Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 06:07 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Check this out, OP. This is currently happening in my little hamlet.

Billionaire local politician bought a 9,700 sq ft, 100 year old mansion for $2.6M and tore it down 5 months later.

https://fox6now.com/2019/05/30/chris...front-mansion/

The new hosue, a 17,000 sq ft monstrosity. I'm more upset about what it's going to look like from the lake.

https://patch.com/wisconsin/shorewoo...sion-shorewood

The lot is currently empty. The house was torn down a month or so ago and construction has not begun on the new house.
That's repulsive. Seriously. Buy a lot and build new. That old house was lovely. The new one looks the the shopping center where I get my hair done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 06:43 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Disposable architecture is inherent in suburban sprawl.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:47 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
New houses tend to be overstyled. I like very sleek midcentury houses, but it varies by region. I find that east of the Rockies, houses tend to be kinda ugly generally.

So really, I’m just a product of growing up in a certain place with a certain architecture.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
That's repulsive. Seriously. Buy a lot and build new. That old house was lovely. The new one looks the the shopping center where I get my hair done.
Maybe there are no new lots on the lake to build new.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
It cracks me up when the real estate TV shows call a 1400 sf house "small."
That's a 3/2, big enough for a family of six! Well, that might be a bit tight, but it's more than ample for two.

A woman I know was boasting about downsizing to a 4000 sf house. There are just two of them, what do they need all that space for?

Old 09-04-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It cracks me up when the real estate TV shows call a 1400 sf house "small."
That's a 3/2, big enough for a family of six! Well, that might be a bit tight, but it's more than ample for two.

A woman I know was boasting about downsizing to a 4000 sf house. There are just two of them, what do they need all that space for?
To hoard all the crap they buy. Huge food from warehouse stores. Clothing they wont wear. Gadgets. TVs in every room. Those gawdawful sign art things directing you to "laugh often love much." All the fixings for hobbies they pay lipservice to.

Humans and goldfish will grow to fit whatever size bowl they are in.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:53 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
To hoard all the crap they buy. Huge food from warehouse stores. Clothing they wont wear. Gadgets. TVs in every room. Those gawdawful sign art things directing you to "laugh often love much." All the fixings for hobbies they pay lipservice to.

Humans and goldfish will grow to fit whatever size bowl they are in.
It’s THEIR money, so they can buy whatever “crap” they want. Is it coming out of your pocket? I personally will not live in a house under 2500 sf., and it’s just my wife and I. We work hard to live where we live.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
It’s THEIR money, so they can buy whatever “crap” they want. Is it coming out of your pocket? I personally will not live in a house under 2500 sf., and it’s just my wife and I. We work hard to live where we live.
Oooh. Hit a nerve!

Old 09-04-2019, 06:47 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaTownsley View Post
I used to live on Newton. This is horrible. I absolutely love all the houses in that area with the exception of the newer construction behemoths on Lake Dr. This in particular will look terrible from the lake.
There's a particularly ugly new build (white faux farmhouse) on the corner of Lake Dr where it turns into Silver Spring in WFB. And it's set weird on the lot making it worse.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:50 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
New houses tend to be overstyled. I like very sleek midcentury houses, but it varies by region. I find that east of the Rockies, houses tend to be kinda ugly generally.

So really, I’m just a product of growing up in a certain place with a certain architecture.
I used to live in Montana and we've been asked to move back on more than one occasion. I was just looking at real estate in Missoula the other day and told my husband I just can't handle the house styles there. They're all faux cabin-y. Every single house has birch cabinets, log furniture, prow walls, and mismatched stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate