U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

955 posts, read 643,646 times

Advertisements

For a 3k allowance i wouldn't bother . It hs to make it worth my time. Otherwise buy a house that looks nice, is already updated. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

3,806 posts, read 9,349,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Great insight knowing your closeby market. Curious...what color granite is prefered? (There's something people like to use where I am that is like granite, but not, still a good stone and all white. I myself find many dark veins jarring.) Interested in the opinions of varieties of the same product.

All the best in your sale.
Thanks.

They prefer a white granite with light grey markings. They definitely don't like black granite or the yellowish granite.

Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

1,503 posts, read 674,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
We will be selling one of our home that is currently rented. Tenant is moving out soon.
Before talking to an agent just want to get an input. We want to sell the house as is. It will need new carpet and walls painted

Does it help if we list the house and then giving $3k towards new carpet and paint. Will this attract buyers if not what can attract buyers?
New paint makes a house look clean. Definitely paint. If the carpet is badly stained, it calls into question how well the house has been cared for overall. Depends on how bad it is.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

5,810 posts, read 4,563,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Can you not just price it for the condition it's in???
^^^^that

Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM

234 posts, read 144,952 times
Thanks to everyone for your input.I just wanted to hear from the expects. I think we might steam clean the carpet and paint the place. What colors to people prefer? This is a 3 bedroom townhome.

How about offering money towards closing? Does that help? I want to have best info for when we list the property.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,978,048 times
It's hard to answer because it will depend on your particular market. If it's a hot market, it probably won't make much difference -- more people will be able to look past minor cosmetic things because they want to get into a house.

But if it's a slower market, people really need to feel moved in order to make an offer. They want to feel at home, and a lot of that comes from intangible items. They need to imagine themselves living there, and if things come off as dirty and outdated, or in any way "icky" or cold, they won't imagine themselves there. They might not even know what it is that's giving them a warm and fuzzy or a cold and icky feeling. They just know they have it.

So, the best thing to do is to make the house seem as much as possible like a home -- think like a model home or a fancy hotel. If the carpets are so bad that they detract from this feeling, you might need to replace them even though there are many buyers who are going to rip out the carpet first thing anyway.

As far as paint, I'd go with something like a "greige" -- a grey with warm undertones. That will go with anything.

We bought a house in a hot market that sat and sat and sat on the market. At one point, the realtor repainted all of the walls to a very light yellow/off white color and I swear that was a disservice and probably made the house sit on the market longer. It made everything look awful and made the house feel cold, dirty and very un-homey. Two of the homes I've lived in were homes that were on the market for a very long time, with several price reductions. One home was on the market for a little while, but had lots of competition from other homes. All three I had painted similar colors (various shades of blue and gray). The first two homes sold right away when I sold them -- one had two offers on the first day it was on the market, and the second one sold in two weeks in a slow market in January when another house in the neighborhood on a better lot with a nicer outside, but horribly staged, with white walls and weird furniture placement sat on the market for 9 months and eventually was removed from the market.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

73 posts, read 52,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
Thanks to everyone for your input.I just wanted to hear from the expects. I think we might steam clean the carpet and paint the place. What colors to people prefer? This is a 3 bedroom townhome.
Yes, you should definitely repaint the place. Never underestimate the power of a fresh coat of paint as it truly goes a long way making a home look clean, tidy and fresh. Buyers notice all the little details so doing these few easy steps to prep your home before listing it on the market really makes a difference. Yes, I agree on steam cleaning the carpets. My cousin recently had his carpets cleaned and they came out looking brand new and it surely fooled all his guests thinking the carpets were new. Paint the walls a beautiful light grey color as that is the current trend and what all the houses are now using. Good luck on your sale!

Last edited by possibleyou; Yesterday at 08:44 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,456,301 times
how long has it been since you lived there, and how long since you saw the inside?

Since it's a townhouse, there should be some comps, bot done and "cosmetically as-is" that have sold. Either in your neighborhood, or nearby.

But if it's likely to remain a rental, then assuming it's in "OK" shape, the investors won't care that much.

Old Today, 06:33 AM

39,130 posts, read 15,385,022 times
Who the hell wants to move into a place that looks shabby?

Paint the place, and how expensive could new carpet be for a townhome?

Either that or knock a big chunk off to entice those looking for a bargain.

$3K is not enough to entice me to move into a place that needs a bunch of work.

Old Today, 06:42 AM

5,570 posts, read 2,548,943 times
Most people have no imagination. They cannot visualize anything that's not right in front of them. They will be turned off by shabby carpets and walls that need painting. You can knock off twice the cost of doing the job from the price and they'll still go "ewwww, dirty, can't live there". Do you want to exclude all those people from your potential customers? As far as I'm concerned, clean and good repair is the baseline for selling a house. I'd have to see your carpets to say for sure, but the fact that you're concerned about it indicates to me that you'd probably be better off having fresh new cheap carpet installed. Painting is non-negotiable in my mind.

Real estate agents will almost always default to what's easiest - drop the price. I think they all go to sleep chanting "drop the price, drop the price, drop the price". But remember that your selling agent's interest and yours aren't identical. As with any time you hire a professional, you need to listen attentively to their advice, consider what additional motivations they may have, and decide accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or