U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 02:57 PM

8,493 posts, read 6,370,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Anytime you bury anything, if it isn't done with proper compaction, I would expect there would be a risk of the ground sinking later which can be a headache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
I would want documentation of proper removal. Not just pushed in and filled in. I would want photographs of work in progress and completion. I have done this with major repairs on my existing house.

And regarding old pools. I was interested in one house in DE that had an old pool. Realtor told me to remove the pool properly would be around 10K.
If the walls are pushed in that's what matters. Removing is a bit overkill. Think about it, old septic tanks aren't removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 03:09 PM

10,430 posts, read 6,471,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Why fill in a pool just before selling...someone may want the pool. someone may want to fix that skimmer, that built in hot tub, those few cracks. BUT sounds like it's probably more than simple fixes so the owners just filled it in.
The pool at our old house was a pain in the ass, big money pit. I said that I would never have another pool. Ha, the new house we fell in love with has a dang pool. It's smaller, a third the size of our old one. We are still thinking of taking it out this fall though, getting prices now.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:17 AM

3,736 posts, read 1,700,188 times
During the recession when I was checking on "monster" homes I ran across a couple that had pools that you wish didn't have them. Pools are expensive to maintain and when people stop maintaining them they can turn into a stinky nasty marshes. Something so unappealing that you can never unsee it, and likely could never truly enjoy the prospect of taking a dip into it and would never invite anyone but your closest frenemies over to enjoy.

https://www.watersafetymagazine.com/...safety-covers/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gerriev/14015534456

Old 09-05-2019, 09:06 AM

10,887 posts, read 10,374,997 times
i personally wouldn't buy a home with a filled in pool.

even if I didn't prefer a pool (which I do), I'd rather have a lot that has never had anything dug into it...for safety concerns.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:39 AM

6,200 posts, read 3,455,944 times
If the pool was broken up, filled with clean fill and it has been reasonably compacted and finished, I wouldn't be concerned at all about a filled-in pool.

Old Today, 10:51 PM

3,363 posts, read 5,217,037 times
Whoops didn't mean to abandon this thread!

Quote:
What makes you think it was filled in rather than demolished and removed?
I have no idea, I just know it is gone and the realtor confirmed there was indeed one there when he showed it to someone else last year.

More background...home is being sold by an estate and has been empty for a few years. It was way overpriced and has sat through multiple "selling seasons" and now has been re-listed at a more reasonable price. I suspect the pool wasn't in awesome shape and might have been expensive for the estate to maintain and/or fix.

FWIW, if the pool was still there, I'm not so sure we would be interested in the property. It was clearly old (up to 50 years) and I can tell from the aerial pictures it wouldn't be very suitable for a family with young children (it was mostly deep with a very small shallow end). The fact that it is removed is a major plus for us as we didn't want one anyway and especially not one that was a safety hazard and a money pit. I just want to make sure it wont cause long term issues. It's a nice flat area for a patio or swingset in a sloped yard now!

At any rate, the mystery should be solved soon enough, because we have asked for more info/documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or