U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:43 PM

2,139 posts, read 919,769 times

Advertisements

It would be my guess there would be more who don't like it than do like it. But the ones who do like it could be a great selling point. The ones who don't like it you could says it could be removed and repaired easily if not wanted. I would prepare a information sheet on it explaining how it works. Also if not wanted how easy it would be to remove and that if not wanted you can remove and make repairs contingent on a sale. Or cash back to do repair and removal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:18 PM

872 posts, read 240,696 times
The buyer in an area with good schools won’t be interested and won’t appreciate a small scale economy this solar provides. It makes that part of the house unusable for a furniture arrangement and placement as it is occupies a valuable prominent space.
This could be a modern large TV wall or something more useable then this contraption.
It is a distraction and an oddity in most people’s eyes.
People want clear, clean and simple to maintain house.
If you have an honest realtor - they will tell you the same.
I would remove interior and exterior contraption and fix the hole in the house walls as well as remove all panels and posts outside.
Otherwise it is a liability: the house’s envelope and an air-sealing is breached.
It may complicate a house inspection even if a Buyer would overlook your set up- as it is not too difficult to remove, but it is a chore.
You would be better off removing all traces of this - it has no value: Unless you selling a hunting cabin or a camp- or if your house is in $100000 range- then it could possibly be accepted somewhat.

Last edited by Nik4me; Today at 04:43 PM..

Old Today, 04:23 PM

496 posts, read 584,300 times
Great feedback. Based on comments and trying to turn off the least amount of potential buyers, I looked for a cabinet and found one for $20 at a thrift shop so took the risk that it would fit around the air in and out (required cutting the cabinet some).

So.. Im keeping the antique laundry coal stove (wont go with the house) and here is close to what this will end up looking like. Still some work to do but that will happen later.

I had it running today and it cranks the heat out. I like it.. but not everyone will.

Attached Thumbnails
selling with this unusual solar  contraption-space-heater1.jpg   selling with this unusual solar  contraption-space-heater2.jpg  

Old Today, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
it's a horror show. Get rid of all that crap, spackle and paint. Don't ever mention it again.
Thank you for making me laugh
Like your honesty and being a straightforward!
On the money!

Old Today, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Great feedback. Based on comments and trying to turn off the least amount of potential buyers, I looked for a cabinet and found one for $20 at a thrift shop so took the risk that it would fit around the air in and out (required cutting the cabinet some).

So.. Im keeping the antique laundry coal stove (wont go with the house) and here is close to what this will end up looking like. Still some work to do but that will happen later.

I had it running today and it cranks the heat out. I like it.. but not everyone will.

Please don’t hide it in a cabinet: you must disclose this to the buyer- otherwise you may lose the sale after it will be discovered during a final walk through- remove it and fix the wall or tell them that you will fix it once the house is sold- so for now you still can heat your house

Old Today, 04:34 PM

Quote:
If you have an honest realtor - they will tell you the same.
We will see (talking to someone next week) and not being able to move that cabinet is a real issue. I dont spend the winter in the house anymore (part of the reason Im getting rid of it) but the last few years that I did and got to work at home a fair amount, the room that had the solar space heater in it was very pleasantly cozy. Older people dont tolerate the cold as well and I would be freezing my axx off on cloudy days. I really liked it..

Old Today, 05:07 PM

21,539 posts, read 12,162,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
As others (and I) said you need to answer the Solar/PV yes/no questions locally.
But if it's working and uncomplicated that's probably a NoBigDeal issue in Colorado.

The cosmetic aspect of the exterior hardware and fittings is the bigger concern.
Even those who are on board with the system will want a nicer "fit & finish" to it all.
Limit (eliminate) the question marks that buyers/lookers can come up with.
I can only assume you've never been to Colorado. But this house is in a Denver suburb, not some cabin in the middle of no where. This is not going to be ok for the majority of buyers IMO speaking as someone who has lived in Denver for over a dozen years

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post

I disliked the old stove, but that is a million times worse and also looks like furniture that wouldn't convey. If I walked into a supposedly empty house after closing and found it there or during a pre-closing walk through, I'd be on the phone to my agent demanding you come back and remove your piece of crappy furniture.

You need to decide between marketing that explicitly as a selling feature to the small group of people who would be interested in it, or removing it and repairing everything so it looks like it was never there. I vote for the latter for the easier sale

Old Today, 05:42 PM

Thanks again for the opinions. I am meeting with a couple real estate agents who sell in the area and may post what I learn. At the moment, I have enough votes.

The thread direction is of little use now, hope you dont mind if I only hand pick the posts to respond to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate