Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 10:52 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I don’t get all the new construction hate. 2x6 framing, Joists that will never sag, pex pipe that won’t get pinholes like copper and pvc that will never leak. You get walk in closets, larger kitchen and bathrooms. I lived in a mid 50s house, I would never own a old home again. People say it won’t last 100 years who cares. It probably will since most products are engineered now and stronger than a standard 2x8 since they don’t have to be sistered and you can run a span 40+ ft.
Not to mention ZIP systems that have actual R Value. Houses are practically airtight. My house now (economy build, 1988) has 8” of joist in the crawl space to insulate. I’d like to have more room if I am in the market for a house again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 11:34 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Side entry if your lot is wide enough.
According to the pic shown, the lot is not even close to being wide enough.

I am sure if there was room, many would have some sort of different design, but, most houses are constrained by lot size because land is limited, and people buying houses are limited in what they can afford.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:58 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I don’t get all the new construction hate. 2x6 framing, Joists that will never sag, pex pipe that won’t get pinholes like copper and pvc that will never leak. You get walk in closets, larger kitchen and bathrooms. I lived in a mid 50s house, I would never own a old home again. People say it won’t last 100 years who cares. It probably will since most products are engineered now and stronger than a standard 2x8 since they don’t have to be sistered and you can run a span 40+ ft.
New construction sure has the potential to be the bestest strongest construction ever. Code is higher than ever, we know more than ever, we have plenty of technology and power tools and money to afford the best. And there are a lot of good homes being built. But the truth is, there's just also a lot of homes that aren't better. We walk through brand new homes all the time with squeaky floors, outlets that are loose in the sockets, floor trim that is not real wood and will not hold up to floor mopping. Composites and engineered fake products made in China that just haven't been recalled yet.

Pick through a pile of 2x6s at any hardware store and it's hard to find a board in the load that isn't warped, cracked, or full of knots... That's what new homes are made of, and they're delivered by the pallet, not carefully picked through. They are NOT the same quality they were with old US sawmills cutting good quality mature old growth timber. Back when a 2x6 was actually 2x6.

Alternately, if you walk through a 1950s home that is still in nice shape, I'd say it has proved itself. It has stood the test of time. New construction, we need to be skeptical of because it may look real pretty now but it has not had time yet, to be tested. Check back in 10 years.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:47 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
New construction sure has the potential to be the bestest strongest construction ever. Code is higher than ever, we know more than ever, we have plenty of technology and power tools and money to afford the best. And there are a lot of good homes being built. But the truth is, there's just also a lot of homes that aren't better. We walk through brand new homes all the time with squeaky floors, outlets that are loose in the sockets, floor trim that is not real wood and will not hold up to floor mopping. Composites and engineered fake products made in China that just haven't been recalled yet.

Pick through a pile of 2x6s at any hardware store and it's hard to find a board in the load that isn't warped, cracked, or full of knots... That's what new homes are made of, and they're delivered by the pallet, not carefully picked through. They are NOT the same quality they were with old US sawmills cutting good quality mature old growth timber. Back when a 2x6 was actually 2x6.

Alternately, if you walk through a 1950s home that is still in nice shape, I'd say it has proved itself. It has stood the test of time. New construction, we need to be skeptical of because it may look real pretty now but it has not had time yet, to be tested. Check back in 10 years.

Nicely said. I know we disagree on a lot but you hit the nail on the head with this one. Pun intended.

Whatever your aesthetic preferences, at least 95% of new construction is absolute trash build wise. Yes there is a small percentage of actual crafts-level builders out there (5%is generous) who care about every detail. You pay a premium for this . The average suburban community, even your gated golf course communities in many places are definitely not in this class. People don't understand how shoddy most new construction is.

We have a million dollar spec house being put up on a lot near me. It's nonsense. It's literally glued together by laborers who don't care about whether or not it falls apart in ten years. I'm sure someone will be impressed by the high end finishes they put in the kitchen but the build quality is disposable. Consumers by and large don't understand what they are getting.

Give me an old house any day.

Last edited by emotiioo; 09-01-2019 at 01:47 PM..

Old 09-01-2019, 02:25 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
You know there are building codes now-a-days so that half of the new building aren’t destroyed in a good wind.
https://www.iccsafe.org/about/overvi...ode-adoptions/
Where do you live?

They mean nothing. Go walk through some of these new houses. Buy one if you want. They are a joke. Remember Chinese drywall? Still using it. Aluminum wiring? Yup! They build them fast and make money. I see it all the time.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:30 PM

1,159 posts, read 619,124 times
Give me an old cape cod or ranch style rambler ... I really dislike new houses. I even consider a house new if it was built after 1984. Truly.
I like houses with style. Brick. Sturdy with basements.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:32 PM

1,159 posts, read 619,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Yes exactly! I trust older homes way more.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
I don't understand those who think side entrance garages are more difficult to get out of. It's certainly safer to enter the street headfirst rather than backing into it.

I'm another who doesn't like to see houses where the garage dominates the front.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:21 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Nicely said. I know we disagree on a lot but you hit the nail on the head with this one. Pun intended.

Whatever your aesthetic preferences, at least 95% of new construction is absolute trash build wise. Yes there is a small percentage of actual crafts-level builders out there (5%is generous) who care about every detail. You pay a premium for this . The average suburban community, even your gated golf course communities in many places are definitely not in this class. People don't understand how shoddy most new construction is.

We have a million dollar spec house being put up on a lot near me. It's nonsense. It's literally glued together by laborers who don't care about whether or not it falls apart in ten years. I'm sure someone will be impressed by the high end finishes they put in the kitchen but the build quality is disposable. Consumers by and large don't understand what they are getting.

Give me an old house any day.
I would agree that the typical production house, while able to take advantage of some new building elements and design as to structure, systems and efficiency, are nonetheless mostly shoddily assembled by limited skilled laborers, regardless if it’s a $150k starter or a $1.5M “executive” house. The only difference is in the size, room count, finishes and often the complexity of roof design or fenestration. But between what most of the RE public desire, what we need, what is available and what we can afford, that’s the product that is out there for the last 40 years or so that’s what we choose from. If you desire a newer custom or semi-custom house with superior design and construction you are going to have to pay for it.

Development costs are so high these days that is why you get small lots, front loading garages and multi-level homes on them because that’s the only product that will pencil out in many markets. Most of us have our own preferences but have pretty well figured out life is a series of compromises and RE is no different.

I get why most folks have pretty much made it mandatory for a house to have a newer, open concept, 3-4br, 2-3ba and at least a 2-3 bay garage. That’s what fits most family’s, or at least close enough, lifestyles these days and most are willing to compromise a bit on the quality and design to get there within their budget also knowing that that typically should represents a good resale proposition. And so that’s the product that gets built.

But I’m like you and more than a few others. The compromises inherent in my 92 y.o. streetcar suburb house: no master suite, smaller rooms, closets, garage, lot etc. are far outweighed for us by its beautiful architecture, traditional layout, solid construction and well crafted finishes in an established neighborhood with similar homes and mature landscaping. It works for us but I understand why it wouldn’t for plenty of other families with different preferences and needs.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:25 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I don't understand those who think side entrance garages are more difficult to get out of. It's certainly safer to enter the street headfirst rather than backing into it.

IF there's room to do turn and head out. Not always the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate