Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 11:11 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times

Advertisements

We are interested in a home that has had the pool recently filled in--I can tell it is recent because you can still see the pool via Google Maps and the pictures on the listing show fresh dirtwork.

What would you want to ask to know/ask to ensure the work was done correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 05:53 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
Did they get a permit to do it? Your suppose to in most places. Call your city and ask if it needs a permit and if it does what are the requirements?

Old 09-02-2019, 06:41 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
On top of whether or not there was a permit pulled, I would want to know how it was filled in. Did they collapse the pool and leave all this cement in the hole? was it all removed from the site? What did they do with all the piping? How about the wiring for the pool pump in the filter? basically, I would want to know where things physically removed from the property or were they just left under the dirt.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:08 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,332,410 times
How it was filled in is very important, but the main question is why was it filled in ??

Old 09-02-2019, 09:11 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Very likely it was filled in because it needed expensive repairs and it was more expensive than the pool was worth.

I would want to make sure the liner was broken up enough so that the pool won't hold water, or drain too slowly, and cause a drainage problem.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:15 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Why fill in a pool just before selling...someone may want the pool. someone may want to fix that skimmer, that built in hot tub, those few cracks. BUT sounds like it's probably more than simple fixes so the owners just filled it in.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:50 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
I would want to know if anyone was missing mysteriously in the neighborhood. Seems odd prior to sale and a little creepy.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:12 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I would want to know if anyone was missing mysteriously in the neighborhood. Seems odd prior to sale and a little creepy.
Lots of people don't want a pool -- it can actually be a negative in many areas, especially in cooler areas where you might only be able to use the pool for a couple months of the year. Some people with young kids consider it a death trap and won't even look at a house with a pool. So it may have been that, for whatever reason, their house wasn't attracting potential buyers, so they filled it in.

A house in a previous neighborhood where I lived filled in the pool mostly for this reason. As it turned out, the people who eventually did buy it wish it had a pool. But it's not totally insane for someone to do it.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:52 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Lots of people don't want a pool -- it can actually be a negative in many areas, especially in cooler areas where you might only be able to use the pool for a couple months of the year. Some people with young kids consider it a death trap and won't even look at a house with a pool. So it may have been that, for whatever reason, their house wasn't attracting potential buyers, so they filled it in.

A house in a previous neighborhood where I lived filled in the pool mostly for this reason. As it turned out, the people who eventually did buy it wish it had a pool. But it's not totally insane for someone to do it.

This is spot on!

My buddy lived in a house for 20 years with a pool. Dad was in construction, brought home a bulldozer one day and filled in the pool. Caved the walls in/backfilled with dirt. Pool was gone.

Best part 15+ years later someone we knew bought the house and my buddy told them about the "treasure" buried in the back yard.

Not sure why you would need a permit to demo a pool.........it is buried, not sure you could do it wrong.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:06 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Are you hinting that maybe Sally and the kids didn't really go off to visit her sick sister in the boondocks of the Alaskan wilderness where there are no phones or mail service?

Actually, sellers faced with a horrid pool may be afraid it turns off more potential buyers compared to the few that may not be bothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate