U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

10,961 posts, read 29,607,291 times

Advertisements

Right now it’s a slightly less good sellers market in Denver, with 2.4 houses to see per buyer.

Check out Megan Aller First American Title for Denver Market Stats on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:46 AM

5,995 posts, read 6,847,475 times
What sort of price point, generally speaking, are we talking?

If you are marketing to a middle income sort of client, they might appreciate the economics of the arrangement.

If we are talking in the $400's and up, get it out of the house. "I don't want that contraption in my house".

Now, about that aluminum wiring...I would be more concerned about that than I would the stove if I were looking at your place.

Old Today, 08:16 AM

10,638 posts, read 12,559,147 times
It wouldn't bother me as long as it is NOT screwed through the roof/siding and is easily removable.

Old Today, 08:45 AM

496 posts, read 584,300 times
Thanks everyone, very much appreciate the responses and feedback!!!

The house is on the lower end for this school district and town but prices in this area are fairly high. The house next door sold in one day this spring and the house a couple down took 2 to 3 weeks to sell less than a month ago. Both had aluminium wiring, one had been brought up to AL wiring standards, the other did not. Our house has been brought up to standards. Both sold for mid 400K range. Its a good neighborhood and a good school district. The amount both homes sold for somewhat reflect the seasonal variations that occur here (Denver area).

Regarding the solar contraption, looks like its one of those things that some will like, some will hate. Funny after all these years of it sitting there, I asked my wife about it and she does not like the old stove. I sort of have this thing for wood stoves so have really liked it.

So. another option.. The main part of the solar space heater is outside in a side yard that is out of sight and not really usable for anything. I dont have time to mess with it so it will stay. The antique stove actually did nothing for the heat, it was ornamental only so I can take it and it does not affect at all the heat output (I just somehow liked that the heat came from the area where the antique stove was).

When the stove is removed, the picture shows what is left. So. what my new task might be is to somehow hide this behind some sort of cabinet. Of course.. some will not like the cabinet I picked out..

If things work out we will put the house on the market in January and the solar heater would be running then.

Attached Thumbnails
selling with this unusual solar  contraption-space-heater.jpg  

Old Today, 09:08 AM

29,037 posts, read 63,203,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
The house is on the lower end for this school district and town but ...
...looks like its one of those things that some will like, some will hate.
...house on the market in January and the solar heater would be running then.
As others (and I) said you need to answer the Solar/PV yes/no questions locally.
But if it's working and uncomplicated that's probably a NoBigDeal issue in Colorado.

The cosmetic aspect of the exterior hardware and fittings is the bigger concern.
Even those who are on board with the system will want a nicer "fit & finish" to it all.
Limit (eliminate) the question marks that buyers/lookers can come up with.

Old Today, 09:23 AM

6,695 posts, read 8,232,938 times
It's a clever set-up.

But is it something that would normally require a permit? If so it may be a problem getting it permitted after the fact.

Is it something that would require special knowledge to maintain? If so, some homeowners would panic.

Can you sell the components to someone else? If so, you might feel better about uninstalling it, even if you don't get much for the parts.

Could the normal house heat be used successfully even without this free feature? If you don't really need the boost, many owners would prefer a simpler solution and not understand how cool your creation is.

Old Today, 09:29 AM

The only permit/liability issue with the solar is that I have both a air heater that uses a fan to push the air (no problem for either issue) but I also have a small PV (outputs electrical power) panel that runs the fan. Instead of having the PV panel run the fan directly, I bought a small grid tie inverter that takes the DC from the panel and puts the power back into the house AC. Its not a direct thing but the simplest and actually most efficient. So the fan can run off standard 110 VAC. The power from the panel is only enough to make up for that the fan uses. However, during the summer, I am still getting power from that PV panel but its really insignificant compared to what the normal power use of a house is.

The problem is that any time you put power back into the grid, the power company wants to be involved. I bought that small grid tie inverter from Amazon - probably designed and manufactured in China. It has no UL markings on it. Im comfortable with it (retired analog EE and designed similar sorts of things) but its a liability risk.

So the PV (electricity generating) panel will definitely get removed as well as the small grid tie inverter. Currently I am getting about 750 watts equivalent of heat completely free. Without the PV panel, it takes about 25 watts to get that 750 watts. Still good.. Dirt simple without the PV panel.. just a fan and a thermal switch located inside the air heater.

Of course the normal house gas furnace still keeps the house heated. All this does is keep a main living area warm on sunny days. I could accomplish the same thing by just disabling the house thermostant daily set back feature that lets the house cool during the day. Its pretty much like just having a space heater on half or mid setting that runs on sunny days.

Last edited by waltcolorado; Today at 09:39 AM..

Old Today, 09:54 AM

FYI, I dont think the air heater part needs a permit because..

The air heating panel itself is not attached the house at all.

There are two four inch holes through the wall that are not structural. Cold air in and hot air out pipes go through these two holes.

The house AC wiring was not changed at all. The "contraption" just plugs into an existing 110 VAC socket.

Old Today, 12:43 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,299,108 times
it's a horror show. Get rid of all that crap, spackle and paint. Don't ever mention it again.

Old Today, 02:11 PM

Quote:
it's a horror show. Get rid of all that crap, spackle and paint. Don't ever mention it again.
Reminds me why I dont like HOA's..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate