U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:09 AM

18,844 posts, read 20,809,442 times

Advertisements

Sounds to me like the contractor is in breach of contract. I would go after their bond to finish the repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:11 AM

5,990 posts, read 6,843,146 times
Basically you have been swindled. Maybe not so overtly, but you have been had.

Cut your losses.

Do what your attorney suggests with the realtor....sue for damages or what have you.

Get rid of the contractor. Get your deposit back net of work completed, or sue for damages.

Start over. You now know what NOT to do.

Good luck.

Old Today, 09:24 AM

5 posts, read 227 times
Electrician 4 you, Ted Bear, thank you.
I strongly suspect you are correct and the RE company just wanted the listing.

Others:
Yes the RE contract states the property will be improved and listed for sale.

Thanks all !

Old Today, 09:35 AM

10,875 posts, read 5,100,859 times
OP - try using paragraphs when you post. It is much easier to read.

Old Today, 12:07 PM

18,844 posts, read 20,809,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Basically you have been swindled. Maybe not so overtly, but you have been had.

Cut your losses.

Do what your attorney suggests with the realtor....sue for damages or what have you.

Get rid of the contractor. Get your deposit back net of work completed, or sue for damages.

Start over. You now know what NOT to do.

Good luck.
I donít think letting go is the answer. I would not sue until all other avenues are exhausted. If you have a viable contract and the company has a bond i would seriously go after that bond to have the repairs completed. For future FYI you make the contractor pull a bond for the amount of the job plus 10% as a condition to submit a bid. This way if the contractor starts playing you you go after their bond. I would also file a complaint against his license if he has one.

Your biggest issue is youíre off site and they know it.

Old Today, 12:51 PM

14,098 posts, read 33,247,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I don't understand why you think that the real estate agent is your property manager. They are hired to sell the house, but they are not your landscapers, exterminators, etc. How were you managing this property prior to deciding to sell?
Actually a lot of agents help sellers get their home prepared for sale. I do it all the time. It is part of our service in helping them to determine what needs to be done to get the best bang for the buck. I have set up yard service and such for clients many times when they aren't local.

Old Today, 01:09 PM

9,152 posts, read 18,228,276 times
I'd move on. These people don't seem to have it together. Get money back if you put anything down.

Old Today, 01:50 PM

70 posts, read 25,957 times
They were going to add bedrooms to the property without having the work permitted? That could've been fun for all involved when it came to an interested buyer. Definitely separate yourself from these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or