U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 09:42 PM

6,880 posts, read 8,229,642 times

Advertisements

Take care of the repairs that you feel comfortable doing and discount the price for the others. I don't think that you need to move elsewhere while repairs are being made. If you're going to replace the carpet, just make sure that is the last repair that gets done, right before listing. You also might consider discounting the price to to tune of what it would cost to have the carpet replaced. Let the buyers choose what color and style they want. You could even have it installed prior to closing. (Although new carpeting will definitely make the house show better.)

Our family had to make the same kinds of decisions when we listed my parent's house for sale. It needed painting and repairs--and new carpeting--but we chose to sell it as-is. The buyer's got a good price and we were relieved of the headaches involved with having the major repairs done (we did several smaller ones). In the end our net wasn't substantially different than what it would have been had we done all of the repairs. Buyers oftentimes underestimate the cost of making significant repairs and upgrades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 05:17 AM

954 posts, read 642,290 times
I would do the updates, put your house for sale in March/April , spring season is when many buyers are looking to buy. If I saw pet damage not repaired, I probably would pass. I would wonder if the pets used the house to potty in. I have walked out of houses I was looking at for this very reason. Get a crate the cat will hate it, but you don't have a choice if its going to destroy the carpet. Put it up for sale early, you can always get a realtor to help you find a rental in your area. Put anything you don't absolutely need in a pod at your new home. You will pay rental fees but it will be cheaper to do that. Then when you do move in its alot easier to move your stuff from driveway to home.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:31 AM

954 posts, read 858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Also, in other posts, I have read that people will see a low price on a house that needs repairs and try to take it down even further, and that listing a house "as is" is an instant turn-off to most buyers. Is that true in your experience?
Buyers will almost always test the waters to see whether they can get a better price on a property; listing "as is" doesn't factor into that.

A couple of years ago I helped sell a house for an elderly relative who had to move into assisted living. The house was almost 40 years old and had only minimal improvements since it was built. We had to remove carpet from one set of stairs entirely because it was soaked with cat pee (ugh).

We had the place professionally cleaned -- and wow, did that make a difference! -- and listed it at a very attractive "as is" price. A bidding war ensued, and the property sold for 10% over asking within a week.

So my $0.02:

Talk to an agent ASAP and get a reading on where your market is headed and what repairs NEED to be made.

List early in the season and price it so that it is a real deal vs. the comparables.

A lot of your strategy and chance for success will depend on market conditions in your area.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:45 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,293,434 times
What would the lot be worth, without the house?

Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 AM

7,340 posts, read 1,608,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
What would the lot be worth, without the house?
I think it was appraised for something like $140,000 (according to our last property tax statement), but it is definitely not a teardown type of property.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:51 AM

153 posts, read 87,064 times
I feel so much depends on the seller's attitude and perspective. If you want to sell quickly you'll need to treat this like a business transaction - expect pushy prospective buyers, address their concerns in a professional manner (i.e., not be insulted by concerns they express), and be willing to sell at a market clearing price (not what you think the house is worth).

Yes, get advice from multiple local Realtors, but be wary of those who say they can get you your dream price - many will promise the moon just to get the listing, then make excuses when it sits for months.

The pet urine smell is a huge problem - cat pee is particularly pungent and people hate to smell it or see damage pets inflicted on the wood or carpets. In fact, many people these days prefer houses with minimal or no carpeting, which gets back to the point some others have raised - do very minimal updating/renovation. Most buyers won't appreciate or be willing to pay for the renovations you make.

Keep the cats away from the carpet by any means necessary and ensure the house smells neutral - no musty or pet odors.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
I feel so much depends on the seller's attitude and perspective. If you want to sell quickly you'll need to treat this like a business transaction - expect pushy prospective buyers, address their concerns in a professional manner (i.e., not be insulted by concerns they express), and be willing to sell at a market clearing price (not what you think the house is worth).

Yes, get advice from multiple local Realtors, but be wary of those who say they can get you your dream price - many will promise the moon just to get the listing, then make excuses when it sits for months.

The pet urine smell is a huge problem - cat pee is particularly pungent and people hate to smell it or see damage pets inflicted on the wood or carpets. In fact, many people these days prefer houses with minimal or no carpeting, which gets back to the point some others have raised - do very minimal updating/renovation. Most buyers won't appreciate or be willing to pay for the renovations you make.

Keep the cats away from the carpet by any means necessary and ensure the house smells neutral - no musty or pet odors.
Just to be clear -- there is NOT a urine problem!!! The problem is with our cat scratching the heck out of the stair area (but the carpet is old, is not a neutral color, and needs replacing anyway).

Also, just btw, the downstairs is entirely stone tile -- it is just the stairs, the bedrooms upstairs, and the finished basement that are carpeted.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:11 AM

28,944 posts, read 63,120,597 times
Quote:
The problem is with our cat scratching the heck out of the stair area ...
Then do the damaged area carpeting. But not more.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:06 PM

3,262 posts, read 1,976,552 times
Quote:
Just to be clear -- there is NOT a urine problem!!! The problem is with our cat scratching the heck out of the stair area (but the carpet is old, is not a neutral color, and needs replacing anyway).

Also, just btw, the downstairs is entirely stone tile -- it is just the stairs, the bedrooms upstairs, and the finished basement that are carpeted.
Is there a way to keep the cat confined to the non-carpeted area after you replace it? Or is there someone who can watch the cat for a few weeks (who, I guess, doesn't have a lot of carpet)?

We had a cat who scratched and were involved in a corporate move and in temporary housing for a while. We were able to put these clear nail covers over his claws, and that largely kept him from scratching the furniture and carpet while we were there. Maybe something like that could help.

Remember it's a temporary thing -- so even if the cat is not pleased, it's only for a short time.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:19 PM

An update -- Just got the offer from Opendoor, which was $415k before fees, and $380 after fees, but before repairs. However, we replied that we thought the $415k figure is low, based on the two closest comps and Zillow/Redfin values ($442k, $440k, $435k, and $434k), so we will see what happens next! Still, the final figure will probably be much better than we and many of you were anticipating!

Anyway, thanks again for all the opinions and advice, and I will update this thread as I get more info. (Just in case anyone is interested.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or