburbs.

The held up well a and stood the test of time in no one demolishes them.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9138...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9379...7i13312!8i6656

Its alleyway behind has the power-lines and poles with garages most chose hiding and shrinking back yards.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9380...7i16384!8i8192

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

20,942 posts, read 36,233,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaTownsley View Post
Itís not a commercial vehicle. Itís a passenger van bc we are about to add our fifth child and most minivans are not conducive to fitting more than four in car seats.

Sounds like a hoity toity place that i would want nothing to do with.
Passenger vans are certainly classified and often used as commercial vehicles, dependent on specs and design. I purposely avoid parking near any four door truck or large van in any parking lot due to not being able to see around them well at all...

Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,523,424 times
Our neighborhood of approximately 200 homes doesn't have a single front facing garage. It has never bothered me to get in or out. Our driveway is wide with plenty of space to back out and turn and then drive out facing forwards (instead of backing out into the street). It really adds to the curb appeal of the neighborhood in general.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM

18,773 posts, read 23,511,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmium View Post
It's become a trend in my neighborhood, where just about all of the houses were built in the 1940's/1950's and are small ranches around 800-1200 sq feet in size for old houses to be torn down and are replaced with these hideous, generic, over-sized two-floor new houses that are completely out of proportion for the streets they are on. Not only are they ugly, they tower over the old houses and block all the sunlight and view.

In my opinion these new giant houses just seem cheap and tasteless. Just about every single new house I've seen built are one of these as well. Does no one want a modest, reasonably sized house anymore? Maybe it's because I've lived in a 800 sq foot house all my life but I simply don't understand what one is doing with all of that space. It seems ridiculous to me to be living in a 2500-3000 sq ft house if you're just a four-member family or less like the majority are around here.

This is obviously subjective, state your opinions about the new houses that have appeared in your neighborhoods and what you think about them.
You have my sympathy. I'd move. They are ruining the character of your neighborhood.

I see very few attractive or well constructed homes out there. I prefer a house that has character. has been well cared for over the years and is not huge.

Actually, I like those late 40s to mid 50s ranches that you speak of. Very solid. Usually hard wood floors. Some brick. Usually a finished basement.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM

9,036 posts, read 8,239,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
...and when did it become "fashionable" to face the garage toward the street?

Or is it just less costly to build in that manner?
Inn much of the country right after WWII, when they did away with alleys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate