U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 05:37 AM

88 posts, read 23,541 times

Advertisements

14 year old home, only trees are in back of half acre property. Pest inspector allegedly found 2 carpenter ants on front porch base of columns. None found on rear deck, anywhere else in home. So we want to hire our own pest consultant. We plan to not tell the pest consultant that we had a home inspection done, instead we will say we saw a ant crawl in to the base of the columns and are concerned. So here is the question, we have 4 homes prior to our current home if 10 years and never had inspections indicating carpenter ants. IF our pest control expert determines that there are in fact carpenter ants in the wood at base of columns, can carpenter ant remediation be confined to just porch? Anyone know how costly carpenter ant treatment would be just in limited area OR would entire home typically need to be treated? We do a lot of work in front in that area and never saw sawdust or any other evidence. Thank you very much in advance!😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 06:00 AM

33,928 posts, read 58,955,966 times
I would flat out tell my own guy that there was a finding, and see if he could duplicate it.

Missing it when not knowing is not near as determinant as not being able to duplicate it when knowing about it.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:01 AM

6,159 posts, read 3,422,114 times
Carpenter ants are a common issue up here! If there is no damage found that needs to be repaired, then basic treatment for carpenter ants involves perimeter spraying the entire house anywhere there is ground contact. We do this on a quarterly basis as a preventative and it’s not terribly expensive... around $140 for both our house and garage outbuilding. Takes them about a half an hour to do.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:05 AM

44,210 posts, read 42,737,828 times
Carpenter ants eat termites, but a termite inspection is a regular part of the inspection process where I live. I would hope it is where you are as well.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:40 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,284,773 times
I replaced my 4 x 6 full cut columns on a 15 year old house. The carpenter ants had damaged the corner one, which was also the one most dried out and exposed. Cost 20 usd each at home Depot, but were special order. The barrier of the house was likely breached, when they put a driveway in. The regular service can be a racket, depending on where you live. Seen some shoddy floor joist repairs that were apparently good enough for inspectors, but just made me shake my head. Spent some time in crawl spaces in 100 year old homes in Phoenix. A lot of people start the service, after there is damage..

Old 09-01-2019, 09:05 AM

6,854 posts, read 8,213,434 times
Carpenter ants could be living anywhere nearby. I wouldn't be too concerned if only two carpenter ants were found by the house. Now, if you see a whole swarm of them congregating in a particular area, that's another matter. Check it out but don't be overly worried.

Old Today, 05:59 PM

14,089 posts, read 33,206,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Carpenter ants could be living anywhere nearby. I wouldn't be too concerned if only two carpenter ants were found by the house. Now, if you see a whole swarm of them congregating in a particular area, that's another matter. Check it out but don't be overly worried.
If the carpenter ants had wings then it is much more concerning as those are swarmers that will start new colonies. In 3-6 years, the house will have a nice large colony of ants if they were swarmers.

Out here the annual package is about $400 (quarterly treatments) or the one-time treatments are about $150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or