U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 09:12 PM

3,896 posts, read 2,680,948 times

Advertisements

I've been both the Realtor who has been ditched by a buyer who then bought using another agent.....and the Realtor who picked up a buyer and closed a deal with them after they had previously been working with another agent with whom they didn't jive. Multiple times for each of these scenarios all in less than two years.

Just be honest. The only time I was truly upset when getting "dumped" by a buyer was when said buyer, with whom I had been working for over a month, straight-up lied and said they couldn't make a showing we had planned for a house because of a work emergency so I went anyways to preview it for them....and they were there with another agent.

Those buyers later bought in a dual-agency situation (not with the same agent for whom the stood me up) and overpaid by about 10k based on comps.

It sounds like you are a kind and smart person so I don't think you would be that type of buyer; but still my recommendation would always be to just be honest and up-front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 09:32 PM

5,318 posts, read 2,031,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
An agent showing a property to a buyer does not necessarily give them a "procuring cause" right to a commission if that buyer ends up going thru another agent.

Procuring cause is more complicated than that.
Agents need to show that they initiated an unbroken chain of events that resulted in the deal between the buyer and the seller. Generally, the law requires more than simply showing the property to the buyer. The broker or salesperson must have ignited an interest in the buyer that ultimately led to the actual purchase, which could include a number of factors.

If the original poster wants to drop the current agent to find another that is a better fit, the best thing to do is to call the agent but to also follow up with an email stating the main points of the conversation as to why the OP is ending contact with the original agent. That way the OP's new agent should not have issues with procuring cause down the line because the buyer broke the chain of events with the original agent and there's written proof of it.
I know that. That's why I said "IF" the agent is the procuring cause - IF - I was trying to alert the OP to a factor to consider.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:00 PM

407 posts, read 303,359 times
It becomes very complicated especially in a small town where realtors know each other.

I had a not so good experience recently. I wanted to look for a house in another state due to upcoming relocation and was searching for realtors. Just like anybody, I read about few realtors and shortlisted 3 of them. I planned to meet 2 of them on 2 consecutive days since I was driving to the town 5 hrs away. When I met the first realtor, she met us nicely and we exchanged greetings. Since we had spoken to her 2 days before, she had come prepared to show us 3 homes which we saw with her. Obviously we were evaluating her the whole time.
The next day I met the second realtor, again with the intention of evaluating her if she would be a good fit for us. The second realtor was also prepared to see us and showed us 3 homes. We liked her more than the first realtor. So now we went ahead and saw 3 homes each with both the realtors.
Many people in the forum will object to seeing home with a realtor unless we are committing to the realtor, but I contend that unless we see home with the realtor, its difficult to assess the realtor in terms of knowledge, thoughts and attitudes.

We liked one home we saw with the second realtor and put in an offer. The offer price was not accepted by the seller. Just 2 days later, I got a call from the first realtor asking me why I met the other realtor. It seems both the realtors met at a realtors party and must have talked about a client like me relocating to the city and realized I saw both of them. I was in a dilemma what to say and I told her frankly that I was meeting both of them for the first time since I was visiting the city from out of state. This first realtor advised me that I shouldn't have done this since it was a small town. In the meantime, the second realtor stopped communication with me all together not taking my phone calls or properly responding to my e mails. So now I was in a situation where my first offer was rejected on a house we liked and my realtor who showed the house was not interested in working with me. Hence, I asked the first realtor to show me that house again to evaluate if I want to give higher offer. She kept lingering on it without giving any reason. Ultimately we lost the house.

hence, it can be tricky especially when realtors start owning you as a client right with 1-2 meetings. I hated this attitude of realtors in a so called "small town".

Old 09-01-2019, 05:14 AM

366 posts, read 85,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
It becomes very complicated especially in a small town where realtors know each other.

I had a not so good experience recently. I wanted to look for a house in another state due to upcoming relocation and was searching for realtors. Just like anybody, I read about few realtors and shortlisted 3 of them. I planned to meet 2 of them on 2 consecutive days since I was driving to the town 5 hrs away. When I met the first realtor, she met us nicely and we exchanged greetings. Since we had spoken to her 2 days before, she had come prepared to show us 3 homes which we saw with her. Obviously we were evaluating her the whole time.
The next day I met the second realtor, again with the intention of evaluating her if she would be a good fit for us. The second realtor was also prepared to see us and showed us 3 homes. We liked her more than the first realtor. So now we went ahead and saw 3 homes each with both the realtors.
Many people in the forum will object to seeing home with a realtor unless we are committing to the realtor, but I contend that unless we see home with the realtor, its difficult to assess the realtor in terms of knowledge, thoughts and attitudes.

We liked one home we saw with the second realtor and put in an offer. The offer price was not accepted by the seller. Just 2 days later, I got a call from the first realtor asking me why I met the other realtor. It seems both the realtors met at a realtors party and must have talked about a client like me relocating to the city and realized I saw both of them. I was in a dilemma what to say and I told her frankly that I was meeting both of them for the first time since I was visiting the city from out of state. This first realtor advised me that I shouldn't have done this since it was a small town. In the meantime, the second realtor stopped communication with me all together not taking my phone calls or properly responding to my e mails. So now I was in a situation where my first offer was rejected on a house we liked and my realtor who showed the house was not interested in working with me. Hence, I asked the first realtor to show me that house again to evaluate if I want to give higher offer. She kept lingering on it without giving any reason. Ultimately we lost the house.

hence, it can be tricky especially when realtors start owning you as a client right with 1-2 meetings. I hated this attitude of realtors in a so called "small town".
I wouldnít work with a customer again if I knew they were working with someone else. Thatís basically asking them to work for you for free and having only half the chance to be the one who gets the commission in the end and possibly getting sued by the other brokerage who didnít get the commission. I would suggest being up front when first meeting them and saying you are meeting with another agent the next day to see who you mesh with better. Then itís no surprise if you donít make contact again. But really it would be best to let them both know and then let them both know your decision. I can see how buyers just do not understand that it can get messy since they arenít agents and donít know the laws and ethics of agency.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:23 AM

I agree with you if the customer has been meeting different realtors few times. But the customers should not be obliged to hook on to the realtor after first meeting. An educated customer, who knows quite a lot about real estate wants to filter out his realtor before finalizing one. One cannot judge a realtor unless he/ she shows at least a couple of houses.

Believe me.. you may be a knowledgeable realtor, but I have met enough dumb realtors that I had to surprise them with my greater knowledge about things than them. And I hate realtors who pride in working for many years and then fumble on basic things...eg showing me that the floor is tile when actually it is vinyl, or when I mentioned I prefer gas heating, she comes back to me.."Oh no, this house has electric cooling and you dont want it.." (she needs to know that most AC cooling is electric, its the heating fuel which differs). And I had to correct her and then she says "Oh..I didnt realize that most cooiing is electric"
Just after first meeting, a realtor cannot lay his territorial rights. Especially in my case when everything happened within a week and I never had a second chance to talk or meet any of the 2 realtors till the first realtor called me back. Also, the second realtor didnt want to work with me when she came to know I met other realtor first, however, she was the one who had put in an offer for us on the house, so she should have realized that we preferred her over the other, or else she should have clarified with me, instead she chose not to respond.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:58 AM

469 posts, read 179,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
Just after first meeting, a realtor cannot lay his territorial rights. Especially in my case when everything happened within a week and I never had a second chance to talk or meet any of the 2 realtors till the first realtor called me back. Also, the second realtor didnt want to work with me when she came to know I met other realtor first, however, she was the one who had put in an offer for us on the house, so she should have realized that we preferred her over the other, or else she should have clarified with me, instead she chose not to respond.
Wow, interesting. I've lived in couple small towns but never quite that small.

You dodged a bullet in both realtors it seems since realtor#2 was obviously not self-confident enough to stand up to realtor#1 (my assumption is realtor#1 bullied them into stepping down). If realtor#2 can't stand up to realtor#1 they certainly can't stand up to a listing agent and make the best deal for the buyer (you).

There is a lot behind the scenes we buyers are not privy to in regards to who is Queen Bee (or thinks she is). One fact I have learned is that besides our liking our agent it's also important than other agents can work well with the agent we chose (whether listing or buying). If an agent does not play well with others then we are losing opportunities due to that.

In past purchases we've had listing agents completely ignore our written offer to purchase, not due to our agent (we think) but because they wanted double the commission of the sale (dual agency). Sometimes the right agent IS the listing agent if the price and the property is right, even if we don't like them.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:03 AM

7,783 posts, read 18,827,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I could get "dicey" if the OP made an offer on a home that the fired Realtor showed them.
Agreed. Just because it isn't in writing does not mean it is ethical.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:16 AM

10,954 posts, read 29,582,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Agreed. Just because it isn't in writing does not mean it is ethical.
No, there is nothing ďdiceyĒ about it. See post #12. The buyers and sellers have nothing to concern themselves with here.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:20 AM

3,385 posts, read 6,234,189 times
I do agree that the buyer and seller don't need to be concerned, it only gets "dicey" between the different brokerage offices/agents.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Wow, interesting. I've lived in couple small towns but never quite that small.

You dodged a bullet in both realtors it seems since realtor#2 was obviously not self-confident enough to stand up to realtor#1 (my assumption is realtor#1 bullied them into stepping down). If realtor#2 can't stand up to realtor#1 they certainly can't stand up to a listing agent and make the best deal for the buyer (you).

There is a lot behind the scenes we buyers are not privy to in regards to who is Queen Bee (or thinks she is). One fact I have learned is that besides our liking our agent it's also important than other agents can work well with the agent we chose (whether listing or buying). If an agent does not play well with others then we are losing opportunities due to that.

In past purchases we've had listing agents completely ignore our written offer to purchase, not due to our agent (we think) but because they wanted double the commission of the sale (dual agency). Sometimes the right agent IS the listing agent if the price and the property is right, even if we don't like them.
Yes.. but we lost the home.. and still fell bad about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate