U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 10:14 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,368,039 times

Advertisements

I don't see a problem with the listing---I prefer empty houses and I bought my current one empty. I can envision what I'd be doing with decor and furniture.

I have a much bigger problem with the listing. Terrible description and no mention of features/benefits/neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 AM

6,251 posts, read 3,487,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This is certainly not the worst listing I've ever seen. It's just perfectly illustrative of what I see when people talk about houses that never sell. When I was moving, there was another house on our same street that had a better lot, was actually a nicer house from the outside, and if its potential had been maximized would have been a much better house than ours' was. They listed three months before we did, had several price drops, and about six months after we sold our's they eventually decided not to move and took the house off the market. Our house sold in 2 weeks in the dead of winter. Anyone who looked at our house absolutely would have looked at the house down the street. It had the exact same problems that I see in this listing.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...e3-RDC#photo47
Agree with you that the pictures aren't helping much in selling this house.

Too many repetitive pictures of the front.

iphone picture lens that makes the rooms look cavernous without really feeling roomy. They look like long spaces with tiny furniture at the end.

Furniture does appear to be left-behind odds and ends.... and what is there is pushed all the way to the walls. The little stuff should have come out of the bedrooms.... and in the living rooms, if there was to be furniture, they should have arranged the couches in to a nice sitting area in front of the fireplace where people who like each other could sit and talk - hopefully about how much they love the house. As it is, they look like places you might send two people who didn't get along.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-13-2019 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-13-2019, 10:42 AM

1,187 posts, read 798,735 times
I don't hate it, but what jumped out to me is that everything is builder's grade and nothing has been touched since it was built 17 years ago. It could be made beautiful (for a price) with a kitchen upgrade, a nice deck in the back yard, and some bathroom updating. Those sink faucets scream 'big box store'!

Old 09-13-2019, 11:00 AM

THIS is the kind of staging I hate when I see it in advertisements and magazines, and I just saw this one in a live listing. I will often forgive amateurs, but I'm quite sure this is the work of a professional.

WHO puts LIT candles on a tray and sets them on a bed? WHO DOES THAT?

The scene is supposed to be relaxing, but it makes me really nervous. Maybe it's because I used to own a Labrador.
Attached Thumbnails
This is what I mean by a really crappy listing-getmedia.jpg  

Old 09-13-2019, 11:11 AM

4,210 posts, read 7,482,853 times
My guess: this was grandma’s house, she went in a nursing home, the grandkids took the furniture they wanted and left the rest. Or there was an auction and this was the stuff that didn’t sell.

All those cheap sheer curtains! The living room would be 100 percent improved by taking them down and leaving those nice big windows open to the outside.

Definitely a shrine to builder grade everything.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:11 AM

12,065 posts, read 20,626,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
THIS is the kind of staging I hate when I see it in advertisements and magazines, and I just saw this one in a live listing. I will often forgive amateurs, but I'm quite sure this is the work of a professional.

The scene is supposed to be relaxing, but it makes me really nervous. Maybe it's because I used to own a Labrador.
I think those are flameless LED candles that have plastic flames that wiggle like real flames when on. Those arenít cheap, but, I agree with you. I find the whole thing of undressing the bed at night completely ridiculous.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:17 AM

OK but even if it's not on fire.... the kids or dog would tip the whole thing over when they ran in and it makes me nervous.

Just say no to precarious situations in staging... that's my motto.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:24 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,990,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
I don't share your hate for the presentation. I actually prefer empty houses -- I'm not buying the furnishings! It's not my style (I dislike carpet, for example) but if it doesn't sell it probably will be because it's late in the season or there are issues with the neighborhood, not because of the listing.
I prefer empty, too. This one is not empty.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:37 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,990,289 times
Quote:

LOL. Yes, that is strange, and I might have the same thought, BUT, other than that little thing, I think the room actually does look quite nice, and it is inviting.

Quote:
Agree with you that the pictures aren't helping much in selling this house.

Too many repetitive pictures of the front.

iphone picture lens that makes the rooms look cavernous without really feeling roomy. They look like long spaces with tiny furniture at the end.

Furniture does appear to be left-behind odds and ends.... and what is there is pushed all the way to the walls. The little stuff should have come out of the bedrooms.... and in the living rooms, if there was to be furniture, they should have arranged the couches in to a nice sitting area in front of the fireplace where people who like each other could sit and talk - hopefully about how much they love the house. As it is, they look like places you might send two people who didn't get along.
Exactly! The room with the couches just looks awful with the couches pushed against the walls the way they are. At the very least, they should have been placed the way someone living in the house would actually place them, so it would create a conversation area. Probably near the fireplace. But having the couches the way they are, IMHO, just makes the room look worse than if there were nothing in it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I don't hate it, but what jumped out to me is that everything is builder's grade and nothing has been touched since it was built 17 years ago. It could be made beautiful (for a price) with a kitchen upgrade, a nice deck in the back yard, and some bathroom updating. Those sink faucets scream 'big box store'!
Yes - builder's grade from 17 years ago, and everything as cheap as possible. It just looks -- cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
My guess: this was grandmaís house, she went in a nursing home, the grandkids took the furniture they wanted and left the rest. Or there was an auction and this was the stuff that didnít sell.

All those cheap sheer curtains! The living room would be 100 percent improved by taking them down and leaving those nice big windows open to the outside.

Definitely a shrine to builder grade everything.
I don't think this was Grandma's house. In that area, there certainly are houses that Grandma would have lived in, but they would be much older. All that builder's grade stuff just makes it look like they didn't care about the house at all. (Although the yard does seem nicely maintained, so it's not like it was totally neglected, just not lovingly lived in.)

I did live in this area and know lots of people who live there now. Even for the area, this is priced low. There are a few major employers not very far away. It's a terrible commute to the city of Philadelphia, but if you work for Merck or Pfizer, it's pretty good.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:29 PM

245 posts, read 120,771 times
Thankfully there are "bad listings" like this otherwise most of us wouldn't of gotten our ugly starter houses. That's where we learned some skills and quickly identified the projects that required the professionals. My first house -yeesh- it was ugly in photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate