U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 05:02 PM

6,692 posts, read 8,232,938 times

Advertisements

It's been quite a while since I looked at Trulia. I remember it's best feature was heat maps that broke sections near a big city into zones that were color coded based on high-med-low type values for home prices, safety, etc or created dot-type maps for gender, marrieds, age distribution, etc. All kinds of demographic features but layered onto maps.

Question: Is all that gone now? If not, how do we get there? Did the Zillow merger get rid of it?

City Data is great for drilling down in individual towns but Trulia used to give a wider visualization that was useful as a starting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM

964 posts, read 1,319,262 times
Looks like Zillow got rid of the real estate pricing maps. I assume that feature provided too much information for independent web research if Zillow wants to funnel potential customers through an affiliated realty agent instead. Perhaps maintaining and updating the mapping feature cost more in resources and support than the company wanted to spend. Probably both.

Trulia has a new neighborhood feature available for some areas. I tried it for Arlington VA (big expensive city) and several "Explore the Neighborhood" popped up. I then tried it for Galax VA (tiny inexpensive town) and no neighborhood info showed up. The neighborhood feature still has limited useful info about schools, crime map, etc. The realty value maps are gone. There are other online sites that provide such info. I believe that CD Terms of Service prevent my linking directly to them but one of the sites listed in https://www.investopedia.com/article...low-trulia.asp provides neighborhood real estate value mapping.

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

6,692 posts, read 8,232,938 times
Oh man so disappointed. I loved those maps.

They showed right away where the “best” parts of town were. That is, most expensive. You could also pick up on the areas attracting families with kids vs singles, and so forth. These are things realtors say they are forbidden to discuss.

Those other sites just kind of hash over the same general data, only formatted a little differently. Oh well.

Old Today, 06:21 AM

2,003 posts, read 866,351 times
Probably got accused of being racist because all the minority neighborhoods were red and discouraged people from looking there. Basically provided public proof that those areas and people are undesirable. Thats my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate