Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 07:56 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,251,642 times

Advertisements

We have been updating a house in Cenenntial CO (south central Denver) in preparation for putting the house on the market early next year. About 7 years ago I put the solar air heater in the link below the picture in this house. I love this thing.. During the winter and on sunny days, it is like having a space heater set on "mid" running when the sun is up. We have a set back thermostat and during the day, the room with this solar space heater always felt very comfortable. It was basically completely free heat every sunny day.

So now in about three months, the house will go on the market. I am somewhat torn on what to do with this and I somewhat would like to keep the antique laundry stove.

Im soon interviewing a couple real estate folks for listing the house and will get their opinion on this. Honestly I will be swayed by someone who shares my enthusiasm for this.

But.. will this hurt selling the house??

This is that it looks like inside the house, the link below the picture has details of what is outside and how it works.

Solar Space Heater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
About 7 years ago I put the solar air heater in the link below the picture in this house. I love this thing...
But.. will this hurt selling the house??
Mostly it comes down to HOW MANY buyers in that market would also like it ...
and/or how many of this sub set would be willing to pay even an extra 10¢ to have it.

A more professionally done (re-done?) install job and a warranty of some sort would go a long way.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:15 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Does it fit with the rest of the house?

Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Fit with the rest of the house.. You might be asking the wrong person (retired engineer.. LOL).

The wall where the solar space heater is located would have been a great spot for passive solar but when this tract home was was built, that did not matter.

We have put all new carpet in the house, painted inside and outside, updated granite kitchen counter, all updated electrical outlets (Aluminum wiring), good school district (Cherry Creek) and less than 1000 ft to an elementary school.

Picture of the rest of the room - we are also in the process of moving out of the house.

One option would be to replace the antique laundry stove with some sort of wood cabinet that housed the air intake and output. It might look better and I could keep the old stove.

Attached Thumbnails
selling with this unusual solar  contraption-solar_heater2.jpg  

Last edited by waltcolorado; 09-12-2019 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times
Honestly, I can see it making any difference other than being a novelty.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
It is a matter of personal taste.

I personally can't stand antique stoves like that and would not want it in my home, and the solar set-up, while interesting and innovative, looks like a DIY project on steroids that would be a red flag.

I agree that having it professionally re-engineered to a more standard set-up would be better. Your main goal is not to intentionally do anything that limits your buying pool.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Your main goal is not to intentionally do anything that limits your buying pool.
Yep.. and that is concerning. Im inclined to just leave it mostly as is as I still have a lot of other things that need attention and limited time. Im also thinking any more money invested in this is money I wont get back.

No huge red flags "yet" so Im thinking I will just add it to the list of things that can be negotiated. Its still a fairly good market here and I think that will also influence what I do with this.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:41 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Im also thinking any more money invested in this is money I wont get back.
Of course you won't get it back but that's not why those things are done.
It's about not distracting the buyers with question mark issues that start other "conversations"
let alone the negotiations that would be required - when most buyers can just move on to the next prospect.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:33 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Wait for it to be a problem before fixing it.

Isn't it starting to become cold up that way? If a buyer walks into a nice warm room and finds out it's heated for free, seems to me that would be a good selling point. It's also entirely grid free so in case of the grid going down in winter, you'd still have heat in the house.

Leave it there and let any potential buyer decide to ask for it to be removed if necessary.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:13 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It is a matter of personal taste.

I personally can't stand antique stoves like that and would not want it in my home, and the solar set-up, while interesting and innovative, looks like a DIY project on steroids that would be a red flag.

I agree that having it professionally re-engineered to a more standard set-up would be better. Your main goal is not to intentionally do anything that limits your buying pool.
Agree completely. I wouldn't bother asking for it to be removed, I'd just move on to a different house. I'm not saying no one would buy the house with it, but I do think you'd eliminate a fair number of people from the pool of potential buyers.

When you interview real estate agents, I'd ask for specific details on their marketing plan for how they are going to reach out to possible buyers who would be interested in something like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate