U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

9,139 posts, read 18,214,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Aa a realtor i would prefer a buyer tell me "x" I really appreciate the time you took sending me listings and showing me homes, but i just don't feel like we click, and am going to take a break from looking, and probably try out another realtor. I feel like i need "x" to be comfortable with making a purchase of my next home. Obviously, if i choose a home you found and showed us, i would use you to complete the sale. (Surely you would...i hope). I don't want there to be hard feelings, and i wanted to let you know rather than just disappearing."
I like this advice. If I were the agent not meeting expectations, I'd like to know just so I can try to do better in the future. I'd be grateful for the call because I hate when I get ghosted. I think everyone hates being ghosted. Not everyone is the same so you may get a negative reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

5,781 posts, read 1,457,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I could get "dicey" if the OP made an offer on a home that the fired Realtor showed them.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
It becomes very complicated especially in a small town where realtors know each other.

I had a not so good experience recently. I wanted to look for a house in another state due to upcoming relocation and was searching for realtors. Just like anybody, I read about few realtors and shortlisted 3 of them. I planned to meet 2 of them on 2 consecutive days since I was driving to the town 5 hrs away. When I met the first realtor, she met us nicely and we exchanged greetings. Since we had spoken to her 2 days before, she had come prepared to show us 3 homes which we saw with her. Obviously we were evaluating her the whole time.
The next day I met the second realtor, again with the intention of evaluating her if she would be a good fit for us. The second realtor was also prepared to see us and showed us 3 homes. We liked her more than the first realtor. So now we went ahead and saw 3 homes each with both the realtors.
Many people in the forum will object to seeing home with a realtor unless we are committing to the realtor, but I contend that unless we see home with the realtor, its difficult to assess the realtor in terms of knowledge, thoughts and attitudes.

We liked one home we saw with the second realtor and put in an offer. The offer price was not accepted by the seller. Just 2 days later, I got a call from the first realtor asking me why I met the other realtor. It seems both the realtors met at a realtors party and must have talked about a client like me relocating to the city and realized I saw both of them. I was in a dilemma what to say and I told her frankly that I was meeting both of them for the first time since I was visiting the city from out of state. This first realtor advised me that I shouldn't have done this since it was a small town. In the meantime, the second realtor stopped communication with me all together not taking my phone calls or properly responding to my e mails. So now I was in a situation where my first offer was rejected on a house we liked and my realtor who showed the house was not interested in working with me. Hence, I asked the first realtor to show me that house again to evaluate if I want to give higher offer. She kept lingering on it without giving any reason. Ultimately we lost the house.

hence, it can be tricky especially when realtors start owning you as a client right with 1-2 meetings. I hated this attitude of realtors in a so called "small town".
I think they have a lot of nerve telling you that you did something wrong. I don't think you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Dear Consumers,

Be honest that you are interviewing agents. That way when the small-town agents run into each other, they will realize the other agent was one you interviewed. No drama then because you were honest and upfront that you were interviewing agents. You are entitled to interview agents on a large financial purchase. Don't slink around. If the agent can't handle that you are interviewing others, then run away from that agent.

You may indeed look at a home with a different agent. Do not listen to people online that tell you to worry about procuring cause (not your concern), or that it is unethical to switch to a different agent and go look at the same house. You are making a large financial purchase. If you did not think your first agent added value when they showed you homes, please interview more agents and go back to those same homes. Agents need to add value to your purchase. Don't be apologetic about wanting a different agent that is a better fit for you or has more knowledge than your first go around.

Procuring cause is an unbroken chain of events leading to the sale of the property. Just showing a home is not procuring cause. Just sending someone a listing is not procuring cause. While states define it differently, the minute a new agent shows you that same home and you write an offer with that second agent, the chain was broken with the first agent. If you are in Oregon, you have to close escrow to be the procuring cause so we don't have those disputes here. They get that you might not know your agent is bad until you are in negotiations. Do not be manipulated into sticking with an agent you don't like because of procuring cause. Procuring cause is between agents paying each other and has nothing to do with you. NAR has an entire arbitration worksheet and you can see it is a long and thorough list of events that lead to a buyer purchasing a property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is irresponsible advice. Are you an attorney? Are you licensed to practice law in every state?

Buyers: Find a buyer's agent you like and stick with them. I personally would not sign any agreement with a buyer's agent (I don't think it is necessary and could put you on the hook for commissions in a dispute). Just find someone you trust and work with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Go look for another agent. Simply tell her you’re not interested in working with her any longer. We’re all adults. Should be able to take the rejection. Hey I had agents I didn’t like. I ended our relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I like this advice. If I were the agent not meeting expectations, I'd like to know just so I can try to do better in the future. I'd be grateful for the call because I hate when I get ghosted. I think everyone hates being ghosted. Not everyone is the same so you may get a negative reaction.
In reading thought this thread, it seems to me the buyer can never win.

As you know, I hired an inexperienced agent to show me a house. Long story. Won't bore you. But I tried to tactfully ask her to step aside so I could hire someone more experienced because this deal was going to be hard. (way overpriced house). She was going to and then her MB got involved and no doubt told her not to. My husband stupidly signed that buyer's agreement putting us on the hook for 1.5 years. I wanted to honor the agreement and give her a chance, especially since I knew it would take the seller a long time to 'come to Jesus' about the price (they still never did). She ran out the clock and didn't get anywhere. So it's often a no win even when you are trying to do the right thing. And the agents involved in OP's situation were both unprofessional as far as I am concerned.

Old Today, 05:21 AM

33,936 posts, read 58,981,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Agree.

I think they have a lot of nerve telling you that you did something wrong. I don't think you did.

In reading thought this thread, it seems to me the buyer can never win.

As you know, I hired an inexperienced agent to show me a house. Long story. Won't bore you. But I tried to tactfully ask her to step aside so I could hire someone more experienced because this deal was going to be hard. (way overpriced house). She was going to and then her MB got involved and no doubt told her not to. My husband stupidly signed that buyer's agreement putting us on the hook for 1.5 years. I wanted to honor the agreement and give her a chance, especially since I knew it would take the seller a long time to 'come to Jesus' about the price (they still never did). She ran out the clock and didn't get anywhere. So it's often a no win even when you are trying to do the right thing. And the agents involved in OP's situation were both unprofessional as far as I am concerned.
1.5 years?
Wow. I like the NC rules that the contract cannot exceed 1 year.
Even at that, my buyer clients and I always have the right to terminate the agreement at any time before we find the house they want to make an offer on.

"Buyers can never win?" Good agents help make winners out of buyers.

Old Today, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1.5 years?
Wow. I like the NC rules that the contract cannot exceed 1 year.
Even at that, my buyer clients and I always have the right to terminate the agreement at any time before we find the house they want to make an offer on.

"Buyers can never win?" Good agents help make winners out of buyers.
The contract was for one year. The contract said if we bought anything she showed us during the year (which we saw about 3 months in), we owed her a commission up to 6 months after the contract expired. Around 6 months in, I tried to get her to agree to step aside. She was seemingly willing to do it. And then she called back and had a completely different tune and I feel pretty sure her MB told her not to.

Old Today, 06:33 AM

33,936 posts, read 58,981,115 times
Quote:
The contract was for one year. The contract said if we bought anything she showed us during the year (which we saw about 3 months in), we owed her a commission up to 6 months after the contract expired. Around 6 months in, I tried to get her to agree to step aside. She was seemingly willing to do it. And then she called back and had a completely different tune and I feel pretty sure her MB told her not to.

Got it.
Get it in writing next time that you can unilaterally cancel without explanation.

Old Today, 08:26 AM

9,828 posts, read 7,440,051 times
Quote:

well, your HUSBAND was under agency with her/firm, you were not.

once you made an offer (months later), and both signed it, then I'm sure you also signed on to that agency.

you may wish to check your Buyer Agency agreement as well, to see if your signing a new AGency with someone else negates that protection period.

by the way, I'm surprised it's 6 months. When you DO speak with another agent, I'd ask them what the "standard" is. I'd say 60-90 days is more common.

Old Today, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, your HUSBAND was under agency with her/firm, you were not.

once you made an offer (months later), and both signed it, then I'm sure you also signed on to that agency.

you may wish to check your Buyer Agency agreement as well, to see if your signing a new AGency with someone else negates that protection period.

by the way, I'm surprised it's 6 months. When you DO speak with another agent, I'd ask them what the "standard" is. I'd say 60-90 days is more common.
The realtor I am talking to now says she doesn't use buyer's agreements at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate