U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 06:45 AM

5,345 posts, read 5,270,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Because garages belong in the back on the alley.
There are practically zero alleys where I live.

Where I live, if you even have a garage, it is either garage in the front (very short distance between the street and the garage itself) or tiny shared driveway to a separate tiny garage in the back. There are a few blocks that have a shared driveway leading to garages which means they have no backyard, which is even worse IMO. There are houses that have private driveways but then the house is probably 1.5 million+. (Not that the ones described above are necessarily any cheaper and heck they might not even have a garage at all.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 07:18 AM

119 posts, read 37,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We raised our children in a 100 y/o home with only one bathroom upstairs with the bedrooms. It was a major drawback when it came time sell. Buyers all wanted a master bedroom ensuite bathroom as well as a "powder room" on the main floor.

It was a comfortable home with a sunporch, fireplace, full basement, ... and lots of complaints because we didn't have walk-in closets.

We had a detached garage. Folks wanted an attached garage.

Yep it's getting difficult to sell the older homes b/c everyone seems to be completely unable to function without those things . Good grief....we spent nearly 14 yrs in a 1600 sq ft trilevel with only 1 (giant) bathroom. We were a family of 6 the last 4 years before we sold it too...a bit cramped but we made it work. More bathrooms and sq footage just means more to clean...our new house is older and has more space (which we really like) but I do miss having less to keep tidy!

Old 08-31-2019, 07:36 AM

2,003 posts, read 649,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmium View Post
It's become a trend in my neighborhood, where just about all of the houses were built in the 1940's/1950's and are small ranches around 800-1200 sq feet in size for old houses to be torn down and are replaced with these hideous, generic, over-sized two-floor new houses that are completely out of proportion for the streets they are on. Not only are they ugly, they tower over the old houses and block all the sunlight and view.

In my opinion these new giant houses just seem cheap and tasteless. Just about every single new house I've seen built are one of these as well. Does no one want a modest, reasonably sized house anymore? Maybe it's because I've lived in a 800 sq foot house all my life but I simply don't understand what one is doing with all of that space. It seems ridiculous to me to be living in a 2500-3000 sq ft house if you're just a four-member family or less like the majority are around here.

This is obviously subjective, state your opinions about the new houses that have appeared in your neighborhoods and what you think about them.
I heard one builder refer to what you're describing as “five over four plus a door”, in other words, two stories, 5 windows up top over 4 windows and a door on the first floor. It’s pretty boring from the outside. Around here, many of these homes have basements but the builders don’t want to dig down as much as it takes to make the home hug the terrain, so they do tend to loom over the street.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:22 AM

522 posts, read 275,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
...and when did it become "fashionable" to face the garage toward the street?

Or is it just less costly to build in that manner?
This is one of the things that bother me about the newer house styles. They end up looking like a garage with a house sort of attached. The garage takes the front and center and catches the eye more than the house.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:26 AM

3,207 posts, read 3,277,510 times
We had a developer plan a subdivision with alleys, a mix of duplexes, SFH, front and rear garages. He liked it, his investors liked it, our local planning commission liked it. Then the state changed the storm water management regulations. Impervious surface became a bad word. By the time the developer redesigned the development to meet the new regs we had all SFHs with front loading garages on streets that were made narrower (So there is now only parking on one side of most). There are fairly large back yards but most are considered part of the storm water management plan and have limitations on what can be built in them.

I was on the Planning Commission when it started everyone was very happy with the mix of designs and how they fit in with the town. The development is just completing build out (just under 100 units) and there are already complaints about lack of parking, narrow streets and blandness of the streetscape.

So the frontloading garages and other features are sometimes the only way that regulations from above can be met and produce houses in anything approaching a reasonable price range.

Our problem is not larger passenger vans. It is extended bed quad cab pickups, especially 4 wheel drive and ones with dual rear wheels (meant for pulling trailors) They have become the ego vehicles along with full size SUVs.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:43 AM

10,728 posts, read 5,057,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Because garages belong in the back on the alley.
In what century?

Old 08-31-2019, 08:48 AM

909 posts, read 490,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not to mention that if you live in a snowy region those convoluted driveways and garage entrances make it more likely that someone will hit something every so often...and it won't be cheap or located inside the garage.
Yep. Much easier to clear a straight driveway.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:18 AM

17,613 posts, read 21,493,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I would never own new construction. Not only are most hideous and cookie cutter, they are flimsily built. Unless you hire an architect and custom design build firm to bring your vision to life, new construction in the US is an eyesore.
If I were to go single family home again, or even townhouse, I'd only buy a structure built before 1975. I'm adamant about it! Even now I'm living in a 1969 mobile home, that was considered a luxury mobile home at the time, with all kinds of built-ins. My neighbor had her old mobile removed, and put in a brand new one, which has no built-ins! I don't even need a chest of drawers in my bedroom.

The problem with these houses with the 2-3 car garages facing the street, is it doesn't allow for much of a porch in front, and it's usually set back too far. I demand a big front porch to my house, like the 1939 home I once owned in Phoenix.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:54 AM

21,465 posts, read 12,097,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
At least that is what the developers would have you believe. They can certainly build more houses (they call them "homes") on postage stamp sized lots than houses on decent sized lots that people can choose to utilize as they wish, but the profitability is different. High density housing is not for everyone.
Oh wow, thanks for explaining to me that I'm too stupid to understand the lifestyle and neighborhood type I prefer and I've just been mislead by developers. If only I had a larger lot so that I would be forced to spend time I don't want to spend on outside maintenance instead of walking over to the park a block away from my house and getting to enjoy that instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I would say that began around the 1940's when many houses began to be created with attached garages. Before that garages also faced the street but were often at the back of the yard and accessed by a long driveway from the street, past the house and into the backyard. It is the rare area where front facing garages are not prevalent.

Let's face it, cars come from the street to the garage so the most efficient layout is to have the garage face the street.
Completely ridiculous. Turning down my alley to pull into the garage is exactly the same thing as turning down a street and pulling into a garage that faces the street. Except of course that it's a whole lot uglier that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I live in a community where most homes have alley garages, big front porches. Its beautiful and people do sit outside, they get to know their neighbors, its very friendly here. I live on a street with custom homes we had to have driveways out front because behind us is the Golf course. If I could have I would have put a garage out back. But I do love the fact I live in this amazing community.
This is what my neighborhood is like. People are out and about all the time - kids playing and riding bikes, people sitting on their porch, or out walking their dogs or pushing a stroller and taking the time to stop and chat with a neighbor. It's explicitly why people choose this neighborhood - a planned urban community - to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
In what century?
The 21st century. A nice change from 20th century snout houses

Old 08-31-2019, 10:05 AM

14,163 posts, read 20,661,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
In what century?
Well, our lot was platted in the 19th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate